Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Oct 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,436 of 5,385
I've been doing some cleaning. Now I don't want to sounds like a Proctor & Gamble or Unilever commercial. But, how the heck do I clean this? I've bought an old Victrola lp, and while it's in excellent condition (sleeve as well as vinyl) it has these spots on the surface that nag me. They are not really audible but when I look at it with my tiny microscope (60x jewel tester) it looks like a dam with black debris, fibres (red?) and white sticks and flakes.

Sorry I can't photograph that. I did a macroshot though.

It's like spatter, maybe stamper residu? Anyone recognise this? And how the blazes do I get rid of it. Mind you, this is a mean angle to photograph a disc since it has a spotlight on it that shows every dustparticle like a boulder on the road. But I guarantee you that the grooves are clean (except those spots of course). I've cleaned it twice on the Okki Nokki with soap while brushing well and with woodglue! Look at this; you can see what kept stuck in the glue even from a distance.

The images are 1200x1800 and not retouched (clickable).

Oops, I forgot the pun on the title. :p The record is The Nutcracker by Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It's a real ballbreaker. Get it? nutcracker... ballbreaker... oh :rolleyes:

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,437 of 5,385
Who knows man...you're talking about a Victrola LP!!! Those things were played caked in dirt with a cactus quill for a needle.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3,440 of 5,385
Nice gear, ugly photograph. The Traveller is beautifull.
But this way it looks like Megan Fox did a selfie at Radioshack on a bad hair day. Put some effort into it; make a picture at daylight, indirect light, and as little distraction in the background as possible (cables, plugs and other gear). Closer up and lower down. Streetview instead of satellite map. And no "Moulin Rouge' carpet!
"Hey sugapuff, want to check your powah tools in my boudouar?" :xf_eek:

I even used a sewing needle one time on an old deck i had

Yeah, did that too. Needle in a postcard and just hold it on the record. I even remember which single we tortured: KC and the Sunshine Band - That's the way I like it. Yeah, 1975 it was. Erm, almost 40y ago... Oh crap, why do I even remember that. I'm getting soooo old.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,442 of 5,385
yeah our 2 year old and 6 year old make it so the VPI nomad have to go in the closet when they are awake.... sorry for the crappy picture only one i had on my phone.

we hook up the nomad with a 2m Blue ortofon on it to a Cary HH1 tube headphone amp to run our LCD-2's.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,445 of 5,385
Oct 11, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #3,448 of 5,385
I'm slowly getting into the world of turntables. Here's my current unit which I got from thrift store for 6,5 euros. It's Fisher MT-30 semiautomatic.
heje7eja.jpg

Of corse I had to invest some more euros to get a new stylus and a belt. Now it works perfectly and sounds very nice (considering it's low-fi).

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,449 of 5,385
I'm slowly getting into the world of turntables. Here's my current unit which I got from thrift store for 6,5 euros. It's Fisher MT-30 semiautomatic.
heje7eja.jpg

Of corse I had to invest some more euros to get a new stylus and a belt. Now it works perfectly and sounds very nice (considering it's low-fi).

Lookin' good!

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #3,450 of 5,385

Lookin' good!

It's currently connected to an old stereo system which have some minor technical problems due to lack of use since late 80's or early 90's (the left channel comes and goes occasionally). But my Yamaha AV receiver doesn't have phone stage so I can't use it with turntable until it get a phone preamp with RIAA. For starters I ordered the TCC TC-450 phone preamp (it can be used with mains adapter or 9V battery in case the mains causes humming or other interference).

After that I can ditch the old system and use the turntable with the rest of my setup. Which includes some now all but obsolete gear like MiniDisc & DCC tape deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back