Possibly broken cabinet turntable. Can anyone tell me if it is broken/ how to get it working properly?
May 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 2
You've got yourself a project!

I can't tell by looking at these photos what it needs - these are complex systems. My guess is that it has a tube-based amp, radio and phonostage in there. You'd need the schematic, but I'd hunt down a Sam's Photofacts for it, because they're comprehensive repair guides.

I'd start by rebuilding its power supply. The old electrolytics and rectifier need to go on old units. It'd probably be good to recap it and replace the carbon comp resistors, too. If you want the radio to work, you'll have to align it after replacing the old parts.

I can't say what kind of turntable that is - it might be an idler wheel. Possibly belt driven. You'd have to open it up and look. If it has an automatic cueing system, that's another project if it's broken. Of course, you'd need to replace the needle and change the bearing oil, as well. Possibly replace the bearing if it needs it.

Also, these usually have built-in speakers. Old speakers aren't terribly good, so you might want to drop in some fullrange Fostex replacements.

Like I said, it's a project. :)

You might want to creatively readapt it since the cabinet looks nice. I'd gut the thing and turn it into a media center. You could put a computer in there and use it as a home threater PC, drop in modern speakers, and whatever else you want. Even if you restored it, I'm not sure if you'd be pleased with the performance. It still wouldn't be worth a whole lot, either, since there isn't much demand for these old sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back