Possible to connect my PS3 to my soundcard and use my headphones?
May 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jesb

Head-Fier
So it seems the living room is mostly occupied and I can no longer enjoy my PS3 as much as I'd like to.  So I think moving the PS3 into my room where my pc is would be a good idea.  But how can I get it hooked up so that I can power it to my PS3?  And also how can I set it up so that I can use my HD 558 headphones on the PS3.  I'm thinking it's not possible to use the headphones for my PC and PS3 as the headphones would only get audio from my PC when connected right?

I basically want to be able to use my sound card and headphones for both my PC  and PS3, is this even possible?

May 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 28
My sound card is the Titanium HD, should of mentioned that.  So yeah it does.  Would the sound be less quality than how I'm getting sound from my PC right now?  Right now I just have the sound card and my headphones hooked up.  I don't want to use any speakers for the PS3, just my headphones like I do with my PC.

May 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 28
I know my ht omega claro was capable of this when I used that card in my htpc setup, I was running mine the same way for a while for convenience. I'm not familiar with the titanium HD, but if it has an optical input and the drivers support SPDIF in it should work just fine. As with the c-media drivers for the claro card, you're probably going to have to switch between one or the other, but it should still be functional. Hope this helps!

May 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 28
Just get a Turtle Beach DSS or Astro Mix-Amp for use with the PS3.
Have you removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s?

May 6, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
Just get a Turtle Beach DSS or Astro Mix-Amp for use with the HD558.
Have removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s?

I just spent $135 on this sound card, I'd rather not have to buy an amp just so I can use my ps3. Would prefer to set something up with my current set up.  Otherwise I'll just leave the ps3 where it is. Black rubber tape?  I'm not really sure what your referring to.  

May 6, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 28
looking at the ports of the titanium hd, you're probably going to need a toslink to 3.5mm adapter for the coax spdif in. These are relatively cheap and can be found easily on either ebay or monoprice There should be a panel somewhere in the driver to enable/disable the spdif passthrough.

checking on newegg, it appears the card comes with the cables you need. It would also be possible to convert optical in to coax out in this way.

May 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
I just spent $135 on this sound card, I'd rather not have to buy an amp just so I can use my ps3. Would prefer to set something up with my current set up.  Otherwise I'll just leave the ps3 where it is. Black rubber tape?  I'm not really sure what your referring to.  

Removing the black rubber tape from inside the HD558 makes the cups more open, more like the HD598 cups.
May not match the HD598, but moves the HD558 sound towards the HD598 sound.

May 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Removing the black rubber tape from inside the HD558 makes the cups more open, more like the HD598 cups.
May not match the HD598, but moves the HD558 sound towards the HD598 sound.

Wow really?  I'll have to look into that.  Are there videos of youtube for this?  Couldn't find anything.

Quote:
looking at the ports of the titanium hd, you're probably going to need a toslink to 3.5mm adapter for the coax spdif in. These are relatively cheap and can be found easily on either ebay or monoprice There should be a panel somewhere in the driver to enable/disable the spdif passthrough.
checking on newegg, it appears the card comes with the cables you need. It would also be possible to convert optical in to coax out in this way.

Can you give me a link to this adapter on monorpice?  I do see a panel for spdif, but I cant look in these options, but it's probably there.  The card did come with 2 optical cables.  Can I use these optical cables as opposed to buying an adapter to use coax?  And would using optical with my headphones give me the same sound quality as I'm getting with my pc?  Also how do I switch between the two?  Like using my headphones for both PC and PS3, will I need to buy some kind of switch box?  I assume I will need to buy a vga switch box to get video for both pc and ps3 as well?

May 6, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #12 of 28
yes, the optical cable that came with your card will work. You need to run the optical to the ps3 to the (white) coaxial SPDIF in. The last two ports are combo optical/coax ports that are made to be used with that type of adapter.

Also you're going to have to make sure the output on the ps3 is set to stereo, or else it will not work. Basically you're using the sound card as an SPDIF passthrough device for ps3, and when the pass through is enabled the sound from the computer will be disabled.

In the driver panel there should be a tab called spdif i/o. It is from here that you should be able to switch between looping the SPDIF in and using the output from the computer. When using the SPDIF in, settings from the control panel will have no effect, thus the need to let the PS3 do the downsampling to stereo.

May 6, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 28
So I don't need to get the adapter than since I'm just using the optical cables which connect to the ps3 and the sound card?  Do I get the same sound quality as I do when using my pc?  

I see a tab for SPIDIF i/o.  There is a input setting here, and below that is digital output (pcm) sampling rate settings.  I assume I cant use this pcm setting since I'll be using Stereo sound?  That's nice to know I can switch with just the software.

What about video.  What would be the easiest way to use both my pc and ps3?  I assume I cant connect my PS3 via hdmi to my videocard in my pc?

May 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 28
lol that would be great if video cards had an hdmi input, but your best bet would be to check if your monitor has a spare hdmi input, and if not, you could probably buy an hdmi to dvi cable if your monitor has two dvi inputs (assuming you're using dvi in the first place). The PCM setting is correct as well, as it is PCM audio transmitted over the SPDIF connection. The reason for setting it to stereo is I was assuming you were either going to use the coax out into an external DAC without native DTS/AC3 decoding or through the RCA outs into a headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back