Portable semi closed low profile headphones
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ib1dance

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking at getting some low profile semi closed headphones for wearing at work in a public place .Specifically I'd like them to have  ,Medium Level of external sound Isolation and be relatively compact.And of course the best sounding that fits these specs .

Thus Far the following headphones have my attention,though only the HD 228 have the correct form factor .Any other suggestions appreciated that fit my Critea = low profile with a moderate external isolation

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD 228 <<< Decent sound? with Moderate isolation.I'm not sure these will sound Good enough for me to be content with them .Anyone compare these too the PX100's ? .[/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em] Sennheiser PX 200 ii                <<< Reviewed to sound better than the above but the isolation is higher than I'd ideally wish for .[/size]

[size=1.7em] Maxell DHP-II - Headphones <<< Reviewed as Quality sounding though Little too large as I will be wearing them in public and where I live their is a Size of headphone to stare factor ratio .[/size]

Thanks 

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 10
The $13 JVC HAS160 "Flats" seems perfect for you. It is quite compact and closed, but doesn't isolate so well. It sounds great for the price. It is my favorite headphone under $40.

The HD228 has very low efficiency, so it may not play loud enough with a low powered portable. The sound quality is said to be very mediocre. The HAS160 probably sounds better.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks! I hadn't even seen those before . I might first go for the PX 200 ii .The only way I'm going to find out if their level of isolation suits the environment I will be listening to music with them in, is to buy them and try them . Then if I do feel they isolate me too much I may give the JVC HAS160's a try .

Though on Jokers Portable headphone comparison thread the PX 200 ii's have the same isolation score as my Superlux HD668B, which is about the moderate level of isolation I'm after .

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 10
For a bit more isolation than the HAS160 in a compact headphone, look at the  the JVC HAS650($40). The HAS160 sounds rather neutral, rather than the HAS650, which has a warm sound signature similar to that of the Sennheiser  PX100. Since the HAS160 is so good and so cheap, I think everyone should buy one.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 10
The PX200II at around $75 does imo seem overpriced. I guess it is good, however I do wonder if it is better than the $40 JVC HAS650 or not.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
The PX200II at around $75 does imo seem overpriced. I guess it is good, however I do wonder if it is better than the $40 JVC HAS650 or not.

Indeed! I'd like to be able to compare the two .I'm now also very interested in the JVCS650 V the PX200II.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/502546/jvc-ha-s650-review-pics

Quote from that review 

Just remember, if you want something with more bass, something like the AKG K518s would fit you better, but the bass should be adequate enough for others

http://www.slashgear.com/jvc-ha-s650-headphones-review-1285339/
Without a little attention we found bass-heavy music to lack a little punch at the low-end

If you primarily listen to bass-heavy music then there are probably better headphones out there

mm..? Do the JVCS650 give enough bass extension to handle the genres of House music that I listen to?

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I've also been reading plenty of reviews that question the bass of the PX200 II'S and the Audio-technica ES55 .

Anyone know of a headphone with the same compact closed form factor as these two though with a well documented and reviewed 'enough   bass extension' for music that has a Decent Bass? .

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 10
It is very hard to get strong deep bass from a compact driver. The HA-S650 has a 36mm driver. Typically people get a large headphone with a 50mm driver when they want that strong bass impact. A smaller driver can't move as much air as a larger one. I don't find the HAS650 to be bass deficient, although it doesn't have the bass slam of good larger headphones. If you want that, then either get a larger headphone, or get an IEM with a driver on the large size. I guess when it comes to IEMs, one with a good 12.5mm driver might have the same bass impact as a headphone with a good 50mm driver?

I think the PX200II might only have a 30mm driver. The JVC HAS160 has a 30mm driver.

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Of course :) 

I don't find the HAS650 to be bass deficient

It's difficult to Gage without hearing them, as many of the reviews I read don't use many comparisons .The Quote  "If you primarily listen to bass-heavy music then there are probably better headphones out there" is very vague .Leaving more questions than answers,like , What better headphones out there within the form factor ? and if so why not name some of them in this review .If not within the same form factor then you are hardily being fair evaluating this headphones performance by other Bigger headphones & not making that distinction clear for the reader .

Another reviewing stating the opposite of the HAS650. 
blink.gif
  http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RPOVP46W4DY8R/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RPOVP46W4DY8R

Though I wouldn't give the reviewer too much credibility as he/she seems to relate headphones to Cigars 
confused_face_2.gif

[size=small]The Bass however, although well controlled, is very overpowering in these units. The low notes are there, but mid bass frequencies are heightened so you get a lot of bass! The mid-range seems to be really low down in the sound spectrum for these units. Its mostly coloured by the bass that these units produce.[/size]

well controlled and overpowering ?! 

I'm  interested which  low profile ,semi closed headphones  achieves the best bass performance within the physical limitations of it's relatively small size . Not forgetting the Mids and highs 

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 10
The AKG518 is said to have strong bass, but also to be extremely uncomfortable. Especially with a smaller driver, a tigh seal giving great isolation is what is needed to get good deep bass.

You need actually try some of these headphones yourself to decide what you like. Aside from having different sound preferences than others, headphones will fit you differently than they fit others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back