Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 5, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #3,017 of 5,383
  I tried very hard - and I failed - to mentally move beyond the LP I so love in my collection ("To Know You Is To Love You" - B.B. King) and accept another's attempt (Thelma's). This production could very well have some technical merit, but is doesn't swing. 

Yeah I know... That B.B. kills it is beside the point. 
rolleyes.gif
 I tried hard to stand down during playback. But I'm better for it being shared by AS - we like pix & vid in this thread. 
wink.gif

Hehe - this is the SECOND time IN A DAY - B.B.King is being mentioned to me as having the upper hand on a song - the other one was Never Make Your Move Too Soon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlzUY_p-JE vs my selection http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGqg6CiW5g . 

I first heard the Thelma's attempt - and therefore it is the original for ME. I find it the most musically satisfying song on the entire album that is "heavily infseted with technically superiour sound". I do not think ("to think" = is to not know anything on the subject over here ...) that it is THAT lackluster in swing department either - YMMV.

The first fault/RED carton in this vid is the use of the record itself - it is NOT what it is trying to present itself to be - namely DIRECT TO DISC recording/record. The original Sheffield LAB 2 http://www.discogs.com/Thelma-Houston-Pressure-Cooker-Ive-Got-The-Music-In-Me/release/1229176 is the Real McCoy - that is to say Direct To Disc that will never fail to make chicken skin on any person remotely still considered being alive. ST-200 http://www.discogs.com/Thelma-Houston-Pressure-Cooker-Ive-Got-The-Music-In-Me/release/3072422 is a re-release - made from analog tape also recorded parallel to the original direct to disc recording session. And it is tame/lame in comparison to the real thing - add on top of that usual yadayada about SQ on YT - and you have " 10 litres of vine; made from 1 litre of real thing and 9 litres of water & some sugar..." 
rolleyes.gif

And it STILL comes off that good.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,018 of 5,383
I heard quite an amount of hiss. Other than that it's a good pressing. I have a lot of new records that are a lot worse unfortunately.

But did anyone notice the price-sticker? $3 in 2011? :cool: Why am I never that fortunate on 2ndH lp's? I just bought some nice classical LP's, RCA living stereo but not the 'good' ones. Oh well, I shouldn't complain really, I still have 500+ 2ndH '70+80's records to clean.

edit: well what do you know.... I saw the BB King flac come up on TPB just a moment ago.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #3,019 of 5,383
Yeah you can't go too far wrong with Technics direct drive

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,021 of 5,383
This is the year I finally get back into vinyl. My poor record collection has been sitting in boxes---neglected and ignored---taking up an entire spare bedroom. 

Ever since my college freshman days I've been enamored with spinning wax, much to the chagrin of my roommate at the time who thought me insane, perhaps justifiably. At the time I used a Sony turntable that cost $100 new (including the pickup arm and cartridge) from one of those megalithic electronic depots. When I entered grad. school, I likewise graduated to a Rega P2 with an Elys 2. After college I got a P7 and not long after traded up to a P9 with RB1000 and Apheta moving coil cartridge. 

I still hold the P9 in high esteem, both in terms of its performance and from an aesthetic standpoint, even after hearing some turntables that cost significantly more. Over the years though my listening habits changed, so I ended up swapping out the Rega gear and focusing primarily on DACs. I've missed it ever since. 

I've been fortunate enough to hear a lot of different turntables these past few years as well, though as always you can only glean so much when it's not your own setup. I've still got a few choices in mind though.

This has been one of my all time favorite threads on head-fi to lurk in, so I'm looking forward to finally contributing by posting some pictures of whatever I end up getting.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,022 of 5,383
  This is the year I finally get back into vinyl. My poor record collection has been sitting in boxes---neglected and ignored---taking up an entire spare bedroom. 

Ever since my college freshman days I've been enamored with spinning wax, much to the chagrin of my roommate at the time who thought me insane, perhaps justifiably. At the time I used a Sony turntable that cost $100 new (including the pickup arm and cartridge) from one of those megalithic electronic depots. When I entered grad. school, I likewise graduated to a Rega P2 with an Elys 2. After college I got a P7 and not long after traded up to a P9 with RB1000 and Apheta moving coil cartridge. 

I still hold the P9 in high esteem, both in terms of its performance and from an aesthetic standpoint, even after hearing some turntables that cost significantly more. Over the years though my listening habits changed, so I ended up swapping out the Rega gear and focusing primarily on DACs. I've missed it ever since. 

