Possible interesting PCDP find?
Aug 26, 2004 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Just bought the cheapest imaginable PCDP, a GPX model (they come in blue & gray). Model number on the back is C3847N, and it was $12.99 at Target.

What's interesting about this player:

* 8x oversampling
* Appears to have no skip protection
* Line out appears to be a true line out (doesn't vary with volume control)
* Appears to use a CD-R mechanism (plays CD-R and CD-RW)
* No EQ, just a bass boost switch (on/off) on the side

Unfortunately I don't have my HD580s at the moment, getting them back soon (loaned to a friend) but it sounds pretty darned good through my PortaPro2's. Maybe someone could pick one of these up & check it out, just look for the absolute cheapest PCDP you can find and you should find one of these. Says "GPX" on the front, has a Play/Pause button right below the digital display, and a curved row of 5 buttons above the digital display.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 32
yep they have that at my local drug store for a few bucks. fun cheapy to use i bet if i'm headed for the beach or something.

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yep they have that at my local drug store for a few bucks. fun cheapy to use i bet if i'm headed for the beach or something.

Sure can't beat the price, but it's interesting that such a cheapie player may sound better than most of the pricier models *because of* the lack of consumer features. Of course we all know this around here, but there's something ironic about it anyway...

P.S. the volume seems to be pretty beefy too. Given this plus the fact that the disc is constantly spinning (even on pause) it probably eats batteries like a maniac.

Aug 26, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 32
Actually, I posted about this player a few months ago.
I found it at wal-mart, and it sounded pretty good through the line-out.
Only 10 there, too.
icon10.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 32
It sounds like the sucessor of the Lenoxx CD-50 and 52. I think we all got one like two years ago. It was good for most music, but it did not like guitars and violins at all.

Anyway Fewtch, try it with an amp and let us know when you have the chance. I'll see if I can check one here with my Alessandros.

(edit)

By the way, here's a picture of the gray model.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tid=3668&stc=1

Aug 27, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
It sounds like the sucessor of the Lenoxx CD-50 and 52. I think we all got one like two years ago. It was good for most music, but it did not like guitars and violins at all.

Anyway Fewtch, try it with an amp and let us know when you have the chance. I'll see if I can check one here with my Alessandros.

(edit)

By the way, here's a picture of the gray model.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tid=3668&stc=1

That's it (well, a ratty looking used one anyway
icon10.gif
). Personally I like the blue model better.

Anyways, you really can't lose for $12.99 (or was it $11.99?)... I didn't think it was possible to get a PCDP at that kind of price, period. I'll try it with an amp eventually, altho I don't currently own a portable amp.

P.S. I didn't listen to the included "headphones." I'm scared to, my ears may not be able to take it and go deaf out of pure disgust
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 32
At this point I've done some extensive listening to this PCDP, and in my opinion it sounds *great*. Admittedly I haven't listened to many, but it's by far the best sounding PCDP I've ever heard. It also beats my soundcard by quite a large margin.

What stands out for me is the clarity of the presentation. I've heard things in my music that I've never heard before and didn't have a clue were even there (audience comments during live shows, etc). Upper midrange can be a bit grainy or plastic-y, this is one of the few obvious flaws I've heard. This is through the headphone jack, I haven't even tried it through the line out. There's a chance it may actually become my main CD player for awhile if the line out is an improvement on the headphone out. It really sounds excellent, all comments on price aside.

Edit -- big, wide soundstage with precise instrument presentation, and awesome transparency. Trouble is that some instruments sound grainy. It's a flawed but amazing presentation. For $12.99 it's got my jaw dropping open.

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
At this point I've done some extensive listening to this PCDP, and in my opinion it sounds *great*. Admittedly I haven't listened to many, but it's by far the best sounding PCDP I've ever heard. It also beats my soundcard by quite a large margin.

What stands out for me is the clarity of the presentation. I've heard things in my music that I've never heard before and didn't have a clue were even there (audience comments during live shows, etc). Upper midrange can be a bit grainy or plastic-y, this is one of the few obvious flaws I've heard. This is through the headphone jack, I haven't even tried it through the line out. There's a chance it may actually become my main CD player for awhile if the line out is an improvement on the headphone out. It really sounds excellent, all comments on price aside.

