Portable Tube amp by Oatley: K272
Sep 28, 2009 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Buzzerbro

100+ Head-Fier
I searched the forum for information on this amp but I found nothing. If it has already been posted here please let me know.

It uses low power JAN6418 tubes. It comes out of Australia from Oatley Electronics and I just got my kit. I will be putting it together this week but I don't have an enclosure yet.

Oatley K272 Kit

K272.JPG

There is more info on this amp here

I have always wanted a portable tube amp and this looks like a fun project.

By the way, I am not affiliated with the company who makes this amp. I was just looking for enclosure ideas.

-Buzzerbro

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 33
Uh its got a 3vpp swing, so with a 1x gain it would work very well with a bantam source. However its not going to work well with anything above 32 ohms with that low of a voltage.

Full tilt into my 64 ohm cans is only 17mw per channel.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 33
I quote:

"Since the 6418 tube are extremely microphonic and will "ring" if they are subjected to vibrations"

Given that the picture shows the recommended tube dampers, I'd like to see how well this translates in a portable amp.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 33
I am extremely curious about the battery life of this unit. I have been planning on ordering for a while now, I should just pull the trigger on it as there is very little to lose at $27 AUD. Please post your experiences with this thing, I will certainly post mine.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 33
I've just finished building one of this thing. It is certainly very easy to build, but I suggest to buy extra tubes because they are quite fragile.
I did not install the stock pots that came with the kit, instead I install an old 10k pot I had.

How does it sound? It is quite good, a bit on the lean side I would say. I do prefer more bass with my music and as Emooze pointed out, it is quite microphonic and such I really do not think it is good to be used as a portable, but I haven gotten the recommended dampers for the tubes.. maybe that will help.
In terms of sound and for $27AUD and as long as you do not bounced it around, I would say that this little amp is a no brainer.Get it!
I’ll be post some pics soon.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 33
Here are a few pics of my tupperware k272
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 33
Even at its reasonable price, if the battery time is 2 hours or in that area it would be a total deal breaker for me. There would be absolutely no point in owning the device. I understand that the battery powered aspect limits the noise problem that one might experience with a dodgy power supply, but come on do I really want to have to swap batteries every 2 hours?

However, if the battery does hold up for a while, this can be one of the best values in audio today. Many sources indicate that the sound is excellent.

I am still eager to hear from someone on this issue, thanks in advanced for your input.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 33
I left the amp playing before going to bed. Now after 5.5 hrs is still playing music!!
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 33
5.5 hours with 2 (parallel) battery right ?

still play music ? even disttorted music ?

not bad

now, I have a problem getting this kit from Oatley website, they don;t have an "option" of my "country".
smily_headphones1.gif

and I try to email those people... no reply ... :0

why ? does anyone has this experience ?

Cal

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 33
I finished building this amp and I am still playing with it. It sounds pretty good but I have not tested it in a portable situation.

The paperwork that came with the amp says it draws 11mA. I will test this when I get a chance with my own amp. So with a 150 mAh 9V rechargeable battery you could get about 13 hours of use.

I will be posting pictures soon so stay tuned.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 33
Sorry for the resurrection, but there isn't a more current thread... I've been looking for a cheap DIY amp to try, and so I took the plunge on the K272. Just ordered today.

Is there anyone else out there who has one?? I've seen a couple threads on diyaudio, but not much more than that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back