PortaPro mods & recabling
Sep 28, 2008 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RubberDuk

100+ Head-Fier
I did a bunch of searches but didn't find any instructions on how exactly to take the PortaPro apart for recable - has anyone seen any pics or could it just be described? The blue 'discs' seem pretty solid and I wouldn't want to break anything trying to pry them open
smily_headphones1.gif

Furthermore I came across several mentions of the Kramer mod but the links pointing to the thread no longer worked - so what is it exactly?
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 11
The Kramer mod involves drilling extra holes in the grilles to let more sound through. This adds more treble definition to the sound. It can also involve cutting a hole in the centre of the foam as well to let even more treble through; this is called a quarter mod because it's suggested to use a quarter (coin) to measure the hole to cut.

To get the black grilles out of the blue housing, use a small flat screwdriver and work it out by pushing the 4 little black tabs from the back side. Don't pry from the front side as you may slip and damage the drivers.

That's all you need to take off for a Kramer mod, not sure how to get the drivers out for a re-cable.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a bunch of searches but didn't find any instructions on how exactly to take the PortaPro apart for recable - has anyone seen any pics or could it just be described? The blue 'discs' seem pretty solid and I wouldn't want to break anything trying to pry them open
smily_headphones1.gif

Furthermore I came across several mentions of the Kramer mod but the links pointing to the thread no longer worked - so what is it exactly?
confused_face(1).gif

Take a look at my sign. I recabled all the Koss I have lol.

The "blue" disc you mentioned is not really hard to open. Use the tip of a knife to pry it.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the tips, had to use more force than I thought I would but got it ultimately. Now I just need to get a hold of some wire and I can start working on my first recable
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2c: It's not worth to mess with those phones. They're alright stock.

I mostly just want to get experience in recabling and happen to have a pair lying around
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Can I recable my portapros with a microphoned cable from cruddish apple earphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back