Portables?
Apr 19, 2006 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, i know the first thing im gonna heard is "search", but to be honest iv tried havent got much results and dont care much to keep trying. So im looking for a good portable can ofr under $100. I listen to alot of hip hop, i have had the px-100 which i loved untill i lost them (will prob replace them sometime soon), had ex-51 just let me say they sucked, and iv had eggos which i liked but dident have enough bass for me. I havent been hanging around the headphons forum for a while now, so im not sure whats new and good. So gimme some ideas for good portable headphones, and o ya i would liek them to be close and IEMs are accetable.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 18
You can try the K81, like Jagorev stated. Or, for cheaper, you can replace your PX100s.

For IEMs, there has been a recent flurry over the Creative EP-630 and Sennheiser CX-300, both semi-IEMs (like the EX51) that are well below $100. You might want to try them out. As for true IEMs, the cheap contenders are the Shure E2C, Etymotic ER-6i, UE super.fi 3, and Westone UM1. You can find a lot of information about any of these models with the Search button, but I'm personally happy with the E2C for portable use; most Head-Fiers would rather recommend the UE or the Etymotic.

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 18
thanks for the suggestions. I was wonderign if anyone knows when the streetstlye version of the px-100 and 200 are coming out. I am thinking of just gettin a set of those.

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
thanks for the suggestions. I was wonderign if anyone knows when the streetstlye version of the px-100 and 200 are coming out. I am thinking of just gettin a set of those.

I believe they are already out. The model numbers are PMX100 and PMX200 I think.

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the ksc75

Because he asked for something closed.

(I doubt that the PX200 or its streetstyle version will have any significant isolation whatsoever).

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Because he asked for something closed.

(I doubt that the PX200 or its streetstyle version will have any significant isolation whatsoever).

I remember seeing a website listing the PX200's sound isolation at about 9 dB compared to an average IEM's sound isolation which is usually 25 dB or higher. Not to mention dBs increase algorithmically.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 18
lol i would wait for the Grado street styles but they seem to be a myth, iv been hearing about them for about a year now. Does anyone know if the pmx-200 have better bass than the px-200, cuz the px was weak on bass if you couldent get a proper seal and a proper seal was had to get and maintain.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 18
How come NO ONE buys the Sony MDR-G74SL?
Those kick the crap out of the PX series with such ease it's not funny.

Try the Philips HP460's if you want a sealed can. I love them and compared to my XD400's, they beat the CD400's in every way... except comfort.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 18
I bought the pmx 200's
mad.gif
, didn't get on with them listening to hip hop at all. Lacking in bass, isolation was rubbish and the band around the back bugged the hell out of me, catching on my coat all the time. Got some superfi 5eb's at the moment, most happy with them, only listen to hip hop....

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
How come NO ONE buys the Sony MDR-G74SL?
Those kick the crap out of the PX series with such ease it's not funny.

Try the Philips HP460's if you want a sealed can. I love them and compared to my XD400's, they beat the CD400's in every way... except comfort.

I didn't really find the G74s comfortable when I had them, due to the behind the head streetstyle design. I would much rather have a pair of traditional headband style headphones if to be used portably (KSC75s being the exception). The bass is alive and kicking though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back