Portable sub $50 headphones like Koss Porta Pro
Jul 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Kodiak567

New Head-Fier
Hey

I am looking for cheap portable or sub-portable headphones for less than 50 dollars. Prefer them to be open or half-open, compact, foldable and durable - don't want them to get broken after first fall. They must be comfortable and I don't want them to make my head hot. I won't use any extra amplifiers with them and will use many different mp3 players and other sources of sound. Can do basic mod, prefer not. I like sound to be clean, deep and natural. None of those edgy models with super bass or extra hi/low tones and similar, nothing jammed or hidden. Instrumental music preferred but this ain't rule.

What are my choices? I don't know what to pick, and I don't mind chineese brands if they are good. Some basic examples here, list to be enhanced:

Koss Porta Pro
Koss KSC75
Koss KTXPRO1
ISK HP-580 (Superlux 668B alternative)
Takstar HD2000
AKG K420
JVC HA-S160
Somic V2 (MH463 upgrade)

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 31
I use the Koss KTXPRO1 and enjoy it a lot!

It's not foldable, durable, or very comfortable, though. It has boosted lower frequencies that can sometimes make music sound more impactful and other times just more muddy. Overall, though, it sounds exciting and has good clarity in the upper frequencies. It's accurate enough that I usually don't bother equalizing it, and I listen to all types of music. I think its sound quality surpasses many headphones in the three-figure range!

You seem to want a perfectly accurate headphone, but there's no such thing. To get closer to that, you can use EQ.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 31
  I use the Koss KTXPRO1 and enjoy it a lot!

It's not foldable, durable, or very comfortable, though. It has boosted lower frequencies that can sometimes make music sound more impactful and other times just more muddy. Overall, though, it sounds exciting and has good clarity in the upper frequencies. It's accurate enough that I usually don't bother equalizing it, and I listen to all types of music. I think its sound quality surpasses many headphones in the three-figure range!

You seem to want a perfectly accurate headphone, but there's no such thing. To get closer to that, you can use EQ.

Those are cheap and look nice actually. Are they using same parts as KSC 75? Sadly I can't find any available anywhere near, seems all sold out.

If you want something like the Koss Porta Pro but taking it to the next level I think you can't go wrong with the Sennheiser PX 100-II. They're currently $47 at B&H. 

Thanks, those looks nice but how do they compare to those chineese headphones I listed? The price is very similar.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 31
  Those are cheap and look nice actually. Are they using same parts as KSC 75? Sadly I can't find any available anywhere near, seems all sold out.

Same drivers, different enclosure. The KTX sounds much better to me. The only advantage of the KSC, in my opinion, is the sparkly treble and soundstage.

What country do you reside in?

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 31
Interesting because I do own broken KSC 75. Hated clips and decided to go full headband, but as for sound quality those were great, perhaps bit too warm but it's a matter of preference. Now it seems there are KSC 75 with stock headband actually, awesome. Also I'm from EU.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 31
  Interesting because I do own broken KSC 75. Hated clips and decided to go full headband, but as for sound quality those were great, perhaps bit too warm but it's a matter of prefference. Now it seems there are KSC 75 with stock headband actually, awesome. Also I'm from EU.

Thanks to the different enclosures, the KSC sounds quite different from the KTX, even when you push them close to your ears.

Ah. I'm in the US, so I dunno much about where to get stuff in other countries. Plus "EU" doesn't tell me which country.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 31
I see, did you try both and compared? Are they using same drivers/electronics? From other thread I can quote this:

Koss has 3 drivers:

A) Sporta Pro = PortaPro = KSC-35.
B) KTX Pro 1 = UR40 = KSC-55 = KSC-50.
C) KSC-75.

The best is A type. Search the threads for more info on built and sound differences.

The country now - Poland. Basically shipping here from US costs as much as second pair of KTXPRO1.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 31
  I see, did you try both and compared? Are they using same drivers/electronics? From other thread I can quote this:

The country now - Poland. Basically shipping here from US costs as much as second pair of KTXPRO1.

I owned the KTXPRO1, KSC75, and UR40 at the same time, and still own the KTXPRO1.

I'm almost certain the KSC75 and KTXPRO1 have the same drivers. I'm skeptical about the UR40 having the same drivers due to its much larger size.

I guess you should just look for online marketplaces that ship from your country.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 31
If you thought the KSC75 were a little too warm I'm not sure you'd want to go for Porta Pros, great enjoyable headphone but are thicker and bassier than my recollection of KSC75.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 31

I owned the KTXPRO1, KSC75, and UR40 at the same time, and still own the KTXPRO1.

