Possible interesting PCDP find?
Aug 30, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The op-amp itself (it's directly under the volume pot) appears to be MUCH smaller than standard op-amps so I guess there isn't an upgrade path there

I think you can buy them, it's just rediculously hard to solder them, i.e. impossible unless you have a heating-type machine which they build these things with.

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 32
Solding the tiny op-amps is do-able, but the real trick is getting the old one off without damaging anything else on the board.

But, guys! How's the line out on this thing? That's what I really want to know! Or are you going to make me spend $12.99 to find out on my own?
tongue.gif

I may have to give it a shot if it really does play CD-RWs, since none of my vintage discmen do.

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 32
This thing does play CD-RW's (I've tested it with a generic CompUSA 4x CD-RW which has been written on twice and it plays just fine). I'd like to be able to test the line-out but I unfortunately I don't have a jack to solder in right now (mine didn't include a line-out but it has the place on the PCB for it).

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 32
Okay, I'm a sucker for a good modable deal, so I bought one the other day. My impression was that it was a nice player for the price, with a remarkably strong output that drove both my hd600 and sr125 to more than satisfactory levels. The most obvious downside was its blunt presentation, with diminished treble and lacking any sort of real drive in dynamics. But it put details out from the cd to your ears with a nice inoffensive manner.

I just decided to go for some modding and replaced the caps around the headphone out with panasonic 10v 220uf from digikey(same ones used by Xin in his sony radio mods). Sound so far is much better, it's got a lot more punch in its presentation, and plenty of impactful bass, though it gets a little overloaded at higher volume with the Senns. But I was hitting some pretty high volume levels with when I got the distortion.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 32
chrisczarra: Did yours come with a line-out jack? If not, do you think one could be modded in? I've been looking for oen for mine and I can't seem to find any ones similar to the design they're using in these, but I'm not a modder or very knowledgable about electronics so I really don't know where to look (and I barely know what I'm looking for).

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 32
Actually, I was in such a rush (I had just got off from work and was going to meet some friends for coffee later) that I did not even check the circuit board- When I open the unit up again I will take a look, maybe even take some pictures. I would like to replace all the capacitors then, will definitely pass on replacing the opamp till my soldering hand gains more skill. But mine did not come with bass boost or line out installed.

The treble is still a bit rolled off, but for 13 bucks, this is a fun, enjoyabe cd player.

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 32
Well, I can't find it anywhere. After all the good comments I am starting to feel that I am missing something very good. I already have a bunch of PCDPs anyway.

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 32
the target in S. Philly is sold out at the moment. Hadda take a bus an' transfer tree times ta fine out that da lousy bums dint have 'em. sheesh.
rolleyes.gif
But a sales clerk said they went quick on account of the calculator sale and that they'd be restocking them tomorrow, so it's all good.

the tag above the empty hook said model no. C3847, so I guess in my parts we have the one without bass boost and line out. Actually, I couldn't find the -N model on the Target site. Regardless, at 13 bucks, the plain jane one will definitely my first modding project. whee!

(uh, I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone has any good sites to check out for replacing capacitors, and what different capacitors do, a PMs would be much appreciated)

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by stet
the target in S. Philly is sold out at the moment. Hadda take a bus an' transfer tree times ta fine out that da lousy bums dint have 'em. sheesh.
rolleyes.gif
But a sales clerk said they went quick on account of the calculator sale and that they'd be restocking them tomorrow, so it's all good.

the tag above the empty hook said model no. C3847, so I guess in my parts we have the one without bass boost and line out. Actually, I couldn't find the -N model on the Target site. Regardless, at 13 bucks, the plain jane one will definitely my first modding project. whee!

(uh, I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone has any good sites to check out for replacing capacitors, and what different capacitors do, a PMs would be much appreciated)

I can tell you what I use, though there are many others with greater experience and know how that should please chime in with any better suggestions. I am a tinkerer, not a techie.
I got my panasonic capacitiors from Digikey. Just do a search with this part number- P964-ND. This is for the 220uf 10volt capacitors. Most of the caps in this player are 10v rated, but you might want to get another package of some lower capacity ones, such as 100uf(same 10v), since you will probably want to make proportional upgrades to any of the parts inside. Make sure you are installing your new caps with the correct polarity.

If this is your first mod, the only thing I can say is from my own experience. Make sure you get a low wattage iron (mine is 14 watts). Be very careful to not fry the board. Go to fixup.net to get some great soldering advice. He also has other part numbers for the mods he does for the great sony radios.

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #25 of 32
The Target near me just restocked these, and I picked one up today. First impressions: really really clean sound. Note, though, that this is only the second PCDP I've had or listened to. The other one I found on the street, a Philips AX5011, which, being the first one I listened to and actually through decent headphones, I thought was great. Now the Philips is sounding kinda muddy. I'm switching back and forth btw. the two players and with Portapros and Sony E888s. I had been using a Xin Supermini, but I don't think that's even necessary. The mids and highs are pretty pronounced on the GPX, which balances well with the Portapros. But everything just sounds really lucid with the E888s, and I'm picking up more treble-y stuff I've never heard before. This is the first time I really compared stuff like this, which is getting kind of fun (albeit obssessive!), and if I don't catch hell for reviving old ****, I'll write more (or jsut keep it an exercise unto myslef...).

Also, I had gone a little mad trying to track this PCDP down, esp. the one that already had the line out (mine is just plain 3847, no line out or bass boost. well, not plain; it's blue
icon10.gif
). GPX is saying that these models were exclusive to Target and are no longer being manufactured; Target is saying that it's done carrying it and to contact GPX for more info. Somebody's got these on ebay for min. $20 with ship, if you're really looking, but then I guess that detracts for some of the charm.

chrisczarra: in the days that I had to wait for Target to restock, I think I forgot to thank you. I'm gonn alook into adding that line out and changing the capacitors now, and will check out those parts and fixup.net. Gracias.

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 32
Before I check my local Target, how badly does this thing skip when you're walking? Is it a PCDP that's going to be transportable because it has no anti-skip or is it feasible to use it while moving around (if I'm careful). Since my D-465 started acting up and my more portable (and horrible-sounding) DFJ61 was loaned out to a friend, I'm PCDP-less. I'm too wary to try carrying my DCP-150 in a backpack, so I'm looking for something that I could actually find in town and it's too bad.

To answer my own question: it's probably going to be doable to walk with this PCDP.

Just got it from Target, they're further discounted at the one near my house and are priced at $11.04, down from $12.99. Looks like they're on clearance. I also have the non-bass boost, non-line out one. Not bad for $11 though there is a definite hiss with sensitive cans.

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 32
i really don't take it out; it skips walking around the house with it in my hand, but then again, I could probably make a flash player skip. I had been taking it to work and hooking it up there, and use it at home late at night when the roommates are asleep.

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #28 of 32
It's fine walking around my house as long as I'm holding it nice and steady. I don't think it'd do too well in a backpack though, plus the buttons are very easily pressable by other objects.

Sep 19, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #29 of 32
I really want to like this PCDP (and I do) but I also wonder if my unit is defective. All of my CDs are in very good condition, but some CDs I put in are getting Error. When the CDs do play, the sound is cut off after a 5 seconds of the first track. Other CDs, the GPX is playing rather well.

Hmm... the GPX (so far, don't jinx me) is playing perfectly even with the "trouble" discs when I place it vertically. Sometimes when I place it horizontally again, it'll play well. There are also some staticky sounds when I place it horizontally. Not too bad, but strange. It disappears when I place it vertically again.

Defective or no? Or am I just doing something extraordinarily stupid? Or is this just a fickle PCDP by nature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back