Portable headphones for walking
Jun 25, 2017 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

smy1

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a another portable headphone for me just walking around my school to class for around $200 with my cayin i5 and nx1 topping and may upgrade my portable amp. I had the ue6000 and I think they were really boring headphone, the amperiors were just uncomfortable and were to aggressive, the Bose QC 15 were very comfortable and sound was great. The vmoda m80s were to small for my head but the m100s were very fun and I really liked it so that is my option with the closed DT line up. I looked into the onkyo Es fc but heard they have a huge QC issue and tried the custom one and didn't like them. I prefer good isolation with Fun sounding headphones or something that has good mids and wide soundstage for vocals. I am not really picky on the sound signature but nothing boring sounding like the re400. I mainly listen to pop/edm and listen to a lot of vocals.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 3
With such a good DAP, you are not doing any good to the audio quality by adding the Topping NX1. The internal amp of the Cayin i5 is already better than the NX1. Besides, for portable headphones, you often don't need a portable amp to make them sound at their best. It's a much better idea to put your money into the weakest link: the headphones.

As for which headphones I would recommend; I think the Urbaites are some of the more 'fun' sounding.
If you are looking for more quality, perhaps you could try the Audeze Sine. This is however a completely different price range.
By giving up some of the sound stage, you can also get much better isolation and detail with custom IEMs. For portable use, I usually prefer customs myself.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 3
With such a good DAP, you are not doing any good to the audio quality by adding the Topping NX1. The internal amp of the Cayin i5 is already better than the NX1. Besides, for portable headphones, you often don't need a portable amp to make them sound at their best. It's a much better idea to put your money into the weakest link: the headphones.

As for which headphones I would recommend; I think the Urbaites are some of the more 'fun' sounding.
If you are looking for more quality, perhaps you could try the Audeze Sine. This is however a completely different price range.
By giving up some of the sound stage, you can also get much better isolation and detail with custom IEMs. For portable use, I usually prefer customs myself.

Didn't know the i5 had a built in amp. I used the topping for the bose QC 15 because some reason these are hard to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back