Portable War: K81DJ v. ES7 v. HD25-1 II v. Other?
Sep 16, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I (the OP, *ahem*, lol) have the D1001s.

Heh heh heh...So you do. As musicmaker said, the HD25 wins on isolation for sure. They're pretty tough to beat soundwise in that form factor, too (though I'm one of those people who quite enjoys the ES7 sound
tongue_smile.gif
). I did not like the K81DJs much at all after owning them for a while. Their mids had a nice, natural tonality to them, sure, but they were recessed and completely overshadowed by the walloping bass and unrefined, grating highs. Bleh.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 37
I had the K81DJ, and now my little brother has them. For me the next upgrade was the HD25-1 And I never EVER regret that decision.
It's an amazing headphone. All parts replaceable, great for portable use and way more comfortable than the K81DJ.
Definitely worth the extra money!

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW9 > all.

x2

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 37
I liked the ESW9's sound signature but sold them. Why, you may ask ? I purchased them for portable use. Isolation is important to me in portable situations. They didn't really isolate. Also I found them uncomfortable for > 20 minutes of listening. But they do sound good.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 37
Klipsch X5

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

^ Not interesting in earbuds/canalphones/IEMs, sorry.

HD25-II
1) great neutral response from portable headphone
2) isolation only equaled in NC headphones and IEMS
3) good size, you can actually put it on your neck and be somewhat comfortable

- as you know though, these CAN be little flat at times, if you like colored sound. And that clamp can get little annoying over time.

I hope that helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #27 of 37
I can vouch for the durability of the HD-25's. So far it's the only headphone I've had that hasn't had to be sent in for repair or replacement (other than my less-than-one-month-old Image X10's).

I think durability should be just as important as portability, since whatever you buy has to last through the extra ruggedness you'll be putting it through. To be fair though, I haven't tried any of the other headphones you listed so I couldn't say they weren't durable enough for portable use either.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 37
OK, then. The HD-25 1 IIs are my next set of portable. When I sell my AKGs. They're super, duper expensive in NZ, though. I shall check out the international-shipping online retailers. Any suggestions?

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

As a portable?

THE ESW9 is designed to be used as a portable. Some may not like their use in that manner but yes portable headphones they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back