Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 29, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #5,026 of 5,379
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #5,027 of 5,379
tcWdJan.jpg

NIBghpx.jpg

XYt6sTe.jpg

7oA03mt.jpg

That baby is just awesome, you could put/combine all three of my tables and still not hold a candle to this sweetheart :scream:

Carbon De Blue.JPG

RP-8 Full Plinth.JPG

Amadeus GTA 006.jpg

May b e when I retire:grin:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #5,028 of 5,379
I've actually got the "El Carbone" in this setup for my youngest :beerchug:

El Carbone.JPG

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #5,029 of 5,379
That baby is just awesome, you could put/combine all three of my tables and still not hold a candle to this sweetheart :scream:

May b e when I retire:grin:

Three TT is a good number. Lol
DIY TT takes time and it’s not really cost effective. But it is fun and very rewarding when you put a record on after completion and it actually works.
I do have one question for you. Couldn’t help but notice one of your TT being suspended from the ceiling. How is it working out for you? I am thinking about using this approach with my super lightweight Rega.

I've actually got the "El Carbone" in this setup for my youngest :beerchug:

That’s pretty cool. I’ve tried to pass this sentiment onto my daughter but no luck.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #5,030 of 5,379
Three TT is a good number. Lol
DIY TT takes time and it’s not really cost effective. But it is fun and very rewarding when you put a record on after completion and it actually works.
I actually have a question for you. Couldn’t help but notice one of your TT being suspended from the ceiling. How is it working out for you? I am thinking about using this approach with my super lightweight Rega.

That’s pretty cool. I’ve tried to pass this sentiment onto my daughter but no lock.

Oh, my boys love music and have all the old classics I forced upon them growing up! You have to love when they go from Kid Cuddy to Bill Withers :rolling_eyes:

My suspended Amadeus is the bomb, the attic is my man cave and the floor is very unstable right where the big rigs rack sits. Of course the Amadeus weighs 51 pounds on it's own but on that Bright Star shelf on the E.V.A. Pads on the shelf I get zero vibration feedback but more importantly I can jump up and down like a crazed gorilla right in front of the rack and absolutely no skipping whatsoever:thumbsup:I don't know from that shot if you can tell the ceiling is gabled but it cost me like $54 in hardware at Home Depot. Here's a couple shots that may give you a better idea of my setup.

Amadeus GTA 007.jpg

Amadeus GTA 008.jpg

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #5,031 of 5,379
Oh, my boys love music and have all the old classics I forced upon them growing up! You have to love when they go from Kid Cuddy to Bill Withers :rolling_eyes:

My suspended Amadeus is the bomb, the attic is my man cave and the floor is very unstable right where the big rigs rack sits. Of course the Amadeus weighs 51 pounds on it's own but on that Bright Star shelf on the E.V.A. Pads on the shelf I get zero vibration feedback but more importantly I can jump up and down like a crazed gorilla right in front of the rack and absolutely no skipping whatsoever:thumbsup:I don't know from that shot if you can tell the ceiling is gabled but it cost me like $54 in hardware at Home Depot. Here's a couple shots that may give you a better idea of my setup.

Amadeus GTA 007.jpg
Amadeus GTA 008.jpg
I see what you did there.
Did you gave any thought what to use for suspension lines or just picked what you thought would work best?
I have similar issue. Old wood frame house second floor. DIY TT is mass loaded (around 150lbs). Pretty good as far as vibrations are concerned. Platter is magnetically suspended/decoupled from main body and spindle. It literally floats. Lol
But Rega is big pain. Different topology and I need to figure out how to help that sucker sing. Wall is an option but ceiling suspension also crossed my mind.
Thanks for sharing. I think that I might go with your approach.
👍

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #5,032 of 5,379
I see what you did there.
Did you gave any thought what to use for suspension lines or just picked what you thought would work best?
I have similar issue. Old wood frame house second floor. DIY TT is mass loaded (around 150lbs). Pretty good as far as vibrations are concerned. Platter is magnetically suspended/decoupled from main body and spindle. It literally floats. Lol
But Rega is big pain. Different topology and I need to figure out how to help that sucker sing. Wall is an option but ceiling suspension also crossed my mind.
Thanks for sharing. I think that I might go with your approach.
👍