I'm almost certain the KSC75 and KTXPRO1 have the same drivers. I'm skeptical about the UR40 having the same drivers due to its much larger size.

I guess you should just look for online marketplaces that ship from your country.

The KSC-75 and KTXPRO1 do use the same drivers. Confirmed  by a Koss employee I emailed a year or more ago.

I like that sparkly treble and soundstage of the KSC-75. Most of the stuff I've heard under $50 tends to sound too muddy with limited highs to me. I thought the KTXPRO1 kinda sounded like butt. Not hot chick butt either. Old fat guy butt. I didn't much care for the PortaPro either. Funny how personal preferences can be so different.

I've got a pair of KSC-75s and KSC-35s. Each with the PE headband. These are my daily use beater headphones.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 31
  The KSC-75 and KTXPRO1 do use the same drivers. Confirmed  by a Koss employee I emailed a year or more ago.

I like that sparkly treble and soundstage of the KSC-75. Most of the stuff I've heard under $50 tends to sound too muddy with limited highs to me. I thought the KTXPRO1 kinda sounded like butt. Not hot chick butt either. Old fat guy butt. I didn't much care for the PortaPro either. Funny how personal preferences can be so different.

I've got a pair of KSC-75s and KSC-35s. Each with the PE headband. These are my daily use beater headphones.

And as you know, I thought the KSC75 sounded closer to Apple earbuds in the bass and mids, whereas the KTXPRO1 sounds more like a headphone that costs hundreds of dollars, at least with some music, despite the boosted lower frequencies that can make it sound muddy at times. (That is fixed by EQ, and then it's not muddy anymore.)

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 31
From what you people write here is that KSC 75 is better than Porta Pro. That is for real or a matter of preference?

Because if so, I might be trying to fix my own KSC 75, needs lot of desoldering and resoldering which I'm afraid of because I'm not good at it. Would recabling make any real difference? And what cable? Beside I could try to mod them further, but what beside Kramer mod is out there that would work? Also they quite damaged on one side, for example membrane on one side has a puncture that is around 1/25 inch (1mm) wide, part of material rolled under so it's unrecoverable. I could try to fix it, people tell me to either superglue it or use some thick duct tape there - would it work or is it ruined forever? Did anyone have any sort of such problem before?

Sad part about Koss lifelong warranty in my place is that it's not free, in order to get them repaired I am supposed to pay around $20, which is cost of new KSC 75 pair.

On the other hand, there's for example this cheap china offer for Takstar HD2000, around $20 are those viable? I know different type of product but I did read quite nice reviews of them and the price is very interesting.

As for KSC 75 vs KTXPRO1, I do preffer clean and deep sound that is probably more natural and not really hiding anything. More like study headphones, of course in cheap outdoor/mixed segment. Would KSC 75 or KTXPRO1 be better for that?

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 31
As for KSC 75 vs KTXPRO1, I do preffer clean and deep sound that is probably more natural and not really hiding anything. More like study headphones, of course in cheap outdoor/mixed segment. Would KSC 75 or KTXPRO1 be better for that?

KTXPRO1 has much stronger, deeper bass, along with a more physical, powerful sound across the spectrum. Both have boosted treble; the KTX less so. But both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 31
  From what you people write here is that KSC 75 is better than Porta Pro. That is for real or a matter of preference?

Because if so, I might be trying to fix my own KSC 75, needs lot of desoldering and resoldering which I'm afraid of because I'm not good at it. Would recabling make any real difference? And what cable? Beside I could try to mod them further, but what beside Kramer mod is out there that would work? Also they quite damaged on one side, for example membrane on one side has a puncture that is around 1/25 inch (1mm) wide, part of material rolled under so it's unrecoverable. I could try to fix it, people tell me to either superglue it or use some thick duct tape there - would it work or is it ruined forever? Did anyone have any sort of such problem before?

Sad part about Koss lifelong warranty in my place is that it's not free, in order to get them repaired I am supposed to pay around $20, which is cost of new KSC 75 pair.

On the other hand, there's for example this cheap china offer for Takstar HD2000, around $20 are those viable? I know different type of product but I did read quite nice reviews of them and the price is very interesting.

Your 75s are trashed. I wouldn't waste the effort to fix them.

I think Music Alchemist and I are hearing similar things between the 2 pairs, but interpret them completely differently. So preference is definitely playing a part here.
In any case, I think the drivers that Koss uses are fantastic for how cheap they are. Probably why people have fit them into all sorts of enclosures, including some Grado type wood cups, PVC, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back