Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 25, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 5,380

Quote:
Old VPI HW-19 Jr with a couple upgrades.  Including the first generation VPI Memorial arm.

Old Grado Sonata cartridge.

Soon to be put back in service after about a ten year hiatus.  I can't wait.

I love seeing photos of tables. Call me a weirdo.......I look though Audiogon turntables and EBay. Not many like yours!

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 5,380
My old Sanyo table! It's a Sanyo tp-1020 with an Ortofon 2M Red. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 5,380
The guy I purchased my phono stage from loves his new Ortofon Black!

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 5,380
Some day I hope to own an Ortofon Black! It must sound soo good because the budget Ortofon RED is just great! Makes the records sound soo much more exciting compared to my other catridge a shure m97xe which is more mellow and laid back sounding. The Ortofon pulls out soo much from those grooves and instrument seperation and bass response are just amazing for a $99 cartridge. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #20 of 5,380
I was thinking of getting the KAB clamp. There's a KAB clap for cheaper and with a bubble level on Music Direct, which I find ironic. The one with the bubble level isn't even mentioned on KAB's website. Fluid damping seems cool and I'll check that out when I have more monies. Looking at a tonearm rewire too but I don't want to have to send my table so far.

Weird, I wonder what if there are any differences other than the bubble because that is much cheaper. From what I've heard, the fluid dampening will be a more cost effective upgrade than a rewire and you can diy.

What cartridge do you have? I'm thinking I will get the AT440MLa.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 5,380
I was thinking of getting the KAB clamp. There's a KAB clap for cheaper and with a bubble level on Music Direct, which I find ironic. The one with the bubble level isn't even mentioned on KAB's website. Fluid damping seems cool and I'll check that out when I have more monies. Looking at a tonearm rewire too but I don't want to have to send my table so far.

Weird, I wonder what if there are any differences other than the bubble because that is much cheaper. From what I've heard, the fluid dampening will be a more cost effective upgrade than a rewire and you can diy.

What cartridge do you have? I'm thinking I will get the AT440MLa.

I've actually just found the cheaper one on the KAB website here. It seems as though the more expensive one might be a better fit for the SL-1200 although the bubble level is nice.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 5,380
Ah thanks for the link, gr8brian. I wonder why there's such a big discrepancy in pricing for the two clamps. I should email and Kevin and ask. 

I have a Grado Gold1. It sounds pretty damn good but I have only compared it to my Grado Black1 and my dad's Shure M97xe. I think the Shure tracks better but the Grado sounds a bit more musical and alive. The Gold1 has better extension and more bass impact. I've only got about 40hrs on the cart so hopefully it'll sound even better with time.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #23 of 5,380
Voyd 3 motor turntable with Reference Lexan platter and Bearing, Alphason HR100S arm (Kondo silver wired), Shelter 901 cartridge.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #24 of 5,380
Didn't work, nevermind.

thumbnail.aspx.jpg

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 5,380
Fun thread. I hope more people participate. Here's mine, Pink Triangle PT Original with Accuphase AC-2 cart. Not getting much use due to the recent arrival of the AN dac. I didn't realize how much dust shows up with the flash on the camera. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #26 of 5,380

Quote:
 Not many like yours!

biggrin.gif

Got it around the mid '90s I guess.  I started with a Sota Moonbeam, it was about $400 back then.  The upgrade path hit very quickly with that one.  And being a poor college student made owning a great turntable tough, so the VPI Jr seemed to be the best choice.  Then I got the Grado Sonata to replace a lower model Grado cartridge (huge difference), then the new platter, then the arm.

Living in apartments with roommates as a college kid was tough on the records and record player.  The best isolation stand I made was simply four cinder blocks, two per layer then rotated 90 degrees for the next layer, with four tennis balls underneath.  VERY EFFECTIVE at reducing interference with all the people walking around.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 5,380
 Tables are such a learning experience. I've owned many over the years .I purchased  the Vpi I own now used from a guy in a warehouse in downtown LA. I knew nothing of taking it apart for transport and drove with the arm and platter still in place. It was sitting in the front seat of my car and I tried to drive careful, like having a new baby on board. Later I found that doing that gives you a chance to bend the tip the arm balances on. Under close inspection I was lucky. I have a friend with a Vpi and I will never forget I came over to his house one morning and he said " You won't believe what happened, I had this friend over who somehow placed his hand in a bumping clumsy way on top of the arm head and bent the tip!" The tip looked like a fish hook! He was OK after a tip replacement. Last year I took my Scout apart and packed it into a Pelican 1600 camera case and put it on a plane. I forgot to unlock the locks for the security check and while I was away they cut these two giant gate locks, went though the case to check out its' contents, repacked the case and it made it fine.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 5,380
Clearaudio Ref. with Graham 2.2 arm with extra arm wand for easy cartridge comparisons. Powered by Clearaudio Accurate Power Generator.. I also have the original Clearaudio Souther TQ-1 Tangential Tonearm... I use Lyra "Helikon" and Clearaudio "Signature" cartridges,all hooked to phono pre with Music Groove II phono cable..Saving for a new Lyra "Titan i"...sorry for the dust. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #29 of 5,380

Quote:
Clearaudio Ref. with Graham 2.2 arm with extra arm wand for easy cartridge comparisons. Powered by Clearaudio Accurate Power Generator.. I also have the original Clearaudio Souther TQ-1 Tangential Tonearm... I use Lyra "Helikon" and Clearaudio "Signature" cartridges,all hooked to phono pre with Music Groove II phono cable..Saving for a new Lyra "Titan i"...sorry for the dust. 

Now were cooking with gas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back