portable tube amp +dac
Jul 29, 2008 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone, I am rather enw to the world of hi-fi headphones. I have owned good headphones for about 2 years but only recently got a good amp+dac (see my pfofile).
I recently got rather interested into tube amps, problem is I have never heard any tubes, and not sure if they suit the music I listen to (pop/rock metal but actually a lot of everything, see my profile as well). I have recently bought a desktop setup, and since I only use a computer as source I think tubes might be a bit difficult because I do not think there are any tube amps+dacs. I could of course buy a separate dac but I suppose that would be very costly to get the seem quality as I have now because the headroom max dac that I have now is very highly rated (dac +samplerate converter actually) And I would probbably have to spent a lot more then what I spent for this setup to get the seem quality. So, I thought it might be a good Idea to try a portable tube setup first, I have an rsa predator now but they seem to be hot so it might be easy to sell.
So, I wonder are there any good portable tube amps out there? I would like to spend about 500 euro which is 800 dollar exlcuding shipping etc. It would be nice if I could get an amp+dac, but I suppose this is not possible, so maybe a portable dac as well for use with my laptop.
It would be nice if the amp was good for tube rolling because I listen to a lot of differnet music and I lik ehaving different headphones (rs1 is coming but I also want to buy edition 9).
It would be nice if the amp was rugged because I dont feel really save carrying these fragile tubes around...
Thanks in advance for any information/advice you can give me because I am a reel noob where tubes and tube amps are concerned...
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 15
i don't think there are any portable tube amps, as those tubes require a lot of current running thru them. if you want to go portable, you only have solidstates at the time being afaik.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 15
I will add that I think my TTVJ portable Millett Hybrid is a wonderful sounding amp. But I could never choose between my Predator and the TTVJ for a variety of reasons.

There is better low volume control in the volume pot of the Predator, and more flexible gain choices for my IEM (ttvj has one set gain), and the Predator has a nice DAC, and a warm "tube-like" sound. But the TTVJ has more power, and very rich seductive mids with strong bass. But the Predator seems a little more detailed and less forward than the TTVJ, while the Predator itself is still a little forward. The Predator is much more portable for use with my Nano, while the TTVJ is still small enough to pair with a full size iPod and not stand out.

See my profile for links to reviews of the TTVJ, Predator and more.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Hello everyone, Well i might start by getting a tube amp and getting a dac later since if I work on my laptop, where i would use the dac, i would have my mp3-player with me anyway so a dac is not totally neccessary. I think that i fi would buy a dac it would be the ultramicro. Anuy other suggestions for portable dacs.
I think i will extend my budget to about 1000 euro. I see headroom have a desktop tube amp I suppose it is not portable though.
Well, if there are no tubes on batteries maybe there are smallish and sturdy tube amps that have their tubes encased so that maybe you cannot use them with batteries but at least easily lug them around without fear of damaging the tubes or the amp.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not build a YAHA? Its a really easy circuit to build and they even sell PCB's for it. You can fit it into an Altoids tin and power it off of 10 NiMH AA's!

PCB: YAHA HEADAMP
Schematic: The YAHA amp
Headwize thread: HeadWize: DIY Workshop > The YAHA amp thread part 2

I suppose this is a solid state amp though? Anyway I am not a diyer. I dont even trust myself with removing things from my pc. But people assured me that removing tubes is totally easy so I think i might manage that hah.
Anyway, I already have a solid state portable amp, it is just that I really would like to try tubes ti see if I like them or not, to see if a fullsize tube amp would be something for me. And since I currently cannot really afford to get a fullsize tube I think portable is the right option.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Hello all, Wow the todd hybid really seems a nice amp! I LOOOOVE midrange (the k701 is my magica lphone, its not here atm but I plan on getting a k701 with gena cryo cable, its not the highest priority right now though). I also love love love a forward sound, I really liked the grado sr325i and are getting the rs1.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 15
There are much cheaper tube amp options that are true tube amps and not hybrids. Have you looked at the offerings of little dot? Of course no other tube amps are portable. You are paying a lot more to have that amp miniaturized and running off batteries... but that portable millet hybrid does look pretty nice...

