Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #4,877 of 5,383
Denon's cartridge?

New turntable it looks. I recall a denon and a vpi but that one looks new with the white and the "S" tonearm.

Yes the TT is fairly new - to me that is - it’s a Pioneer PL-50 II direct-drive - was a Japan only model. The cartridge is the same Benz Micro LP-S MR. Only the head shell is a Denon :wink:

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #4,878 of 5,383
Yes the TT is fairly new - to me that is - it’s a Pioneer PL-50 II direct-drive - was a Japan only model. The cartridge is the same Benz Micro LP-S MR. Only the head shell is a Denon :wink:

Ah, sneaky you :L3000:

Good work though, lovely deck.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 16, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #4,879 of 5,383
So I see Music Direct must have knocked off another Rega truck as they and several other dealers said the RP8 could not be found anymore and low and behold they have RP8's back in inventory at the $1995.00 sticker:grin:

Loving mine 4 sure:beerchug: Had to get creative with leveling shims:rolling_eyes: LOL

RP-8 Spyder.JPG

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #4,881 of 5,383
So I see Music Direct must have knocked off another Rega truck as they and several other dealers said the RP8 could not be found anymore and low and behold they have RP8's back in inventory at the $1995.00 sticker:grin:

Loving mine 4 sure:beerchug: Had to get creative with leveling shims:rolling_eyes: LOL

Are there two completely different RP8's?
The one I see at music direct looks just like this one from upscale audio:
edit: I can see it both ways in certain reviews, is the larger/outer plinth optional or ...?
edit2 : "...The RP8 [also] comes with a traditional plinth and dust cover that will protect it from the environment..."
a66a29f6925de7f46dadc9740bb1d845_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #4,882 of 5,383
Mine looks just like this one with the outer plinth removed and I never used the layered glass platter because I ordered my white one from a UK company who specializes in platters. I wanted a Acroplat (sp) platter but they stopped making one for the RP8, this one is like a white Delrin platter. Make sure you are not looking at the new Planar 8, I’m pretty sure there are not two different RP8’s.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #4,883 of 5,383
Mine looks just like this one with the outer plinth removed and I never used the layered glass platter because I ordered my white one from a UK company who specializes in platters. I wanted a Acroplat (sp) platter but they stopped making one for the RP8, this one is like a white Delrin platter. Make sure you are not looking at the new Planar 8, I’m pretty sure there are not two different RP8’s.
It's interesting. I edited my post with a quote from a tone audio review that has a picture of both versions. A little more on the 'skeletal' plinth (seems like a trend; see sol) from that same review:
... the RP8 is a pretty big jump forward for Rega. They have always championed a low mass plinth design as the path to analog greatness and the website hints that "this is the first of the skeletal plinth designs"... Personally, I love the skeletal plinth and as I have no children or furry creatures to threaten my analog world, I can bask in the RP8s high tech glory. Those less fortunate, fear not. The RP8 comes with a traditional plinth and dust cover that will protect it from the environment. I could not discern any audible advantage or disadvantage to the extra hardware, but congratulate Rega for providing it.
My audiophile buddies were polarized, they either thought the RP8 was really cool, or tried to explain to me how it couldn’t work. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #4,884 of 5,383
Well I love it and think I’m going to go full skeleton again. I prefer the RP8 plinth more than the Planar 8. It’s for sure low mass compared to my 51lb Well-Tempered Amadeus but it’s solid.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #4,886 of 5,383
These match that bottle in the background rather nicely :ksc75smile:

Good eye, of all the shots I've taken of this table guess I never caught that before! The lighting does not make it as prevalent in this shot:wink:
RP-8 Skeleton.JPG

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #4,888 of 5,383
Do those isolation feet help a lot?

That's a good question Mr. Panda and it may all just be placebo effect but to me especially with analog you need to make every effort to eliminate airborne and structural vibration from path. I doubt I need everything I have under my suspended Well-Tempered Amadeus since the crazy thing is 51lbs but never the less I still built up more isolation at least I've tricked my own mind and now I can't have any more Trix:open_mouth: LOL

I'm sure this falls under overkill or better yet some kind of mental disease:rolling_eyes:

Amadeus Padded.JPG

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #4,889 of 5,383
That's a good question Mr. Panda and it may all just be placebo effect but to me especially with analog you need to make every effort to eliminate airborne and structural vibration from path. I doubt I need everything I have under my suspended Well-Tempered Amadeus since the crazy thing is 51lbs but never the less I still built up more isolation at least I've tricked my own mind and now I can't have any more Trix:open_mouth: LOL

I'm sure this falls under overkill or better yet some kind of mental disease:rolling_eyes:

LOL when I moved, I lost one of the silicone feet for my Denon DP-60L -- I could never find a match - I've tried all kinds of things but nothing has seemed to work like the factory feet! I have the S arm, but lost the straight arm in moving also. Wish I had that too!

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #4,890 of 5,383
LOL when I moved, I lost one of the silicone feet for my Denon DP-60L -- I could never find a match - I've tried all kinds of things but nothing has seemed to work like the factory feet! I have the S arm, but lost the straight arm in moving also. Wish I had that too!

I'm probably too anal retentive to lose my stuff but assisted lose (stemming from SWMBO saying all my empty equipment boxes take up more than half our attic storage space) and has said one day she is tossing stuff:open_mouth: True assisted lose:rolling_eyes: Sorry to hear about your lose/issues with your 60L, I had a beautiful DP-47F back in the late 80's and still think it's one of the best looking table of that time:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back