Portaphiles are BAAAACK!!!
Aug 11, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Just went on Cesar's Portaphile website to print the internal diagram for the switching, went to the "ordering" page and LO and BEHOLD there's huge type saying the Portaphile is available for a limited time due to limited stock of parts.

So just a heads up to those of you who were wondering what the fuss was all about some time ago.  Those of you new to the portable amps world may want to revisit some of the threads started here, especially "Portaphiles Get no Love?"

Good news for us Portaphile lovers to be sure

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Google "Portaphile" and click on "Index B".

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Interesting but the web site is a bit frustrating to navigate. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Now here's a really fantastic little amp.  Back in the day when I got my Portaphile V2 Maxxed the only downside was that it went through a 9V lithium in 8hrs with all the switches set for maximum sound reproduction.  Today we have the Stepdance which does the same thing.

Running 3- 8610 opamps, the Portaphile is the best portable amp I've ever heard.  If any readers are curious how good this little amp really is, search out Roamanee's portaphile review.

I've been configuring a laptop for the past week... you know the usual installing and debugging the OS, getting all my programs in and straightening out the things that don't want to play nice with each other... and I had no place to set up any of my usual equipment.... so I dug out my Pico dac and portaphile V2 Maxxed with it's big heavy 12V power supply to keep me company.  I had my '03  880s going, heck I even fired up the 701s I never use and they sounded as good as I've ever heard them, with plenty of bass and a relatively normal treble (for them), but tonight I got the 650s and sat down for a session while the last of the programs went in.  All I can say is the combination of the little Pico dac and the not much larger Portaphile amp running on 12VAC is an incredible sounding piece of kit, with all the power the 650s needs.  Great treble extension, tight deep bass, no sibliance, clear as a bell and nice sound stage.  Tonight, it sounds so much more than it is....., surprisingly more than it should be......

By tomorrow, the configuring should be finished and the little Pico and Portaphile with it's heavy 12V AC power supply, will be back in their plastic bags waiting for the next time they will be needed.  A couple of more songs and I'll call it a night.................................

USG

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
what was the price back in the day?

Something like $325 or 350, but I'm not sure.....

Caesar should start making them again, it's spectacular even by today's standards....  batteries have improved and today, people are willing to sacrifice battery life for sound quality.

It was a truly hand made product....  all the quality went into the sound, no money wasted on a fancy case.

I'm listening to the Hollies in 320 on "Richard's Golden Stream" (http://108.64.168.117:9000) and all I can say is wow!.........  if a recording has room acoustics included in it, you can hear them clear as a bell. 

[[ Another good oldies channel is "Raritan Bay Radio IN HIGH DEFINITION!!!", also in 320 (http://68.195.207.45:8000)  ]]  (As with any of the high bit stations, if you get buffering, just wait until later at night for the traffic to die down or increase the foobar buffer to midway on the slide.)

But let's not forget that I'm using a Headamp Pico dac, and it's the synergy that sounds so great.

USG

Edit:  I found an old review in Jan of '07 that said they were being sold for $249. 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/219613/portaphile-v2-2-maxxed-with-lt1210-and-the-1500-black-gate-upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back