possible? --- Shure SRH-840 drivers in a Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
May 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

czirakib

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Problem: I recently bought a Shure SRH-840, love the sound, hate the look, hate the (lack of) comfort. Really powerful sound, like the character, hate that it's plastic and ugly.

Idea: I get the Custom One Pro, and transplant the drivers of the Shure into it.

Story: Before buying the Shure I checked the Custom One Pro, loved the look, the size, the comfort and earpads, but the sound was not enough, had missing things for me, was not that powerful, detailed and it had a volume problem (wonder why, cause the impedance is almost third of the Shure, sensitivity issues maybe). So I decided I buy the Shure, but it's still ugly.

So far: I disassembled the Shure to check the structure, nothing special, but this is all I know. I can handle the modding, but considering the science behind it, I lack the knowledge.

I use it for in big part music listening at home, from a Thinkpad laptop, yet without an amp, using lossy sources like streaming services, and in the near future it will not change (have no money for an amp, maybe under 100$). I don't care about the bass switching of the Custom One Pro.

I don't bother if the sound changes a little, but overall changes of character I would not like. I loved the soundstage of the Beyerdynamic, but I don't know if the Shure can handle it, even when tried the Shure with a thicker earpad it was lacking detail, instantly felt the difference. Sound is subjective, so it can turn out other than the Shure, BUT still great, that I can live with. I have a budget for it, if further elements needed in the earpiece of the Custom One Pro.

Any help appreciated, I am on the conceptual level now.

(I am planning on making further mods, I am concepting a neckband cause I dont really like the headbands overall, and I could use more sound isolation, like a Peltor protective earpiece level isolation. :) )

May 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 5
You can't just move a driver from one headphone to another and expect it to sound the same, everything from the pads, to the internal structure, to the materials used affect the sound

May 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Okay, I get that, but I need information about where to go from here? Is it a trial based process, I need to build it to know if even its a good idea, or it can be known that this whole is a bad idea, the Shure magnet will behave badly in the Beyer cup, ...

How much and what comes from the cups, and what from the driver itself?

May 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 5
If the drivers match in diameter, then it would be somewhat possible to transplant the driver, but you can be sure that sound will change. Sometimes modding the same headphone will make drastic changes, taking a driver to another enclosure might change completely the sound. You would need to play around with dampening and there's no guarantee you will get anywhere close to the original.

Not to discourage modding, but do it if you feel like learning about how they work, not to achieve the result you want. (Head-fi would help you better if it were to ask for a recommendation on headphone with a similar sound to the Shure, but better looks)

May 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 5
If the drivers match in diameter, then it would be somewhat possible to transplant the driver, but you can be sure that sound will change. Sometimes modding the same headphone will make drastic changes, taking a driver to another enclosure might change completely the sound. You would need to play around with dampening and there's no guarantee you will get anywhere close to the original.

Not to discourage modding, but do it if you feel like learning about how they work, not to achieve the result you want. (Head-fi would help you better if it were to ask for a recommendation on headphone with a similar sound to the Shure, but better looks)

Okay, then it would be better to think about transplanting a Beyerdynamic DT 770 driver into the Beyerdynamic Custom One, I remember seeing one here on this forum, will find it.

My initial post was mainly a curiosity about "how to approach", thought so that its not really this simple, but still would like to get a perspective on how to get into this kind of modding.

About suggestions on better looking headphones: its really that simple that I love the look of the Custom One, and find the Shure really boring. Probably will paint it and "rebrand" it.

Until then, I approach my other, parallel project: alternative band onto the Shure, not on top of head but on the back.

I'll be back :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back