portaphile produces a whine
Oct 27, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

feh1325

Headphoneus Supremus
my maxxed portaphile has a strange problem. after about 5 minutes after being turned on, the portaphile produces a constant whine. i have tried changing the battery.

anyone else have a similar problem?

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
my maxxed portaphile has a strange problem. after about 5 minutes after being turned on, the portaphile produces a constant whine. i have tried changing the battery.

I don't remember hearing a whine..If it continues to be a problem I will ask cesar about it..If it needs fixing, you can send it in to Cesar. It's still under warranty..If the warranty isn't transforable, just send me the amp back & I will send it to him..(I would cover the shipping charging due to the inconvience) You can also give me the amp back & I will refund your money.. Sorry about your problem..

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 11
That's definitely not normal, but Cesar will for sure take care of you, he is a class act!

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Yep -- that's weird. I've never heard any Portaphile -- since the very original (about 3 years ago???) that did that.

Some component has failed in yours. Contact Cesar -- Toot Sweet (nyuk-nyuk).

Mine is the sound of music. Silent with my super-sensitive ES2 IEMs (after about 15 secs. charge-up time).

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 11
Hello Feh1325, don't know what it could be but if you send it in I'll be more than happy to take care of it for you.

-Cesar

Nov 21, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just bought mine from another head-fier, and experienced the same!. This never happens with the elpac plugged in. Starts off as a high frequency whine on one channel, and then both and gets louder. When I changed the battery though (I am currently using alkalines) it went away. Cesar, did you find out what was the cause, and if it really was the dying battery, or is the the amp calling to return to its original owner
icon10.gif
-George

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 11
That doesn't sound like the problem the OP was asking about, mine has done that from day one:

That's the battery dying. Just replace the battery.

The OP tried changing his battery but it didn't help.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cesar, did you find out what was the cause, and if it really was the dying battery, or is the the amp calling to return to its original owner
icon10.gif
-George

feh1325 never contacted me so I never found out what was the problem with that particular amplifier. What you've (hydrocity) experienced does sound like a dying battery. Doesn't sound like thats the problem with the OP's amplifier. I'll try to contact him directly and see if I can get a response.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the quick responses!
Ok what originally prompted me to ask was that the battery I changed only lasted around 40 minutes adn was down to about 7.35v already, I put a new one and after 2 hours it is down to 7.63v. So it seems that the first one I used was indeed inferior vs the 2 hour duracell one. I should start using brand name batteries more or just get those 9.6v or lithium polymers.. Sorry for the thread revival and thanks again for your help guys!
-George

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 11
You can get better battery life by adjusting the operating parameters via the dip switches. There is quite a bit of coverage on that in the original Portaphile thread.

I have just started using rechargeable Li-Ion Polymer batteries, I have so far been very happy with the time between charges, and I don't have to keep buying new ones.

I figure I'll pay for the original investment in just a couple of months.

You can get them here:

Battery

Charger

I first experimented with NiMH batteries, but the first ones I tried wouldn't fit in the amp, and the second died in just an hour. So far the Li-Ion Polymers have been great.

Nov 21, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 11
Just heard back from feh1325 and it was indeed a battery issue. Thanks for the replies. Happy Listening.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back