I've been fortunate enough to hear a lot of different turntables these past few years as well, though as always you can only glean so much when it's not your own setup. I've still got a few choices in mind though.

This has been one of my all time favorite threads on head-fi to lurk in, so I'm looking forward to finally contributing by posting some pictures of whatever I end up getting.

May I recommend:

O.K., it's not a P9 (it's an RP6) but "they" say the RP8 comes pretty close.

Good luck in your quest.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,023 of 5,383
I'm actually considering the Rega RP40 anniversary turntable, as I know of a few places that still have some stock. I think it's pretty similar to the RP6.

The Well Tempered Amadeus knocked my socks off, but I've heard some conflicting things about how easy it is to maintain (some say it's 'set and forget' while others say it requires constant readjustment...). The Kuzma Stabi S and Townshend Rock 7 are also high on my list.

Of course there's also VPI and Clearaudio. Next to Rega I'm probably most familiar with their lineups.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3,024 of 5,383
  I'm actually considering the Rega RP40 anniversary turntable, as I know of a few places that still have some stock. I think it's pretty similar to the RP6.

The Well Tempered Amadeus knocked my socks off, but I've heard some conflicting things about how easy it is to maintain (some say it's 'set and forget' while others say it requires constant readjustment...). The Kuzma Stabi S and Townshend Rock 7 are also high on my list.

Of course there's also VPI and Clearaudio. Next to Rega I'm probably most familiar with their lineups.

Hmm, I thought the RP40 was more of an RP3 but I don't really know.

Had a hi-fi acquaintance trade in his recent purchase of a WT for the Kuzma.  Never asked him why.

I've had springy TTs since the '60s and I'm really enjoying the solidity of the Rega.  It seems awfully UNfussy.  I could have probably bought an RP8 for the money I spent tarting up my RP6 with all the GrooveTracer mods that are available, but, no regrets.

Look, Ma, no mat needed.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #3,025 of 5,383
  Hmm, I thought the RP40 was more of an RP3 but I don't really know.

Had a hi-fi acquaintance trade in his recent purchase of a WT for the Kuzma.  Never asked him why.

I've had springy TTs since the '60s and I'm really enjoying the solidity of the Rega.  It seems awfully UNfussy.  I could have probably bought an RP8 for the money I spent tarting up my RP6 with all the GrooveTracer mods that are available, but, no regrets.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to really gauge where the RP40 falls in their lineup, as it has the same brace and counterweight as the RP6, but a lighter glass platter than the RP6 and lacks the RP6's aluminum subplatter hat. However it also has a unique silicon drive belt that was apparently derived from their Naiad research, as well as a power supply custom tuned to each individual motor. I imagine the RP40's real weak point is its Elys cart, even if it's a special edition version of it. I suspect with a better cart it would be roughly comparable to the RP6, but that's just my guess.

The RP6 is definitely the sweet spot in the current Rega lineup in my opinion.

Recently I heard the RP10 with RB2000 and Apheta, paired with the IOS phono stage. It was a very impressive combo, though I wouldn't say it was necessarily better than my P9 from memory, for what that's worth. I really loved the aesthetics of the P9; to this day I think it's one of the most beautiful turntables ever produced. Personally though I'm fond of more "traditional" looking turntables with rectangular shapes or very minimalist designs. Some of these super-expensive models that look like miniature Parthenons or jungle gyms are downright hideous to me.

If I recall it was Morbid Toaster who had the Well Tempered, but he found he had to keep fiddling with it, so he got the Stabi S. Not sure what the deal is there, as some folks say they've never had to mess with their WTs much, while others say they're really fussy. I think it's the golf ball tonearm that causes headaches for some people, though for me the tonearm is its primary selling point.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,026 of 5,383

Recently I heard the RP10 with RB2000 and Apheta, paired with the IOS phono stage. It was a very impressive combo, though I wouldn't say it was necessarily better than my P9 from memory, for what that's worth. I really loved the aesthetics of the P9; to this day I think it's one of the most beautiful turntables ever produced. Personally though I'm fond of more "traditional" looking turntables with rectangular shapes or very minimalist designs. Some of these super-expensive models that look like miniature Parthenons or jungle gyms are downright hideous to me.

If I recall it was Morbid Toaster who had the Well Tempered, but he found he had to keep fiddling with it, so he got the Stabi S. Not sure what the deal is there, as some folks say they've never had to mess with their WTs much, while others say they're really fussy. I think it's the golf ball tonearm that causes headaches for some people, though for me the tonearm is its primary selling point.

As you might have guessed by now, I don't know the Rega aesthetic very well at all, but a friend of mine does and he's always lusted after a P9.

