Portaphile V2^2 or Cute Beyond
Jan 30, 2006 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cake

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering one of these two as my first serious amp purchase, but I'd like some help deciding which. They're in the approximately same price range. I want something that will grow with my setup. Right now, I primarily use an SR-60 and ER-6i, but will soon spring for a Senn HD580 and perhaps a more upscale Grado as well.

Portability is not a concern; the amp will be used at a desk, with the analog line output from a Transit USB. I've noticed the Transit has a huge bias towards the treble with very weak bass, especially in comparison to the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage; I'm hoping this is due to lack of an amp, as the Transit's output seems far more detailed.

Has anyone used both the Portaphile and the Cute, and could you comment on the differences, and which might be a better value? Or, alternatively, other suggestions would be welcome... but I'm not willing to go above $200.

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 11
Isn't the V2^2 a single-9v battery amp? IMO you'd be better off going for an amp that runs on more power if you're going to be using high impedance headphones like Senns.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Isn't the V2^2 a single-9v battery amp? .

Actually the amp can be run off an external power supply with up to 24 volts when it's not being used portably. Just wanted to clear up any confusion there
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Isn't the V2^2 a single-9v battery amp? IMO you'd be better off going for an amp that runs on more power if you're going to be using high impedance headphones like Senns.

EDIT: I guess cesar beat me to it
The portaphile does use a single-9v but since he is mainly using this at home he can pick up a 24v elpac to power it instead. Also, many portaphile owners use it in combination with senns and love the sound even off of battery power. The portaphile v2 owners thread has a ton of information if interested.

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Read the Portaphile site for the list of juicy, high-quality boutique components and topology -- and the users thread(s) for the juicy, high-quality sound.

The Cute Beyond is very nicely crafted and has a hefty, deluxe feel (and neat looks) for its low price -- but the current PV2^2 maxed version has a bigger 3-dimensional sound, deeper/bigger bass, cleaner/sweeter highs, better nuance/timbre/musicality, quieter background, better separation & definition, and better imaging. The Cute is a very nice-sounding amp, and an excellent value for the price -- but the Portaphile still sounds better.

However if $200 is your absolute limit, the PV2^2 maxed is $234.95 + around $35-ish for the ELPAC 24V WM080-1950-760 from Allied Electronics, and the maxed is the one to get for great sound and DC back.

You'll find increasingly that this avocation is full of difficult choices, compromises, and personal preferences.

Sorry for your wallet! Good Luck, and Happy Year of the Dog!

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 11
While Romanee is absolutely on the money with his appraisal ....there is a good middleground . This week I took delivery on a Portaphile X3 with options - DC backplate, Blackgate caps, and A Biasing. The total cost (incl. S&H) comes to $163+ (additionally, got the same Elpac from Allied as mentioned by Romanee). This amp is setup between an EMU 0404 and AKG k271S and it works beautifully. I couldn't wish for more more or tighter bass.....that being said.......this amp will be shifted to another setup when I get around to ordering a Portaphile 2^2 maxxed (which has buffers and better resistors). A sidelight is that Pappucho is very good about answering emailed questions and he shipped in 3 days of ordering. I consider both of these amps very good quality for this price level and $100 above.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I personnally have the pa2v2 and the cute beyond. I did not do a comparison test yet, just a quick one and did not hear a significant difference between PA2V2 and beyond, although I am a recent audiophile and I need to learn on how to listen.

what I do not like with the pa2v2 is that, my understanding is that you have to think about plugging and unplugging it. Like similar product, I always read that you should not let them charging more than 8hours, meaning that you need to think about unglugging the charger all the time.
But maybe I was wrong ? Somebody correct me ?

Anyway, the beyond is very cute and the opamp are on socket for future upgrade/play if needed, and really cute. I am very happy with the fubar2+beyond, and is is very nice looking in red.

Lionel

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal
I personnally have the pa2v2 and the cute beyond. I did not do a comparison test yet, just a quick one and did not hear a significant difference between PA2V2 and beyond, although I am a recent audiophile and I need to learn on how to listen.

what I do not like with the pa2v2 is that, my understanding is that you have to think about plugging and unplugging it. Like similar product, I always read that you should not let them charging more than 8hours, meaning that you need to think about unglugging the charger all the time.

Anyway, the beyond is very cute and the opamp are on socket for future upgrade/play if needed, and really cute. I am very happy with the fubar2+beyond, and is is very nice looking in red.

Lionel

if i remember correctly, the PA2V2 has auto cut off for charging in case the power is on. So 8 hours thing is only the case off power charging.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 11
Just to clarify, the PV2^2 and PA2V2 are two completely different amplifiers.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 11
PA2V2 is the Pocket Amp 2 - Version 2, produced by Electric Avenues -- not by Portaphile. It is also a tiny budget amp that seems to be popular at headfi -- and it is really budget-priced, though some people are very happy with it.

The Portaphile PV2^2 is a much superior amp, both in terms of components and sound quality -- especially the maxxed version.

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 11
oops I mixed the 2 amps, forget what I say then
Lionel
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal

Lionel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back