Portable Player to Replace Clip+
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MixingWizard

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

So after probably two years my faithful Clip+ has started to die on me. The headphone output has an intermittent connection, which fine for general listening but I usually have it plugged into a 20kw PA system for work (I'm a sound engineer, I use it to play background music between bands) so the loud pop it makes when you move it isn't ideal.

I'm looking for something with a dedicated line output and a micro SD port - preferably something that can take Rockbox. Also, is there a player with a signal generator? That would be amazingly useful.

Current candidates are the xDuoo X3 and the FiiO X1.

It would be great to get some opinions on this.

Many thanks,
MixingWizard

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 8
I had xDuoo X3 for a couple of days and returned it because the headphone out had the same problem as you described. For this reason I don't think it is suitable to your needs. Which is a shame, as it can run Rockbox. I suppose build quality of FiiO X1 is better, but never had one.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 8
I had xDuoo X3 for a couple of days and returned it because the headphone out had the same problem as you described. For this reason I don't think it is suitable to your needs. Which is a shame, as it can run Rockbox. I suppose build quality of FiiO X1 is better, but never had one.

Ah, sorry to hear that. It's inevitable with mini-jacks over time, but it shouldn't happen that quickly - they must be using a really low quality connector. I'm amazed the clip lasted so long to be honest.

What are you rocking now?

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Ah, sorry to hear that. It's inevitable with mini-jacks over time, but it shouldn't happen that quickly - they must be using a really low quality connector. I'm amazed the clip lasted so long to be honest.

What are you rocking now?
I have four Clip Zips, two of which are still in perfect condition. Like you I'm on the lookout for alternatives, but I'm really in no hurry. It's so hard to find something better than a Clip with the latest Rockbox version.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I have four Clip Zips, two of which are still in perfect condition. Like you I'm on the lookout for alternatives, but I'm really in no hurry. It's so hard to find something better than a Clip with the latest Rockbox version.

Sorry for the late reply but I was wondering. Do you find updating Rockbox brings anything sound quality wise? I installed it years ago on mine and never bothered to update it, although it does occasionally crash when skipping albums so maybe I should...

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry for the late reply but I was wondering. Do you find updating Rockbox brings anything sound quality wise? I installed it years ago on mine and never bothered to update it, although it does occasionally crash when skipping albums so maybe I should...
The latest update doubles(!) battery life. Parametric EQ now supports Q values down to 0.1. There are a few new DSP features you can play with. Possibly other stuff I didn't notice, including bug fixes.

Did I mention battery life is doubled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back