Bingo on MT.  I briefly listened to his Stabi/Stogi/Dynavector at an Austin headphone meet in January and it sounded really excellent.  It was very smooth and lush to me but of course coming from a Rega/Ortofon 2M Black, what else would I say.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3,027 of 5,383

Yeah, it's kind of hard to really gauge where the RP40 falls in their lineup, as it has the same brace and counterweight as the RP6, but a lighter glass platter than the RP6 and lacks the RP6's aluminum subplatter hat. However it also has a unique silicon drive belt that was apparently derived from their Naiad research, as well as a power supply custom tuned to each individual motor. I imagine the RP40's real weak point is its Elys cart, even if it's a special edition version of it. I suspect with a better cart it would be roughly comparable to the RP6, but that's just my guess.

The RP6 is definitely the sweet spot in the current Rega lineup in my opinion.

WTA is anything but " fire & forget " device. It is at the mercy of the monofilament (s) - and as the side that does allow for antiskating adjustment uses more/longer monofilament, it also stretches/sags proportionally more. So, if you do not play your TT for say a month, at least the azimuth WILL be changed - and off - making regular check ups unescapable. 

Current crop of the WTA has finally come of age - original was a highly resonant structure, regardless what manufacurer might say. 

I would never choose it as a single/only arm; but I use it for more than a quarter of a century. Paired with a cartridge that suits it well, it can be quite magical - enough to take constant re-adjustments for granted.

Upper Regas are very good, I have yet to hear the Apheta - it may well be the best thing coming from the Rega planet.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,028 of 5,383

Upper Regas are very good, I have yet to hear the Apheta - it may well be the best thing coming from the Rega planet.

Art Dudley didn't seem to care for it, if that means anything.

http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/1206rega/

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #3,029 of 5,383
  Art Dudley didn't seem to care for it, if that means anything.

http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/1206rega/

I've read that review and all but forgot about it.

Reviews are double edged sword - always have been.  Reviews are at the most comfortable at describing something that has proven itself over time - and its subsequent  incremental improvements. When faced with bold new venture in uncharted land, reviews ( and people writing them ) are confronted with all kinds of prejudices, feel of uneasiness of having zero backing on the words put in (real or cyber) ink , etc. Most of the reviewers do not have sufficient technical background and are strictly reporting their subjective impressions.

That is my gripe with the "anglo-saxon" ( UK, USA ) approach to reviewing audio. Price/performance (UK) or bang for the buck (USA) are almost always undisputed king - not only #1, but #0 in most cases. This kind of reviewing, although undoubtedly helpful to the consumers at large,  stifles and constricts the bold new cost-almost-no-object ventures in achieving something beyond status quo. I could have brought you all to tears describing what has been attempted in the past regarding phono cartridge stylus suspension(s) - suffice to say, real world has forced most manufacturers to stick to the proven guns, despite their awareness there are potentialy better solutions out there. Readers of these analog pages know very well I am VERY critical about Rega - yet, the Apheta might well be the exception confirming the rule.

Art Dudley did point out the virtues of Apheta design - now let's hope the Apheta Mk2 will retain its superiorities while taming the shortcomings noted.

I will end with the musical example I feel needs no explaining : ( I like them better poisonous than bland ...)

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,030 of 5,383
Interesting take on Stereophile and I presume TAS as well.

In contrast, I feel these rags mostly pander to people with a little too much cash on hand.  Art Dudley does review expensive equipment but at least he can parse the sound out in a fairly meaningful way unlike most reviewers who require one to read between the lines with a fine tooth comb.  Please excuse the tortured metaphor.

There seem to be countless reviews of mega buck rigs for the big money folks but precious little for the rest of us with sub 1K to spend.  Further, often enough the big rigs are a considerable distance from state-of-the-art.

I'm all for advancing the technology of turntables but I won't be buying any of that stuff nor will most of the rest of us.  

I wish there was a magazine that addressed the desires of the many rather than the lust of the few.

Are there meaningful reviews of inexpensive high fidelity TTs anywhere in Europe/Asia?  Or, maybe in your world, there is nothing sub 1 to 2K that won't carve up the wax and dump it on the floor.  After a year of Rega ownership, I wouldn't trade it straight up for a number of more expensive rigs but then one of my criteria for turntables is simplicity and ease of use.  (so far, my records seem to be holding up quite well while sounding good)  That way, I listen to more music rather than fiddling with equipment but that's probably just me and a whole lot of other people.

Please excuse me if I have misinterpreted your views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back