Portable headphones with best passive noise cancelling and best microphone to cancel ambient noise?
Jun 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

csj0952

New Head-Fier
I sometimes work on conference calls from noisy coffee shops.  Would like to get a somewhat portable headphone that has a really good microphone so that people on the conference call don't hear alot of ambient noise.  Would prefer a headphone that has decent passive noise cancellation and doesn't require an amp out of a laptop or iphone.  

Would prefer a headphone that isn't too huge and will fit in a messenger bag and doesn't look like I'm in a sound studio.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 8
In terms of noise cancelling and mic, Bose is actually pretty damn good. It's not so great in terms of SQ, but for your purpose, it might do the job perfectly. However, the NC is ANC, meaning you need to put batteries in the headphones, which isn't too much of a hassle. No need for a separate amp or anything. It's all built in.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Yea I don't really like Bose and I don't want to have "active" NC where I need batteries, just a decent passive NC with 2 mics where one listens to ambient noise and the other listens near your voice...my v-moda 80s have it now but they are uncomfortable,

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Have you considered IEMs? Most closed back isolate no where near as much as good IEMs do. As of mics, it's hard to come across a dual mic(with one for NC). 

If you have one of those 3.5mm cable mic from V-Moda, you could get a headphone with 3.5mm input and use it with that cable. For instance, the MDR-1A is much more comfy than the M80s, and will accept V-Moda cables.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 8
I would consider an iem. What would you suggest in that arena? I just prefer non-iem for comfort and trying not to lose my hearing.

Yea the mdr might a good suggestion. Who else makes a good cable like the vmoda with good dual mics? How would I research this question so you don't have to do it for me?

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 8
I would consider an iem. What would you suggest in that arena? I just prefer non-iem for comfort and trying not to lose my hearing.

Yea the mdr might a good suggestion. Who else makes a good cable like the vmoda with good dual mics? How would I research this question so you don't have to do it for me?

The hearing things seems to be myth about IEMs and headphones...IEMs don't cause any more hearing damage than headphones if you listen to them at the same volume. It's the SPL that does, and SPL isn't effected by whether you use an IEM or a headphone. In fact, IEMs could save your hearing as they isolate more, allowing you to hear more at a lower SPL. 

Frankly, I'm not aware of other dual mic cable manufacturers. Dual mics are fairly rare. Most cables have one mic.

In terms of IEMs, Westone's Alpha series comes with a built in mic and have great isolation. Similar styles of IEMs, such as that of Westone and Shure provides extreme isolation. 

If you want an IEM just for calls and don't mind single ear IEMs, Ety Com was designed almost specifically for that. I haven't heard it, but it's supposed to have one of the best mics and isolation, and are meant for calls. The mics aren't dual mics, but it's directional, meaning it will reject all noise coming from places except your mouth. They're also pretty damn cheap and the isolation is far beyond anything possible with modern NC technology(they isolate more than CIEMs).
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/headsets/er22.html

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 8
You can look into a used Logitech UE6000. I got them for $40

They are ANC but the ANC aren't that great but more of a bass boost. It works great without anc or batteries to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back