Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #406 of 5,380
Spinning pretty fast! 
etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #411 of 5,380
Does anybody have any experience with one of these?

The Audio-Technica AT-LP240 sure likes it has the same tonearm/mechanics as Denon's DP-A100 "anniversary model", but without automatic operation and for about 1/5 the price.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #412 of 5,380

Are you spinning Selected Ambient 85-92? I just picked that up...or is that Selected Ambient II? I'm waiting on a call from my importer on that one (should come in this week). I should've just pre-ordered on Amazon.

Great looking table. Technics have a special place in my heart.

Quote:
Nothing fancy here, though still pretty good sounding 
biggrin.gif

That's one of my favorites in the whole thread. Fantastic.

Quote:
My main rig 
smile.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #413 of 5,380

Quote:
Are you spinning Selected Ambient 85-92? I just picked that up...or is that Selected Ambient II? I'm waiting on a call from my importer on that one (should come in this week). I should've just pre-ordered on Amazon.

Great looking table. Technics have a special place in my heart.

It's Selected Ambient Works 85-92. Side A, playing Xtal 
biggrin.gif

Although I think I got some shady bootleg version, not the official remastered 2006 version on R&S, and definitely not the original 1992 first press on Apollo. 

Listening to this song is always an enchanting experience for me, from the first second until it fades out, regardless of mood or emotion. Deep, powerful stuff, what rare a timeless classic, I'm gonna spin it again right now!
The rest of the album is also top notch, and so is SAW2, but I never really got into his other stuff, too much Warp-weirdness for my tastes... 
frown.gif

I love my 1210, combined with a sub-$100 cartridge and a DIY phono pre-amp it makes a pretty sweet sounding (mid-fi?) LP rig!

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #414 of 5,380

Quote:

I love my 1210, combined with a sub-$100 cartridge and a DIY phono pre-amp it makes a pretty sweet sounding (mid-fi?) LP rig!

I love my turntable as much as anyone can (anyone normal, at least), but I don't ever fool myself that it is hi-fi. IMO, vinyl is mid-fi at best, no matter how expensive your rig is. My Pioneer specs are .035% wow and flutter, 80 dB S/N ratio (very similar to your SL-1200, which is very nice by the way). Those were good numbers back in the day, but nowhere near what we have today.

I enjoy my turntable for nostalgic reasons (the opening and cleaning ritual, watching the tonearm ride the groove, etc.) and for playing albums that aren't available on CD, MOG, etc. I like how my turntable sounds, but with a good converter, digital is vastly superior (poor mastering notwithstanding).

Nothing wrong with mid-fi. I've heard hi-fi and I don't like the diminishing returns on the dollar it takes to get that last 2% of sound quality. The top of the middle is where it's at!

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #415 of 5,380

Quote:
Nothing wrong with mid-fi. I've heard hi-fi and I don't like the diminishing returns on the dollar it takes to get that last 2% of sound quality. The top of the middle is where it's at!

Amen to that! (I think I just heard my wallet breathe a sigh of relief 
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #420 of 5,380

Quote:
Nice tt! I appreciate college setups. We really make the most of our money! Or what money we have.

Exactly. It's not about having a high income, rather it's about using what money you do have in the most efficient way possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back