Edit -- big, wide soundstage with precise instrument presentation, and awesome transparency. Trouble is that some instruments sound grainy. It's a flawed but amazing presentation. For $12.99 it's got my jaw dropping open.

I just got mine and I generally agree with your opinion about it. Mine doesn't have the N at the end of the model number and lacks the line-out and bass boost, though I suspect that they could probably be modded back into the player (i.e. they just didn't put the jack in). The player's construction to me seems very light and plasticy, but solid. I bet this would be a good candidate for modding (cap upgrades and opamp replacement or analog output stage bypass) due to it's realtively simple design. I did a quick comparison to my AV-710 and to me it seemed that the highs were more life-like on the AV-710 and the soundstage was slightly wider, though maybe not better. The bass also seemed a tad tighter/more impactful on the AV-710, though that was probably due to the better amplification (headphone jack used on PCDP, CHA47 used with AV-710). The mids are more forward on the GPX. Besides the plasticy highs the SNR doesn't seem to be as good on this player compared to my AV-710. With my DT440's I can detect hiss on quiet passages and when the player is paused, however my PortaPro's aren't senestive enough to pick that hiss up. I'd take RMAA measurements but I don't have a soundcard with a good enough ADC. Keep in mind this player hasn't burned in yet so things may change a bit.

Aug 29, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 32
To satisfy my curiosity as to exactly how simple this thing is, I opened it up. To open it up: on the bottom there are four #1 phillips screws that you need to remove, then the case snaps shut so I stuck a screwdriver between the two different colors of plastic by the headphone jack and pried it apart (be gentle). When the case snaps apart be careful not to damage the transport mechenism, as it isn't secured inside the case. It's much more complex on the underside of the PCB than the top. The bottom is where all the traces are, as well as the op-amp and other chips. The top side has all the capaciters and I/O connections. The op-amp itself (it's directly under the volume pot) appears to be MUCH smaller than standard op-amps so I guess there isn't an upgrade path there, however the connection for the line-out is on the PCB so I'd assume all you'd need to do would be to solder a mini-jack into there. The bass-boost switch connection is also there and it's jumpered to something, I'm not sure if it's on or off though.

EDIT: Also, in another quick comparison with my AV-710 the treble isn't very extended on the GPX. The AV-710 is better in almost every way (though the GPX is close, except for the trebel) but the GPX is half the price of the AV-710 and it includes a transport mechanism.

Aug 30, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 32
It may just be that I'm too tired for serious analytical listening but after running a CD on repeat for a few hours the trebel seems to have really "opened up". It's still not extended to the extent my AV-710 is, but it's much less plasticy than before. I'll do some more listening tests when my Toshiba 3960 arrives tomorrow (maybe I'll do a "budget source showdown" where I compare all the budget sources from the various types (PCDP, DVDP/CDP, Soundcard)).

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 32
I am trying to find one here. I sincerely doubt it would sound better than my Sony's, but after all, it's cheap. So, in the end, if I don't like it, it will end with one of my nephews, who got his appendix removed. It may still make a good gift.
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 32
When I got mine at our local Target (at ~11:30 AM) they only had two left (that may have been due to the fact that Target is running a deal where if you buy a TI calculator (I think it's the TI-83 Plus, but I'm not sure) you get this PCDP for free). You might have a better chance finding it at Wal*Mart, at least until next week (when the sale ends).

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You might have a better chance finding it at Wal*Mart, at least until next week (when the sale ends).

Mmmmm.... Probably not. Check the location under my avatar. Mexico City is a bit south for your location
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, seriously, I went to a local Wal Mart this afternoon and while the missus went looking for diapers I scouted the electronics section. Just a bunch of portable VCD players, some Durabrands (Lenoxx Sound) and Sony. But do not despair, on the 31st I plan to go to a bigger store and maybe I'll find it there. God, the avatars of living in the 3rd world!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back