Possibly looking to upgrade from HD580...
Aug 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Maou Laharl

New Head-Fier
Possibly thinking of upgrading from my HD580s. I've had them for almost as long as I've had a account here at Head-Fi...so maybe five years? I'm not sure if I should even upgrade, but let me explain my setup before I ask what I want.

HD580
Gilmore V1 (the one that's in two units)
A USB DAC (I'll include a picture. I'm not sure who makes it. It cost me $75 in 2008).

Source: Computer I built (using onboard sound) and PS3.

Purpose for headphones:
Movies and TV shows: 50%
Music: 30%
-Power Metal
-VGM (Video Game Music)
-Techno
-Anime music
-Instrumental (I really don't want to use the word classical since that refers to a period)
Videogames: 20%
-Mainly RPGs, Adventure games, and occasional action game. Headphones for FPS aren't really that important to me.

Budget~$250 (less would be great, slightly more might be possible)

I love how the HD580s sound, but I am looking for something I can't explain. I like power metal, so I was thinking of moving to something with a little bit more power. I'm not a bass head or anything like that. Stuff like Epica, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody of Fire, etc. etc. are groups I really like. The beauty of both high intensity met with beautiful instrumentals. I'm not good at explaining music, but I guess it's why I like a lot of video game music too. There are really great melodies in them.

It seems HD650 would seem like logical next step, but they are more than I want to spend now. Also, I'm afraid they would be a little too revealing for my source material. Most material I listen to are high quality FLAC and mp3s from Amazon mp3 store; netflix for movies.  I've thought about Grado 225i to improve my power metal listening, but would listening to something like Bach, Chopin, etc. sound strange with them? 

Like I said, I'm not sure if I should even look into buying a new pair of headphones. I think for the $400 I spent five years ago, I got myself a pretty solid setup. Right now, I'm looking to see if it's worth seeking an upgrade, or would I need more money to get a significant upgrade from my current setup?

I would appreciate any input.
Thanks in advance.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 3
The 225i's would be my choice, given your budget.  

But... you're going to have a difficult time finding anything much better than your current set up, no matter how much you spend.  

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Perhaps I should concentrate on improving the quality for my current setup? My HD580's have served me well these past five years, but the headband and earpads are really worn (Headband is flat, and earpads aren't as cushy). Maybe that's the "something" I'm missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back