Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #752 of 5,380
Quote:
Which turntable did you get?

Pro-Ject RPM 5.
Quote:

*SNIP*

Not my picture, as it's currently on its way to me, but you get the idea. I'll update when I have the table =]

Same here, I'm waiting for mine too, can't wait to hear some music from it :) I will also re-post some pictures of mine when i get it :)

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #753 of 5,380
Quote:
Pro-Ject RPM 5.

Same here, I'm waiting for mine too, can't wait to hear some music from it :) I will also re-post some pictures of mine when i get it :)

Nice.  I used to have a Music Hall mmf-5.1 that used a Pro-Ject tonearm.  I've read very good things about the Pro-Ject tables as well.  Which cartridge did you get with it?

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #754 of 5,380
I was under the impression that VPI used Bugatti Blue for their Traveler.  Nope!  

You'll have that.  Still, it's pretty neat looking.

Here's this again.  VPI HW-19 and the first JMW Memorial arm.

I got to speak with Harry Weisfeld today.  That was pretty cool.  I was almost star struck. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #755 of 5,380
Quote:
I was under the impression that VPI used Bugatti Blue for their Traveler.  Nope!  

You'll have that.  Still, it's pretty neat looking.

No wonder you got the Blue.
wink.gif
Very nice!

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #757 of 5,380
Quote:

Beautiful table you got there.

cool.gif

I got it back in the mid to late 90s with an Audioquest PT6 arm, upgraded platter and a mid tier Grado Prestige.  Then a Grado Sonata, then the Memorial arm.  It makes music!  I remember hearing this a lot, "Dude you got a whole room just for a stereo!?  Record player, too!?  Really!?"  

Drop the needle on Dark Side Of The Moon...

Turn off the lights and then, "Dude you got glow in the dark stars everywhere!?"  

biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #758 of 5,380
It sounds to me as if you're missing the 'special ingredient'. :D

That stuff steals 10% off your IQ-points with frequent use and makes anything sound good. So I don't recommend it. BTW where I live it's legal for private use (NL). I wonder for how long.:rolleyes:

I remember when I first saw the HW19 on a hifi show some 25y ago. It was really exotic then. It had a Mörch DP6 on it. It sounded a whole lot better than the ubiquitous rubber or felt mat TT's like Thorens, Dual, Linn etc. I just realize that ever since then I wanted a plastic (vinyl/perspex or w/e) platter. The only thing that kept me so long was that I had a pretty decent Linn and that VPI is rather expensive here in Europe. They didn't have a 'cheap' model like the Traveler then...

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #760 of 5,380
Sep 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #761 of 5,380
Say whaaa?
Hmm, I rather have a nice strong beer, like 10% Belgian.

Oh dear!
I feel a new project coming my way... nothing definite but it involves a separate base for a second tonearm to facilitate a classic MI cart. Maybe do a rebuild too. When I get up I'll know more (bidding over Down-Under time). I'm disclosing anything, there is only one bid yet (saying prayer now:rolleyes:). It 'll be some project, but I know I can do it. I'm pretty good at woodworking and I have some nice pieces of vintage Ebony and more lying around. And the perfect arm to go with it (damped unipivot with carbon wand).

Update:
I got it! And at a good price too. AU$ 350. So it looks like my project has the go ahead. This one has a spherical needle but that can be retipped at a decent price.
$T2eC16dHJHwE9n8ii-sRBQM,8qrvQg~~60_1.jpg

This is it.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #762 of 5,380
I'm the original owner of this 25 Year Anniversary model Linn LP12 that I purchased in 1997.  I upgraded nearly everything on it earlier this year including the Radikal power supply, Keel subchassis, Ekos SE tonearm and Akiva MC cartridge.  Setup of this turntable is important and I had one of the best in the business, Thomas at Overature Audio in Ann Arbor, perform a tune up on my LP12.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #763 of 5,380
Quote:
I'm the original owner of this 25 Year Anniversary model Linn LP12 that I purchased in 1997.  I upgraded nearly everything on it earlier this year including the Radikal power supply, Keel subchassis, Ekos SE tonearm and Akiva MC cartridge.  Setup of this turntable is important and I had one of the best in the business, Thomas at Overature Audio in Ann Arbor, perform a tune up on my LP12.

Sweet, the LP 12 is such a rarity and an absolute bargain compared to the TOTL turntables available nowadays.....very listenable and engaging!  

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #764 of 5,380
Only if you're an original owner. Buying a used one is a complete crap shoot unless you can account for their upkeep (like most turntables). They also begin to cost significantly more as you upgrade them.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #765 of 5,380
That looks amazing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back