Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Mar 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,396 of 5,379
I am back finally after being off head-fi for about half a year, it feels nice to be back :)

hello everyone hope you enjoy these pictures.

some old:

some new: 

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,397 of 5,379
The UPS man dropped off a few presents for me this afternoon. The first package was the bundle of The Thermals albums that I preordered from Sub Pop a while back. It includes F---in A, The Body, The Blood, The Machine, and More Parts Per Million. I haven't taken the shrink off yet but they're pressed on colored vinyl. It should look pretty sharp. Truthfully, I'm just glad to have gotten the vinyl of any variation.

They also threw in the No Culture Icons 7" and a few stickers, which was a nice bonus. I should order directly from labels more often.

The records are a great surprise and I look forward to listening to them but what really has my attention is the other package that the UPS delivery agent dropped off: a used Realistic LAB-420 turntable. I love my Technics SL1400 and SL1500 but I found a good deal and had to jump on it. I've been wanting to get a table with a wood plinth and auto-return for my living room rig. Even though it's just a veneer, I love how it looks.

I still need to clean it up and get it level. It'll make a good weekend project but before I adjust the feet, I want to get a new storage shelf for my records and get things set up on top of that (turntable, phono stage, headphone amp, headphone stands). I'll probably bribe my brother into taking me to Target to grab one tomorrow afternoon. In addition to that, I want to grab a tracking force gauge to make sure it's set properly. The cart I have on there now (Shure M97xe) wants 1.75g of tracking force with the brush down so I'd love to verify that with a scale.

Sorry for the dark, poorly composed photos. I forgot to grab my 18-55mm lens so I had to take them with my 50mm prime. I've got a broken leg so I had take the pictures from a seated position, which meant having to hold the camera above my head and avoid shaking long enough for the shutter to close. I'll be retaking the pictures once I get everything situated. I'll pull out the tripod for that occasion.

I listened to Peter Gabriel's So (you can probably see part of his head on the lower portion of one of the pictures) and the table sounds great. I'll reserve full judgement until I do a thorough set up, though. The alignment and overhang all seemed to check out but I may still need to tweak a thing or two.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,399 of 5,379
Much better 
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #1,400 of 5,379
Thanks. I'm in the process of moving, so I had it boxed up in the closet. But, MorbidToaster was killing me with all the pix inside the "What are you listening to now?" thread. So, I'm gonna keep the TT out for another 30 days...
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,402 of 5,379
Forever. IT STAYS OUT FOREVER. :)

It'll give you time to save for a proper isolation platform for it. :D

...or you could just permanently retire your DAC-1 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Steve Hoffman forums started me on those pictures, and now I can't stop. 

EDIT: I move soon and it'll be moving in my lap in the car. lol.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm in the process of moving, so I had it boxed up in the closet. But, MorbidToaster was killing me with all the pix inside the "What are you listening to now?" thread. So, I'm gonna keep the TT out for another 30 days...
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #1,410 of 5,379
Quote:

here a few pics you wanted analogsurviver

Thank you for the pics - Kate Bush; the very same album I listened to the other day while in my record cleaning frenzy mode!

Now - you have failed to post the most interesting picture - that is of the platter which is unique due to the material from which it is made. I see you are using a mat of some sort - which does reduce somewhat the dynamics this extraordinary table is capable of.

Both Walker CJ55s I am familiar with are very good armed - one with SME Series III, another with even better Mission 774. The plain external appearence or simple wooden subchassis ( seen partly in the pic without the main platter ) do not inspire confidence or desire to fit it with so high quality arms - SQ of the table on the other hand does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back