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 15
Hello wow I see headroom has a millet hybrid as well... I wonder how they compare but that probbably wont be fair because the hr is no portable. It seems to be made for tube noobs however, it hs 3 pairs of tubes with a setting knob on the front to change the bias to work with whatever tube you are using. Not sure if you can use it with other tubes as well though.
I wodner if there is a lot of difference in sound between a 'true' tube amp and a hybrid?
the little dots seem nice. Are they small?
Anyone got experience with the xcanv8 I am not sure how large or small that thing it but it got the tubes covered I think.
Greetings, Anouk

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 15
Hello everyone,
A rather noob quesiton, why do people want to make hybrid amps? Why not go for total tube? I mean, i suppose it must have advantages to make a hybrid instead of tube only?

I thought you could just put in a tube and you were ready but after reading about the headroom millett hybrid it seems that normally you need to match voltsage excactly because the headroom amp comes with 3 pairs of tubes that have separate settings on the amp that already match them well. I am not sure if you can do much other tube rolling with it however because of this.
How would you normally match amp+tube?
Well I suppose the todd amp is the best option atm but the headroom might be the easiest for a tube noob like me. I already have the headroom desktop power supply but that would probbably mean I couldnt use it with my laptop because those two things together are not that portable.
I am also looking at the little dot single ended offerings but isnt the todd hybrid a lot better quality or is that just me imagining things?
Woo audio also seems to make tube amps bu tI dont know much about them.
And then there is the xcan v8 which has the tubes covered but not sure how large it is.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Little Dot and Woo Audio are both regarded as some great tube amps. The Woo6 and LD MKIV seem to be very popular choices, although not portable.

Just sort of curious, if you're buying a tube amp to "test" and see if you like the sound, given your budget, why not just get a good home tube amp setup, and go from there? If you don't like it, you can sell a Woo or LD on here pretty easily (they seem to go pretty fast in the FS forum), whereas if you get a portable tube amp, it seems the resale demand on used ones is less, I'd imagine because most people don't want to mess with a portable tube amp setup. There's also a lot of choice when it comes to home tube amps in your range, which would really allow you to look around at the general sound signature each amp has and pick the one that seems like it'd be best suited to your tastes and headphones.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Hello, All those choices, sigh I think I really should stop just buying eq because I think I migh tlioke it better then my curent stuff.
I think I hsould see about visiting hans from qables because I htink he has some tube headphone amps and see if I like them (more then the stuff I currently have). Pity for me the Netherlands head-fi meets where before I joined up so I will have to wait till next year. Not that my current setup is not nice mind you, I am just always looking for different sound signatures because my only point of reference where speakers/headphones are concerned is my current setup.
I might still consider getting the todd hybrid however. Well just have to see if I get any money freed up in a few months...
Well thanks again for the help everyone!
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose this is a solid state amp though? Anyway I am not a diyer. I dont even trust myself with removing things from my pc. But people assured me that removing tubes is totally easy so I think i might manage that hah.
Anyway, I already have a solid state portable amp, it is just that I really would like to try tubes ti see if I like them or not, to see if a fullsize tube amp would be something for me. And since I currently cannot really afford to get a fullsize tube I think portable is the right option.
Greetings, Anouk,

Its tube,using a 6922. If you want to learn how to solder then I'd highly recommend starting with a project like this. Either way if you don't like doing that then I understand. Personally I'm very happy with the amp I have which is a Chinese made HiFi RT-6P13P(just search for "6P13P" into eBay and you'll find it)or try one of the range of Little Dot amps. Basically good doesn't have to be expensive. Be prudent and you can find an excellent amp for a reasonable price.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back