Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #3,737 of 5,380

I know, it's only a Rega but the album is sensational sounding.  Big mono image, quiet surfaces, scary dynamic range and great jazz.  All from 1950.  So much for progress, ehh?

The most convincing reproduction of sound I heard so far  came from mono 78 recorded in 1943 in La Scala ( forgot which tenore ... ) - on an obscenely expensive system owned by a friend.  Required purchase of another, MUCH bigger house in order to accommodate it ... what later proved to be unsustainable in the long run.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #3,738 of 5,380

I know, it's only a Rega but the album is sensational sounding.  Big mono image, quiet surfaces, scary dynamic range and great jazz.  All from 1950.  So much for progress, ehh?

The most convincing reproduction of sound I heard so far  came from mono 78 recorded in 1943 in La Scala ( forgot which tenore ... ) - on an obscenely expensive system owned by a friend.  Required purchase of another, MUCH bigger house in order to accommodate it ... what later proved to be unsustainable in the long run.

Doesn't surprise me.  In many cases, the faster the speed ................

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,739 of 5,380
  Aleksander,
 Thanks for the recommendations.  I'll keep an eye out for the Kuzma Reference.

I have more time now and its winter (no gardening), so a hobby project might be fun.  I'll have a look back at your posts re the Telefunken.

My first project is to build a hifi rack to blend in with the living room furniture.  Everything I see out there is either industrial or overpriced.

Regards,
  Ron

Ron, regarding the hifi rack - please establish the size first. Allowing at least one cm if not an inch of "oversize" - ET-2 does need space to breathe during normal handling and it would be pity if by now so rare cart as Carnegie One gets decantilevered as the result of "just big enough" fit.

These DO NOT lend themselves well to rebuilt or retip - by now, I think only Transfiguration is still producing these ring magnet MC cartridges. It is definitely the most difficult to work on, as it is basically meant to be assembled and NEVER again messed with, hence the reluctance of even Benz, who produced it from Sony parts back in the day, to support it. It was also the only cartridge I know of to feature THREE materials in its cantilever, with the Micro Ridge diamond mounted into a rectangular hole drilled into the cantilever by laser. It was one hell of a lot difficult to produce one that did not have a mild resonance around 8 kHz - but those that did escape this problem were simply in a class of their own. Not the most dynamic cartridge around, but one with the degree of shades of colours available that was - and probably still is - second to none. Quite difficult to set up in ET-2 well ( I heard it first mounted in ET-2 in Milan, Italy - and came back anything but impressed; the most difficult part in getting the ET-2 to sing with any cartridge is the horizontal decoupling spring adjustment - and it must have been completely off at that first encounter ...)

Carnegie One does appear sporadically on the used market - but its end price is nearing 1K. Same for the Sony XL MC 9 - these appear to be even rarer these days, originally available only in Japan.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #3,740 of 5,380

Doesn't surprise me.  In many cases, the faster the speed ................

Exactly.

Recorded ( most likely direct to disk - magnetophon came at the very end of WW II ) and pressed in 1943 ...

It started off with a true mono Benz Ruby cartridge ( you'll never find that one in any list ... ) - and went on in at least this style further.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3,742 of 5,380

Like.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,743 of 5,380
Relaxing this fine Sunday afternoon with Ella and André, and Gershwin. I found this sealed record at a used records store.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #3,744 of 5,380

Extremely nice find and beauty table!

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #3,745 of 5,380
  Relaxing this fine Sunday afternoon with Ella and André, and Gershwin. I found this sealed record at a used records store.

Cool find
biggrin.gif

What cartridge do you use and how do you like it?

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3,746 of 5,380
  Cool find
biggrin.gif

What cartridge do you use and how do you like it?

It the Denon 160. I got two cartridges a few years ago. It sounds very good. Its output is 1.6mV so Craig Uthus of Eddie Current suggested I set his phono stage to MM for this cartridge even though it's an MC cartridge (go figure). I've played it consistently for 3 years and the stylus still seems in excellent condition. I also own a 103R which I have yet to use.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #3,748 of 5,380
  Happy Monday!

Reliving some memories from 1994 and checking out the new Schiit Mani phono pre.

Eee Pee! How you be?
Happy Monday to you, too.
I didn't know Schiit about their phono stage--cool.
Do tell when you have a moment.

:)

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3,749 of 5,380
  Happy Monday!

Reliving some memories from 1994 and checking out the new Schiit Mani phono pre.

Love that baa-luu rekkid.  I'm easy.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,750 of 5,380

Users who are viewing this thread

Back