Portable/Transportable DAC's w/Optical?
Jan 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using an older (DAC only) MicroDAC with my H140 and have been very happy with the results. However, I always planned on keeping an eye out for anything new that is smaller, sounds better, or gets better battery life. I've seen the ibasso D1, but my main interest is a DAC only unit so I can keep including my SR71 which I'm pretty fond of (I'm also still convinced that separate amp is still the way to go quality-wise). I realize the ibasso D1 amp is bypassable...but I'm not yet convinced that it's DAC would be any kind of step up from a MicroDAC

With the Pico, Predator, and Govibe units....there seems to be lots of new DAC choices out there, but they're all USB. The optical options seem to be drying up out there. Anybody aware of any other good DAC's around that sport an optical input and run on batteries?

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 5
This thread should provide some info:

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 5
BTW, what kind of battery life are you getting out of the microDac ?

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, what kind of battery life are you getting out of the microDac ?

Thanks for the threads to you both. I'm getting around 10 hours or less on alkalines (with the swapping the batteries' position nonsense).

Edit: After reviewing your suggestions, us "portable" iriver optical guys are slim on options for DAC only units with onboard battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back