Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #796 of 5,379
Don't know what arm you plan to pair it with....(I have no experience with the carts you mentioned)

I'm a big fan of ZYX carts and love the R100H (0.48mV).  Second choice is Dynavector Karat 17D3 (0.3mV).  These are suitable with light(ish) mass arms.

Happy hunting
happy_face1.gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #797 of 5,379
The Rondo cart seems like the choice to beat so far (due to the 310LP being right at 100 ohm). That Dynavector at .3 is definitely one I'll look into though it seems it's on the higher side of the budget. 

EDIT: My dealer recommended the Shelter 501 mkII. Reading up on it a little bit and it seems like a good buy (again stretching the budget).

Quote:
Don't know what arm you plan to pair it with....(I have no experience with the carts you mentioned)

I'm a big fan of ZYX carts and love the R100H (0.48mV).  Second choice is Dynavector Karat 17D3 (0.3mV)

Happy hunting
happy_face1.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #800 of 5,379

I really like the artwork and overall attention to detail! It makes me greedy.

All this in stark contrast to the lyrics unfortunately. Never judge a book by it's cover. Or as somebody else said it (and more to the point) like white chalked graves (white and shiny on the outside but the stench of death inside). That's maybe not so much a matter of taste as it is choice. But it's your choice of course.

On another note...

I received my Okki Nokkie record cleaner today. :biggrin:
So now I'm cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. And I dug up my bottle of Milty Permostat. Now I can safely apply it to a clean record and a good platter to apply it. No more static! :wink_face:

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #801 of 5,379
Quote:
No wonder you got the Blue.
wink.gif
Very nice!

Just packed it up.  Exchanging it for a black.  I tried for 28 days to let the two blues (Sonett's Bugatti blue is wonderful) sit well next to each other, but they weren't.  The Traveler's blue is fine on its own, maybe a hair dark for me, but it was fine, until I looked at the Sonett.

I never REALLY paid attention to how many different shades of blue there are in my life!  Wow!  Black is black, and that's simple, and that's more my style.

Thumbsup for Musicdirect.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #802 of 5,379
50 shades of blue? 

I never really cared for the Bugatti blue before, but after a while it really grows on you. I dig it now, it's got that retro look to it. 

Black is simple. You only have to choose whether you want piano black (gloss finish) or matte. 

How's that Traveler of yours?

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #803 of 5,379
Quote:
50 shades of blue? 

I never really cared for the Bugatti blue before, but after a while it really grows on you. I dig it now, it's got that retro look to it. 

Black is simple. You only have to choose whether you want piano black (gloss finish) or matte. 

How's that Traveler of yours?

Yeah I have no idea how many shades of blue there really are, but it's too many!

I like matte black a lot.  The Traveler black is a powder coat, so it will have some sheen to it, but nothing like piano finish, a.k.a. fingerprint champion of the world.

For 27 days I enjoyed the Traveler, despite the thoroughly used cartridge bought in 1998 and a phono stage from inside the first Rega Brio.  I used it for probably half those 27 days to take it easy on the records as I'm certain the Grado Sonata is done.  I really like the ritual of vinyl and watching things happen.  The sound was very nice by the time my head made the adjustments after a couple album sides, but again, I took it pretty easy to spare the records.

I plan on a new cartridge, phono stage and picking up a Spin Cleaner really soon, then take a week off from work and submerse myself in my collection.  Clean, listen and repeat until I've heard every one of them.  The hard part is deciding what to buy, as usual.  Harry from VPI told me (to extremely paraphrase) the Traveler scales up tremendously well and don't be afraid to throw a lot of money at a cart and think the table is holding it back.  Which of course doesn't make deciding any easier as I'm well aware of how well any vinyl rig scales up when you throw money at it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #804 of 5,379
Just packed it up.  Exchanging it for a black.  I tried for 28 days to let the two blues (Sonett's Bugatti blue is wonderful) sit well next to each other, but they weren't.  The Traveler's blue is fine on its own, maybe a hair dark for me, but it was fine, until I looked at the Sonett.

I never REALLY paid attention to how many different shades of blue there are in my life!  Wow!  Black is black, and that's simple, and that's more my style.

Thumbsup for Musicdirect.

That's always the case with different brand components. Always.
Black is black, and that's simple, is so not true. Don't you ever wear black clothes? Black can be any color of the rainbow, just darker. When you put them next to eachother you will see that black is never the same, brushed Alu is nevert the same and completely different from sandblasted, anodised or eloxised. There are about 2 million discernable shades of blue. So what did you expect? :wink:

As a rule of thumb you should only pick one item in a bright or contrasting color and keep the rest in basic finish like black, grey or metal. This way the accent color gets all the attention and you tend to notice smaller differences. Create a diversion with your right hand so nobody sees what you do with your left, just like a magician. :p I must say the blue pre-amp is quite provocative. I would go for a turntable as the showstopper because it lends itself pretty well for that role. But in this case the TT was the bridesmaid looking more beautiful than the bride. A bit of a shame because they both look stunning.

It's the sound that counts, right?

And now for something completely different...
I received a new arm yesterday. It's a Consonance T988 dampened unipivot. It's a great arm, but boy, is it finnicky. It's a real hassle to set up. I need to make a new armbase first before I can set it up for real. It'll be a while before I'm done.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #805 of 5,379

Got this TTMusic Hall 9.1 with the Goldring eroica LX  cart last week, replaced my good old SL1200mk2

Classical and Jazz sounds briljant on this TT, so darn silent  
biggrin.gif

Nice gear you guys have! Keep the pictures coming!!

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #806 of 5,379
I really like the looks of the Traveler. I am seriously considering one of those when I get my own place next month.

I have been using the same 30+ year old Philips table the past 5 years and while it sounds great, I feel like a newer table will be a worthwhile improvement. I think right now, my table is the bottleneck in my system.

I am scared to go for a listen though, I know it will make me want to buy one ASAP......

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #807 of 5,379
Quote:
I really like the looks of the Traveler. I am seriously considering one of those when I get my own place next month.

I have been using the same 30+ year old Philips table the past 5 years and while it sounds great, I feel like a newer table will be a worthwhile improvement. I think right now, my table is the bottleneck in my system.

I am scared to go for a listen though, I know it will make me want to buy one ASAP......

It's not a Philips 212 by chance, is it?

My dad had one and I've been hoping to cross paths with one again some day.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #808 of 5,379
Quote:

Got this TTMusic Hall 9.1 with the Goldring eroica LX  cart last week, replaced my good old SL1200mk2

Classical and Jazz sounds briljant on this TT, so dann silent  
biggrin.gif

Nice gear you guys have! Keep the pictures coming!!

That is a beautiful TT.  I used to own a 5.1 and always lusted over the 9.1.  I also love that it has a dust cover.  That's one thing that I really miss about the 5.1 that I don't have on my Emotion.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #809 of 5,379
Why not just make/buy one? I'd remove the dust cover as soon as I got it and just use it as a 'pull on pull off' dust cover. I've never been a fan of attached covers.

The 9.1 was one I was considering recently, too.

Quote:
That is a beautiful TT.  I used to own a 5.1 and always lusted over the 9.1.  I also love that it has a dust cover.  That's one thing that I really miss about the 5.1 that I don't have on my Emotion.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #810 of 5,379
Quote:
It's not a Philips 212 by chance, is it?

My dad had one and I've been hoping to cross paths with one again some day.

Close, Philips 777. Actually purchased by my dad in college. Its been a great table, has a suspension in it, I just think I could do better with something a little more upscale and modern. Actually before I do anything, I need to invest in a SpinClean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back