Well my primary concern was hardware to support my weight. The plastic covered cable I used will hold up to 130lbs. With your weight I’d sure be looking for studs, heavy duty eye hooks, 200 lb. (if we were fishin’ I’d say test line)! Then of course the right size clamps for the cable size. Another consideration was how long the cables would be, longer and even run cables would swing more so the pitch in my roof really helped the stability of the entire shelf. Good luck :beerchug:

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #5,033 of 5,379
Well my primary concern was hardware to support my weight. The plastic covered cable I used will hold up to 130lbs. With your weight I’d sure be looking for studs, heavy duty eye hooks, 200 lb. (if we were fishin’ I’d say test line)! Then of course the right size clamps for the cable size. Another consideration was how long the cables would be, longer and even run cables would swing more so the pitch in my roof really helped the stability of the entire shelf. Good luck :beerchug:

No, no, no. Sorry for confusion. I’m not trying to suspend that red DIY TT but a Rega planar 8. As far as the line choice. Well, I guess what I’m trying to figure out is, if I should go with elasticity or stiffness for best results?

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #5,034 of 5,379
No, no, no. Sorry for confusion. I’m not trying to suspend that red DIY TT but a Rega planar 8. As far as the line choice. Well, I guess what I’m trying to figure out is, if I should go with elasticity or stiffness for best results?

Oh, I was just making sure if you wanted to hang the monster you made sure your apparatus was sturdy enough for the job but glad to know it's the Rega. I'd still go with non-elastic, I think elastic or spring loaded supports would present other issues with leveling plus with the Rega's weight you probably need no more than I have. :beerchug:

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #5,036 of 5,379
What is THAT gorgeous red thing if I may ask ?!?
Of cause you may. It’s little red Frankenstein DIY TT. Very weird, very heavy, very red, but I’m not sure that it’s very good. Lol
But it gets most use from my 3 TT that I own. Not sure why?

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #5,037 of 5,379
Oh, I was just making sure if you wanted to hang the monster you made sure your apparatus was sturdy enough for the job but glad to know it's the Rega. I'd still go with non-elastic, I think elastic or spring loaded supports would present other issues with leveling plus with the Rega's weight you probably need no more than I have. :beerchug:
I think you’re right. I was just thinking about it and bouncy TT makes little sense to me. Non-elastic makes more sense. The thing with Rega TT is that they don’t like a lot of damping/vibration control or mass loaded isolation platform. At least the Planar series. IMO wall or ceiling (like your approach) is the way to go. Thanks for helping hand. I really appreciate it. 👍

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #5,038 of 5,379
Absolutely, my RP8 works flawlessly on that wall mounted shelf.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #5,039 of 5,379
Of cause you may. It’s little red Frankenstein DIY TT. Very weird, very heavy, very red, but I’m not sure that it’s very good. Lol
But it gets most use from my 3 TT that I own. Not sure why?

Thanks for this info. I can't say anything about its sound of course and I won't even dare to speculate, but it sure looks great!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #5,040 of 5,379
Thanks for this info. I can't say anything about its sound of course and I won't even dare to speculate, but it sure looks great!
Project started with scattered parts around my basement. German motor, Chinese plater/speed control box, British vintage SME tonearm. Plinth was originally made (MDF/Baltic ply sandwiched) for Lenco direct drive TT. Plans changed and all this crap was collecting dust. So, I decided to make something “cool” looking without any effort put in as far as performance is concerned. But it turned into a something else. I started sourcing our various brass, copper, aluminum parts. Magnets for platter suspension (yeah, it floats lol) and acrylic for tonearm boards. It took couple months to finish but I wasn’t really in a rush. It was interesting to play with different materials and see what it does. After completion, it took couple weeks to fine tune everything, make few adjustments here and there. And finally test it. It worked and it didn’t sound all that bad. Idea was to mass load plinth that holds both armboards. Float platter for minimal friction. And keep motor isolated on 25lbs solid brass base. Ironically, belt is made out of fishing line (went through a dozen of different kinds and makes before settling on the one that seemed appropriate). And I am ashamed to admit it but, I have even tried different dental floss........ including minty one as well. Lol
I use it more often than my Rega Planar 8 or Townshend Audio TT. That’s probably best complement that I can give it without sounding crazy. Lol
It was fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back