Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #243 of 5,380

Can anyone remember the Pioneer PL-430. Budget at the time. Still is now, but I got lucky and picked one up for £26 off ebay. Promptly put an Ortofon OM PRO S cartridge and stylus on and now it ain't half bad!

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #244 of 5,380

Quote:
It's a little dusty...

Currently playing "Face the Music" (Electric Light Orchestra)

Technics SL-QD33 (1983 model) with Audio Technica 3003 cartridge. Probably one of my best flea market purchases ($15).

This was my first TT! Got a bit disappointed by the output though, but that was with the stock cartridge and stylus though (P30).

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #245 of 5,380
Lots of very nice pictures. Sort of wanting a turntable, but it's a cold fact that I wouldn't be buying a lot of records to play with it... = /

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #247 of 5,380
It is, but when there's no interesting records to buy as vinyl...

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #248 of 5,380
Are there no used records stores in Finland?

I have all seven Sibelius symphonies and his better known suites on LP. All bought second hand.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #249 of 5,380
My point was the fact that the music I like is not exactly often released on vinyl. It's not worth it to buy a turntable and maybe a dozen of records. = (

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #250 of 5,380
Can you give an example?  These days there is a huge amount of new vinyl being release.  I'm always surprised how many current artists have vinyl releases.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #251 of 5,380
Quote:
My point was the fact that the music I like is not exactly often released on vinyl. It's not worth it to buy a turntable and maybe a dozen of records. = (

What crappy IMO autotune music? Good quality music is released on vinyl, mainstream artists such as Lady Gaga release their music on vinyl, but it's not as good as the "good" music.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #252 of 5,380
The great thing about collecting records are that used records are always being released into the market. You have to get out of your comfort zone at times to find them, but they are out there for the folks willing to do the footwork. It takes years at times to find them, but there are always great records out there.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #253 of 5,380

Can you give an example?  These days there is a huge amount of new vinyl being release.  I'm always surprised how many current artists have vinyl releases.

Click Last.FM on my sig. = ) I know that lots of mainstream music is released on vinyl too, the problem is that I don't really listen to mainstream either. xD Some metal I like is released on vinyl, but it's a very small portion of what I listen to.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #254 of 5,380
I would have a hard time buying a turntable too if my taste were largely new music.  Sure, lots of music gets released these days on vinyl, but as much as I like my turntable, I have an awful hard time justifying a new vinyl purchase over the cd, when I know that the music was all mastered digitally anyways.  Also, the vast majority of new (even 180 or 200g) vinyl pressings are pretty bad compared to what was being put out in its heyday of the 60's and 70's.  The best part of having a turntable, to me, is being able to drop into a record store and come out with 10-15 new (to me) albums for less than $50, and for access to the old masterings of the many albums that do sound better on vinyl than their modern digital releases.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #255 of 5,380

Quote:
I would have a hard time buying a turntable too if my taste were largely new music.  Sure, lots of music gets released these days on vinyl, but as much as I like my turntable, I have an awful hard time justifying a new vinyl purchase over the cd, when I know that the music was all mastered digitally anyways.  Also, the vast majority of new (even 180 or 200g) vinyl pressings are pretty bad compared to what was being put out in its heyday of the 60's and 70's.  The best part of having a turntable, to me, is being able to drop into a record store and come out with 10-15 new (to me) albums for less than $50, and for access to the old masterings of the many albums that do sound better on vinyl than their modern digital releases.

That's also a good point of new music. And if they sound totally different from each other, I have a hard time believing that the CD is inferior. = /

Users who are viewing this thread

Back