Portable Speaker advice...
Mar 29, 2005 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I was hiking a mountain with some mates over Easter and we ended up camping under a tarp strung up between trees.

It was nice and bonding 'n all but there was a moment when we all wished we had some background music.

I just wondered if anyone out there knows of some good sounding portable speakers that are small enough to stick in my back-pack, run off batteries and can connect to my iPod or PCDP?

I have had some before that really sucked, they sounded tinny and harsh. I don't want to log a woofer around with me but has anyone found something I should consider?

ZT

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 18
I've heard that the creative travel speakers sound pretty decent for their size. They fit all of your physical requirements at least.

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 18
There's the JBL On Tour, that's not too bad. For traveling, it's mono, but the rechargable Tivoli iPal/Pasl are decent too. All depends on your expectations. Gotta say though (because of suffering more in the opposite direction), when in nature listen to nature.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
There's the JBL On Tour, that's not too bad. For traveling, it's mono, but the rechargable Tivoli iPal/Pasl are decent too. All depends on your expectations. Gotta say though (because of suffering more in the opposite direction), when in nature listen to nature.
wink.gif

Down here you can have too much of a good thing. I take your point though.

I'm figuring on the batteries running down after a few hours.

(Perhaps I just wanna show of).

ZT

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 18
I know from experience that the Creative Travelsound speakers are better than the Sony SRS-T77. They aren't as muffled and don't have such overpowering bass. I will note, also, that I find portable speakers to be a bad solution to outdoor music. They don't seem to be able to fill up the room because they aren't powerful enough. At least that is my experience with the Creative and Sony.

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
I know from experience that the Creative Travelsound speakers are better than the Sony SRS-T77. They aren't as muffled and don't have such overpowering bass. I will note, also, that I find portable speakers to be a bad solution to outdoor music. They don't seem to be able to fill up the room because they aren't powerful enough. At least that is my experience with the Creative and Sony.

I'm starting to think you're right. How can a small speaker sound any good in a forest? Then I do remember takin' the ol' ghetto-blaster to the beach as a teen.

I'm leaning toward the Tivoli iPal/Pal because people are saying it has the best sound (despite being mono).

ZT

Mar 30, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Consider the Altec Lansing InMotion speakers. While they will not have the same sound q as the Tivoli, it will be much more backpackable. It's not gonna give you the sound output of the old ghetto blaster but it still puts out a decent amount for the situation you describe. I have one and it easily slips in the front compartment of my backpack leaving plenty of room in the maincompartment for whatever you usually pack with you. It's basically about the size of about the size of a paperback book. It also runs off 4 AA batteries. The manufacturer claims 24hrs on a set which I think is a stretch but have never played mine consistently for that long to confirm. Even if gets half that it's no biggie to bring another set of AAs along. Another bonus is that it can act as it's own fully fuctioning dock and also makes a great alarm clock at home.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Consider the Altec Lansing InMotion speakers. While they will not have the same sound q as the Tivoli, it will be much more backpackable. It's not gonna give you the sound output of the old ghetto blaster but it still puts out a decent amount for the situation you describe. I have one and it easily slips in the front compartment of my backpack leaving plenty of room in the maincompartment for whatever you usually pack with you. It's basically about the size of about the size of a paperback book. It also runs off 4 AA batteries. The manufacturer claims 24hrs on a set which I think is a stretch but have never played mine consistently for that long to confirm. Even if gets half that it's no biggie to bring another set of AAs along. Another bonus is that it can act as it's own fully fuctioning dock and also makes a great alarm clock at home.

Thanks BigFil,

I was sure someone out there would backpack experience.

I think my Dad's got the Altec Lansing, perhaps I'll borrow it next time I head to the hills.

ZT

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Thanks BigFil,

I was sure someone out there would backpack experience.

I think my Dad's got the Altec Lansing, perhaps I'll borrow it next time I head to the hills.

ZT

I used the Creative Travelsounds for hiking, camping and in hotel rooms and they work great. They are light and portable and the sound is amazing. Plus, using decent batteries will give you anywhere from 20-30 hours worth of playing time. I was able to and fit the Travel Sounds into the small mesh front pocket of my backpack and listen to music while I was hiking without having to take the speakers and player out of my bag.

I highly recommend them.

cool.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 18
For backpacking, I would recommend taking a Martin Backpacker Guitar. It sounds a lot better next to a campfire than an iPod.

See ya
Steve

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 18
Creatives line of travelsound portable speakers are the top of the list I think my friend just bought them for his zen xtra and I might buy one for my zen micro

they also work on any dap since it hooks into the headphone jack.

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 18
I second (or third, I lost count) the Creative Travel Sounds. Like the solid, compact form factor and the sound is very decent. Only thing is they are a little "front heavy," so it's kinda easy to tip them on their face if you bump them just so. Otherwise, can't fault them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back