Portable non portable set-up
Oct 22, 2001 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Owen Meany

New Head-Fier
First let me say hello, I am new here and found this site via Jude and the Audio Asylum...

I am putting togeather my first Headphone set-up and had been thinking that I would like it to be somewhat poratable around the house. So, I could listen to it in the office, livingroom or bedroom. It occured to me that if I use an amp stand to place my set up on that should work great. Any thoughts? Anyone try this?

Here is the direction I am heading:

Audio Refinement Complete CD>>>undetermined cables>>>either a Ear Max or ASL or ???>>>HD 600...

Anythoughts on Cables or Amps..

Thanks, jb

Oct 22, 2001 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

I am putting togeather my first Headphone set-up and had been thinking that I would like it to be somewhat poratable around the house. So, I could listen to it in the office, livingroom or bedroom. It occured to me that if I use an amp stand to place my set up on that should work great.

I've never tried that, Owen. Let us know how it works.

Regarding the cables: What's your price range? I'm sure many people here would be willing to give you recommendations within your price range that they've had good results with. Same goes for the amp.

Owen, can you give us more information about that CD player? I've not read or heard much on that particular brand/model. I just checked out the manufacturer's web site, and it looks like a really nice player.

Oct 23, 2001 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 4
I got the Complete CD at a really good used price and it is in excellent condition. That and the fact this is my "second" system I felt the Complete would work out well. I know the unit has had many favorable reviews, and has the whole Complete line. At 450, it was a no brainer. Hey, and if I can live with it, I sell it.

Cables: I am in the 200 dollar range. I suspect I will bounce between several pair over the next few months as I become "in tune" with the rig's strenght and weakness'. I always enjoy a little tweaking..if the highs roll off...HG Silvers?? Not...Tuth links? Kimber selects??? I dunno....I guess I was wonder what effect the intimate nature od headphones have on "critical" listening..If I should get a real solid preformer interconnect right off the bat??

Tubes: I seem to be leaning that way. Almost everything I read points to tubes being a great match with the 600's....I have always been a SS type...this seems like a good time to enter into the tubes...

I'll let you know about the amp stand....it seems like a good adea..

jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back