Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Sep 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,356 of 5,385
$2715.00

OMG.....that is absolutely hilarious!

I love crispy music and that 2K machine has no place on my audio rack
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,357 of 5,385
I also have a lot of classical LP's from the beginning of the digital era that proudly (but mistakenly) boasted 'digital (re)master' that sound really flat and disappointing. And some pressings are just plain bad, like a King Crimson album I had that sounded like it was coming out of the basement. Now I have another copy that sounds just fine.

I also bought a complete collection a few months ago, about 800 pcs, most of them handled with TLC. That was really a collection, undeniably quality music even without accounting for different tastes (mostly old style hardrock and related). Some were even treated with Permostat. But since I'm carefull with my Koetsu I'm washing all of them with an Okkie Nokki cleaner en treating with Permostat. That way they are really clean and never get staticly charged again.

Since vinyl is a plastic when you move or rub it against another surface it charges. I don't see how that has anything to do with the carbon blackener in it (hardening additive). That makes the vinyl harder and more wearproof. Leaving it out is not the best idea. Colored vinyl is softer. Permostat is much cheaper, about 50 c /lp, and works permanently. I don't need a $2000 apparatus for that.

Those "DIGITAL" classical LPs are so bright that they bring me to tears! 

I often see them in the classical stacks while I search for the elusive DMMs.

NK

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,358 of 5,385
Well, the trouble with those LPs is that they are NOT digital remasters. I have snippets of the say whole opera or single symphony etc in my collection from before, and they are the same performance and "hopefully" same master. After getting the taste of the appetizer on what I already owned, was the main course bitter dissapointment. I will elaborate on this in the future.

As felt from my initial post regarding this Furutech DeMag device, I am skeptical about it at best.I was hoping somebody with first hand experince will chime in.
BUT - these guys are also making the sole ( range of ) machines to flatten the warped vinyl. Furutech definitely belongs to the premium high(ly) (over)priced manufacturers, offering niche products at the punishing price. 

There always were audio products costing way above average and causing outcries and criticism from those of us who can not afford them. I grew up to learn not to be too vocal about it - because in at least few instances, those "overpriced BS products" that at the time of their introduction seemed ludicrous to most, proved out to be the only real solution to the practical problem.

With that said, I would on the contrary buy the following in a heartbeat, given the money:

http://klaudio.com/kd-cln-lp200-lp-vinyl-record-ultrasonic-cleaner-dryer

It appears to be the first RCM without any physical contact with the record - no scracthing, no solutions but distilled water, no pushing unmentionables deep into the very bottom of the groove from where the classic vacuum RCMs are inherently uncapable of removing it. They work reasonably well with dirty vinyl - but when cleaning new unplayed vinyl to remove molding grease etc, you might or may notice increase of noise. Slight, but still not as quiet as playing that disc as it came from the factory. In order to apply vacuum, classic RCM has somehow to seal the surface - and it pushes the bristles on the nozzle as hard as vacuum would  allow against the grooves. If unmentionables are trapped between record surface and bristles and held there by the pressure, as in very bottom of the groove - how on earth can suction then remove them? 

And I sincerely hope that those non-singing LPs can (not) be helped by anything else but Furutech DeMag even after such thorough cleaning - only one way to figure that one out...

Time to start buying lottery tickets, I guess. Taken together, that in Europe means over 8 K, after the customs etc. Brrr...

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #2,359 of 5,385
Very interesting and very expensive. I guess if you have a big collection >10k LP's it would be well worth it. I like the ultrasonic cleaning bit, but I'm not that enthusiastic about the blow-drying bit. If your water get dirtier water contains specs of debris and dust that get left behind in the blowdrying. Same disadvantage as the cheap and cheerfull Knosti Disco-Antistat. You need to keep refreshing the water.

The common wetting, brushing and suction RCM like my Okki Nokkie lets the crud soak, whirl it up and sucks all the dirty water off. There is hardly no mineral deposit left. Not even if I use tapwater (our tapwater is very soft, hardly no CaCO3 in it at all). You apply only clean water+detergent.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #2,361 of 5,385
I use warm water and a drop of clear dish soap in a salad bowl. In the kitchen sink with a 2" wide paint brush then blot dry with a clean microfiber towel and air dry in a dish rack.

Pics or it didn't happen.
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,364 of 5,385
Very interesting and very expensive. I guess if you have a big collection >10k LP's it would be well worth it. I like the ultrasonic cleaning bit, but I'm not that enthusiastic about the blow-drying bit. If your water get dirtier water contains specs of debris and dust that get left behind in the blowdrying. Same disadvantage as the cheap and cheerfull Knosti Disco-Antistat. You need to keep refreshing the water.

The common wetting, brushing and suction RCM like my Okki Nokkie lets the crud soak, whirl it up and sucks all the dirty water off. There is hardly no mineral deposit left. Not even if I use tapwater (our tapwater is very soft, hardly no CaCO3 in it at all). You apply only clean water+detergent.

I stumbled upon this machine while searching for the Audio Desk ultrasonic RCM from Germany already discussed either on "photograph" or "setup" threads 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rod79YwW4PA

I would also prefer some vacuum drying, but NOT contact with a brush - just vacuum so that any larger droplets that can leave residue of whatever is in there besides pure H2O do get removed before this can happen. 

Here a nice vid on the KL Audio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3mzyx1TSQ

And VPI 16.5 vs Okki Nokki  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jsr13V6ao

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,367 of 5,385
  The Velvet Vinyl Outlet is a favorite store of mine. The problem is, there is so much that I can take back with me when I return to California. Vinyl is heavy.

Just yesterday I met a friend who had recently returned from a trip to Japan. He brought as much vinyl as still reasonable ( about 25 kg, two persons travelling ) considering the air tickets, etc.

It was either Tamura output transformers for a SET amp or discs - he chose wisely, from the brief conversations we had considering the titles he got. Transformers can be had in Europe ( at a price ) , those LPs most probably not.

He said no shop did offer transport to Europe.

Another "Japanese" LP story : it had to travel round the globe minus 137 km ( distance from where I live and where it was recorded ) to finally finally reach me : recording from 1964, found in a record shop recently opened by an acquaintance who moved on his own: 

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,368 of 5,385
I'd love to hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back