Portable Sources w/Digital Output Listing
Apr 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #92 of 186
Gang, are any PCDP with optical out available on Amazon. It is actually kind of difficult to search for ALL of their PCDPs and even harder to determine if a given player has optical out.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #95 of 186
I think you can now add the Ipod to the list !

The Wadia 170i Transport is a dock which has an SPDIF coax output (proper output as well, not synthesised from analog but straight from ipod somehow bypassing the analogue stage). £350 in the UK.

Wadia 170iTransport Home Page

I'm now thinking of seriously converting over to this or the Archos from my CD player.

Does anyone know whether with the Archos/rdock you can plug in an external USB hard drive and browse it as if its an internal drive to play music ? (rather than just using it to copy files to/from).

If you can that will probably tip me that way as I'll just rip my CD collection to WAV's initially. If you can't I'll probably go the ipod/Apple Lossless route.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #96 of 186
Aiwa XP-7 has a optical out jack on the left side.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #98 of 186
MZ-R700/N510 has a 3.5mm optical/line-in combo jack.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #99 of 186
DVP-260S optic and coaxial seems closer to what I would want from a portable. if it would support rockbox i want one. i can't acces the manual atm. does anyone know of a diy portable project with optical/coaxial?

edit: manual coax only for dts. missunderstood because of lack of info on the site
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #100 of 186
Add the Denon DCP-150 coaxial digital out (but the Denon DCP-100 does not have digital out- sounds really good- better than any ipod- but not as good as the DCP-150 which has better oversampling- both units feature DAC's that were not optimized for power conservation and are warmer sounding and not brittle or sterile...some of those DAC's are still used today).

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gang, are any PCDP with optical out available on Amazon. It is actually kind of difficult to search for ALL of their PCDPs and even harder to determine if a given player has optical out.

I have (2) Denon DCP-150's in the original boxes- both of course have digital out- not optical- besides coax sounds better than optical. I also have one used DCP-100 (no digital out- but will still sound better than many digital out players fed into a separate DAC..but the Apogee Mini DAC and Apogee Duet will beat it- to my ears the Benchmark would be a reasobable comparison but the benchmark 1 is not as warm.)

They also sound far better than any iPod and they have remotes- and you can set the top voulme with the rotary control and then use the remote to control it there after so your gain stages can be optimally set. They were the pinnacle of PCDP's- and few were sold because they retailed for over $600.

The can also read recordable CD's

And hey have both variable output and fixed line level outs- bass boost if you want it (you won't as they have plenty of clean low bass) and they play much louder into any source than say a Sony D777. I think they can handle high impedance headphones better as well.

They do not have a digital volume control (thank god)- it is a rotary volume control that is nice and clean.

They also have the simplest user interface and are programmable. IMHO it is the finest sounding compact disc portable ever made. All Metal casing too- with soft touch coating.

And... I'll sell them to get a cable upgrade for my Edition 9 Ultrasones and a dock cable for my iMod which is on its way to me as we speak- then hopefully my iMod will beat the DCP-150

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #102 of 186
On the Sony D-NE800:the headphone jack can be switched to act as line-out (optical) when set via a menu option.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #103 of 186
I purchased a used D-E451 that is listed as having a digital out and I see no digital out on this device? Is this list wrong or am I overlooking it?
Thanks

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #104 of 186
Bump ------ This seems to be the case with quite a few players on this list. Reviewing the Sony manuals shows no evidence of digital out.
redface.gif
An example of this is the D-EJ611 and the D-E451 I mentioned above.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #105 of 186
Quote:

I purchased a used D-E451 that is listed as having a digital out and I see no digital out on this device? Is this list wrong or am I overlooking it?
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by espressogeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump ------ This seems to be the case with quite a few players on this list. Reviewing the Sony manuals shows no evidence of digital out.
redface.gif
An example of this is the D-EJ611 and the D-E451 I mentioned above.

I also observed that. Someone should ask a mod to 'hijack' the first post to have an updated list and possibly organized better (more info). unfortunately i'm not that free or frequently around here.

Dexdexter
Headphoneus Supremus

1. Last Activity: 05-16-2008 06:01 PM (it could not apply due to database issues, but also no posts since then)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back