Portaphile Thread
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #182 of 425
Has anyone had trouble dealing with Cesar at all?  I had received a defective amp (static/noise on low gain only, not high gain) and it has been an absolute chore to get any kind of response from him - usually he never replies to an email (even after a full week) unless I send him a second one to remind him, but he'd say his phone didn't send out the reply. 

Also, he said he'd put screw on terminals for the battery originally but he shipped the amp with a soldered connection instead.  I did manage to get to the point where I was able to send back my defective amp for him to look at it and he last said he'd send me an email with the tracking number and also refund my shipping cost to him due to him not putting in the screw on terminals as promised, but that was well over a week ago and so far he has not been replying to any questions or emails at all, so essentially I am out over $600 for nothing but wasted time... 

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #183 of 425
Cesar has been easy to work with. Sometime it takes a bit for him to get back but he always has. I assume he builds amps in his spare time (don't know this for sure but assume it to be the case) thus I am sure he gets busy.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #184 of 425
No problem on my behalf but you got to understand that he is a one man army but he will deal with problems I can almost guaranty that. Considering how long this amp and its variation has been for sale finally we get to see one effective amp in the market. That is a decent track record if you ask me.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #185 of 425
  Has anyone had trouble dealing with Cesar at all?  I had received a defective amp (static/noise on low gain only, not high gain) and it has been an absolute chore to get any kind of response from him - usually he never replies to an email (even after a full week) unless I send him a second one to remind him, but he'd say his phone didn't send out the reply. 

Sorry about that, been a little busier lately than usual.  Repaired amp is on it's way back to you and an email has been sent.  Happy listening!

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #186 of 425
After exchanging a couple emails with Cesar regarding my post earlier, I did not mention that I had asked him to lower the gain levels on the amplifier to 1x/5x (I initially asked him before buying the amp but he was not sure, and told me to send the amp back later when he had it figured out).  He just told me that he was able to get it down to 1.66x/3x, and did not charge me for the custom request, which is appreciated. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #188 of 425
Since i travel and live out of my suitcase so much, i wondered if anyone might recommend a small pair of light speakers which could be powered by my 627x. Im figuring that if the nice amp can power my MadDogs it could fill a hotel room with efficient speakers easily. Ideas anyone?

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #189 of 425
I have found the diminutive foxL range of portable speakers to be very good, as they're compact, sound pretty decent and can play loud if necessary. I use the non Bluetooth version as a travel speaker, it sounds remarkably good from the headphone out of my Zune using a Cardas mini to mini cable.

Website link - http://store.soundmatters.com/foxl-intro.html

Cheers,
Andy.

Since i travel and live out of my suitcase so much, i wondered if anyone might recommend a small pair of light speakers which could be powered by my 627x. Im figuring that if the nice amp can power my MadDogs it could fill a hotel room with efficient speakers easily. Ideas anyone?

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #190 of 425
Thanks Smial1966...

This may be a great, solution although i was thinking about how to utilize the clear amp power of the 627x. What i do like about your suggestion is the combined bluetooth function. If this has a speaker out 1/8" jack, then i could connect it with my home Sonos system and detach for travel. Ill need to give this some thought...

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #191 of 425
This evening I have the chance to hear 2 Portaphile amps 627 Ori bad 627 X

Source : Ibasso DX 50
Amp : Portaphile 627 Ori
Iems : Earsonic SM 64 v1
Headphone : LCD 2 rev 3
Cable : Oyaide mini to mini

627 X

Source : Ak 120
Amp : Potaphile 627 X

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #192 of 425
This evening I have the chance to hear 2 Portaphile amps 627 Ori bad 627 X

Source : Ibasso DX 50
Amp : Portaphile 627 Ori
Headphone : LCD 2 rev 3

627 X

Source : Ak 120
Amp : Potaphile 627 X

What do you think about these 2 amps?

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #194 of 425
What do you think about these 2 amps?

627 is more clarity compare to 627 x , overall more clarity
627 x is more warm and analog SQ with very good detail

Ditto.  Rudi, you are most likely the only person in the world who has both the Wagnus Epsilon and the Portaphile 627 and 627x.  So, how do they compare against each other?

Thank you

These 2 Portaphile Amps 627 and 627 x are belong to my friends , they are not mine :D

If you like the clarity , detail , very good bass impact than Wagnus Epsilon S is the right ones for you
Niote : Wagnus Epsilon S is excellent for iems and low impedance headphones

Portaphile amps has more power can drive high impedance headphone too.

My IMO

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #195 of 425
Anyone with HFI 780 I urge you to pair it with 627x, I have not heard anything scale up this much with proper amping. I avoided the HF-780 after their nasty scratchy treble, paired with 627x. 

Worth a try, I know i am liking it more than the t5p which cost 10x more than it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back