Portable sub $50 headphones like Koss Porta Pro
Jul 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 31
One question I got is how they compare to Porta Pros? Because I can get Porta Pros for around $10 more. I have heard Porta Pros are more comfortable than both KTXPRO1 and KSC75, but what about sound? Also from my experience KSC75's weren't comfortable after few hours of constant use, especially when moving outdoors.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 31
I found a shop that has KSC75 and KSC75T listed. Price is same, is there any difference?

I didn't know there were 2 models. Maybe one is specific to your region? Maybe its a color difference?

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 31
If you google it you will see that some shops, mainly in Europe got hold of those "T" models. I've emailed couple of them about the issue but so far got no response.

As for KOSS prices here, checking by cheapest available without shipping:

KSC75 - $19
KTXPRO1 - $20 (probably not there anymore, just listed on some website)
Porta Pro - $34

For me the difference between Porta Pro and KSC75 ain't that big, and I would need to ditch out few dollars more for KSC75 headband so I am slowly opting for Porta Pros now. Probably will pass on chineese headphones, while sound quality for price could be better, durability probably won't.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 31
Probably will pass on chineese headphones, while sound quality for price could be better, durability probably won't.

I think that's a little bit of a misconception- Koss do not have a great reputation for durability, though they somewhat compensate for that with a lifetime warranty in some regions. Might check to see what kind of coverage you get in your area.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 31
Well I don't want headphones that will break after first fall. Clip-on KSC75 were quite good in this area, being rolled over by a heavy duty truck or thrown around few times. Sadly while all those headbands are much more comfortable, and I'm really after it, they would probably break to pieces in such situation. I have a feeling that most of those Chinese sub-$50 headphones that offer awesome sound quality wouldn't even qualify to be used outdoors.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 31
  Well I don't want headphones that will break after first fall. Clip-on KSC75 were quite good in this area, being rolled over by a heavy duty truck or thrown around few times.

It got run over by a truck without being damaged?!
eek.gif

I always thought Koss products in the budget range look and feel like cheap toys.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 31
Clip-on was damaged, driver untouched. After replacing clip it worked as well as before. Also they fell down the lake once, when being turned on and they did not stop working but I got them out of water very fast.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 31
Cheap plastic can be probably quite elastic while metal parts would bend or break under same pressure. I am sure they fell down flat with clip part being on top, getting touched at any angle would most likely turn them into pieces.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 31
wow that's amazing... my last two pair of ksc75 lasted about 4 months each haha (clip mounting point snapped off, cable pulled out of driver), though I was using a lot while hiking so pretty rough treatment... that's why I ended up with Porta Pro this time, though I wanted to try ktxpro got a really good deal.

Do you use earbuds at all? Fewer parts to break and many these days many are regarded as quite good, and they tend to have a more "open" type sound- I used to have a pair of ATH-CM707 which had very nice build quality and sound, cost around $45 though price is rather high at the moment.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #27 of 31
I don't like earbuds for few reasons. First, not all earbuds fit my ears like I would like them and constant adjustment is needed. Second, if want to keep using them for few hours, they will most likely hurt my ears, just like KSC75 clips did. Third, I prefer open headphones so I can hear what people are talking to me when I'm not alone. But what I like is fact that they are super-foldable and very light.

Right now I found few interesting offers, for just above $40 Somic V2, for just above $20 Takstar HD2000 and for bit below $10 JVC HA-S160 but none of these folds or is lightweight. And I am sure none of them would survive any longer than any earlier mentioned KOSS products.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #28 of 31
I meant earbuds like the kind that don't seal/isolate in the ear, but fair enough, just a thought.

Those JVC flats are very decent for the price, though closed back they don't isolate very much.

I just remembered the Shure srh144 which are open back, foldable  <$50, no idea how they sound though.
Anyway hope you find something that suits you
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #30 of 31
The Shures? No idea, but they look a little bulky- can see pictures of them folded up in google. Actually I don't think the Porta Pros would fit comfortably in a pocket either since they don't fold flat, just into a small circle, unless you mean a jacket or cargo pant pocket maybe. I don't remember the JVC folding at all, just the earcups rotate.

If you mean like a normal pants pocket, probably px100 folds up the smallest and flattest? Plus there are some slim cases you can buy IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back