Portaphile Thread
May 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #61 of 425
new board layout and new Pot. Too bad, it seems the battery terminal is still soldered directly on the board 
frown.gif

Let's see if the bass changes as the caps burn-ins (tightens/less body)
popcorn.gif

May 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #62 of 425
Cesar will still utilize a screw terminal jack for those that are interested in having it that way.  I believe a soldered connection to be better overall so I am fine with that.

I am curious though how many of you would be interested in a combination X with ODAC if it is possible?

May 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #63 of 425

Quote:
I am curious though how many of you would be interested in a combination X with ODAC if it is possible?

That would be great idea ONLY if the ODAC is feed by the 627x instead of the USB. I have found that ODAC is extremely sensitive to USB power. On my lenovo there is a constant buzz and distortion however on my Qosmio laptop the problem is non-existent. I ended up using an external USB hub on lenovo to fix the issue. 

May 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #64 of 425
Quote:
new board layout and new Pot. Too bad, it seems the battery terminal is still soldered directly on the board 
frown.gif

Let's see if the bass changes as the caps burn-ins (tightens/less body)
popcorn.gif

I am looking forward to see how the X stacks up against its older sibling after the amp burns in.  From what I am hearing now regardless if the ODAC can be added into the X case I think Cesar has a winner here and it is worth every penny.

May 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #65 of 425
Quote:
That would be great idea ONLY if the ODAC is feed by the 627x instead of the USB. I have found that ODAC is extremely sensitive to USB power. On my lenovo there is a constant buzz and distortion how on my Qosmio laptop the problem is non-existent. I ended up using an external USB hub on lenovo to fix the issue. 

maybe Cesar can add an USB isolator circuitry to the ODAC when the X-ODAC integration pushes through.

May 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #66 of 425
Quote:
That would be great idea ONLY if the ODAC is feed by the 627x instead of the USB. I have found that ODAC is extremely sensitive to USB power. On my lenovo there is a constant buzz and distortion how on my Qosmio laptop the problem is non-existent. I ended up using an external USB hub on lenovo to fix the issue. 

I believe that should be possible as the usb connector would need to be relocated in order to fit in the case.  We should be able to solder the leads for the power on the usb connector to the battery while utilizing a triple pole switch, one pole for the usb power and the other poles for the line out of the odac to the line in of the X.  Then the usb connector would only be wired to the usb data pins on the ODAC board.  Utilizing the ODAC this way should be very popular as it will be powered by the X's lithium ion battery and will not require power from any device so it should be excellent for android devices and tablets. 

May 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #68 of 425
Quote:
I am just looking forward to owning it, DAC or no DAC the amp is a winner for me. I consider ODAC and DAC feature a minor upgrade :D

To have what very well may be the best single ended amplifier with an ODAC built in, the combined unit should surpass most if not all of the portable amp/dacs out there today.  I believe the one biggest complaint of the odac so far is power issues from the usb port, if it is able to utilize the X's battery it would be a very worthwhile upgrade IMHO.

May 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #69 of 425
Hey Poimandres, did you request your 627X without the screw on terminals?  I got this reply from Cesar back in February when I was inquiring about the preorder so I never asked for the screw on terminals when I ordered and my amp just shipped...

"I am planning on integrating the screw type battery terminals by default on all future amplifiers.  I will email you as soon as preordering is open for the 627X.  Thanks again and don't hesitate to email me anytime with any questions or comments you may have.  I will look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank You,
Cesar Aguilera
Portaphile Amplifiers"

May 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #71 of 425
Would you say the soldered connection would bring better sound quality at all or just a better connection for faster charging or something like that?  Thanks Poimandres.

May 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #72 of 425
Just a better connection it would lack the ability to quickly replace the battery though. Now that the new battery can last up to 3 times as long I really don't see that as a major issue.

May 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #73 of 425
Anyone having tried this combination: CLAS (any type) + Portaphile 627 (any type) + FitEar ToGo! 334 or AKG K3003?
How about hiss? Thanks!

May 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #74 of 425
Does anyone know if Cesar is open to custom Portaphile builds? I was hoping to maybe approach the man and ask him to do a Portaphile custom build for me which involved a DAC. Anyone?

May 26, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #75 of 425
I wonder how hard will it be to implement an RCA input on the portaphile, considering its strength I think it can be easily used as a very capable desktop amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back