Portaphile V2 Owners Thread
May 16, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #437 of 456
I heard back from Cesar on the new shohin amp and it sounds like he is still a few (unknown) months away. Trying to settle on a critical component, then on to testing and building.

So looks like a ways away for now. But the specs look really nice on the new amp.

BTW Cesar is a great person to do business with. Answers all questions in a timely manner and is very helpful.

May 17, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #443 of 456
Oh an one other thing Cesar mentioned and I am not sure when this happened but he said that the PCB for the V2^2 has been updated. So I did some looking around and could not find a date for that update. Well if there is a REV. on my pcb I'll post it to see if mine is different from some of the others around here.

May 17, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #446 of 456
This is what he sent me when I asked about the changes this headphone amp had went through

"The V2 amplifier has gone through a few revisions during the last few years. The earliest amplifiers were limited to single output buffers, fixed gain, a BUF634 virtual ground and the 2X1000uF BG caps. The latest amplifier has multiple output buffers (2 per channel for a total of six), variable gain (2.5 or 7), optional LT1210 virtual ground and upgraded 2X1500 BG caps. These revisions have been made at different times. I've also improved the board layout a bit on the latest amplifier boards. "

May 17, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #449 of 456
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what would be the home amp equivalent of the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed for about twice the price and similar sonics but smoother/wider/refined,etc ? I really need a desktop dedicated amp for my SR-200's.

As a Portaphile V2^2 LT1210/1500uf BlackGate NX Maxxed owner — to my tastes a home amp that satisfies my Portaphile cravings, but smoother/wider/more refined would be Audiovalve RKV-MkII+OPA627 opamp upgrade. You'll have to be very lucky to get this for $500-ish, tho'. I love this amp. It's one of the best single-ended amps for K701 synergy! Must have the 2x OPA627 upgrade, tho'. The improvement is huge, and without it the amp can be just so-so. With the opamp and K701s the sound can be lush, super-nuanced, wide/deep/ultra-dimensional, etc.

Some people love the X-Can V3. It's good, but it doesn't bowl me over. I still don't get as excited as some over the Headamp G-Lite and GS-1 — though I love the AE-2 (needs lots of "burn in", just like all the portables that I love!). Perhaps I haven't been able to spend enough time with them in familiar systems. Oh … just realized the GS-1 is 3x $, not 2x … it's about the same as most pre-owned RKV-MkII amps I've seen! ($750-ish).

Aside from the RKV, most of the amps that match my Portaphile excitement in a desktop/home amp are way too costly to even mention here.

So, start hunting for a bargain basement buy on the RKV-MKII — and then swap to OPA627.

(Well, actually to get the best control over the K701, you need to add the Eddie Current EC/DC for impedance matching… Oops!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back