Possible Jump to IEMs
Sep 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dirkpitt45

100+ Head-Fier
Honestly I've never been that big of a fan of earbuds and in-ear stuff, but I'm starting to miss the portability of my old ibuds. I LOVE my m-50s, listen to them at least 6 hours a day now, but they're bulky and only semi-portable. I also had a teacher ask me to put them away the other day because they were "too obvious looking" , well obviously. Everyone else in the class had their skull candies and ibuds or bose buds on, since it was a work period, he didn't seem to care about those. I might ask him to try them and see if he changes his mind lol.

I'd be using my zune hd as the source; I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a udac2 but that'll be mostly for home use as I don't think it would work with the zune and my pc has no room for a sound card (I'll keep my xfire 5870s lol). Actually kinda thread inside a thread now, but just noticed the Icon Mobile has a DAC in it as well, which was the primary reason for my getting the udac2. I've read the mobile is rather mediocre and some like it while others don't. Kinda undecided here still. 

Back to the IEM's, The main thing I'm worried about is comfort, I know they're not gonna be un-noticeable and it will probably take some time to get used to them. But I can't stand skullcandy style ones, tried http://www.snowlab.de/images/products/l/scullcandy_riot_11mm_rasta_10797_0.jpg those ones, a friend got them as a b-day present. They just don't fit in my ears right, could never get them to stay put, though I only tried for a minute or two. 

I was looking at the westone Um-1s, though there aren't too many recent threads on them. They look very small which is good, but apparently they lack bass and have a sort of veiled sound. Which is how I'd describe the turtle beach X1s I used as my primary home headphone for 2 years, and I though they sounded great until the m-50s. Other issue with them is they'd end up being $130 after shipping + taxes(boo canada) which may be a bit more then they're worth. Getting new comply tips would also be a hassle I bet. 

The Klipsch x10 and x5 look nice but they're a bit(way) out of my price range. Also the HJE900 that look pretty decent but not sure on the comfort levels of those. The UE and shure iems also look like they're pretty big uncomfortable. Any other suggestions/opinions? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back