Portable Headphone Amp Upgrade for iPod Classic
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #31 of 39
I received "The National" today. I'll post a better and more detailed update in the next few days. So far, I've noticed the highs aren't deafening anymore on the R-50. The ATH-M35 seems to have a better soundstage and possibly better mids.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:
As the title indicates, I'm interested in upgrading my headphone amp. I currently have the FiiO E11 and the rest of my rig is in my signature. I've been looking at iBasso, RSA and ALO Audio and I'm looking to spend around $250.00. The E11 has a bit of hissing with my R-50 and I even notice it a bit with my full sized headphones. I'm looking for a metal amp, not the cheaper plastic iBasso ones and I'd prefer that the amp be an amp only, not including a DAC that isn't compatible with iDevices. If the amp costs $300.00 or more, I'll consider it, but I'm trying to save money, so please refrain from suggesting things above my current budget.

I've already ordered a custom LOD from Chris_Himself, so the higher-quality LOD is taken care of.

In the near future, I'll likely buy new IEMs and possibly headphones, so the rig will be put to good use. I'm also wondering if getting a balanced amp is worth the extra money since I might upgrade to a balanced external DAC in a year or two. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been researching amps constantly (my addiction :D) and I'm still not quite sure what to get.

What is your typical listening volume according to a sound meter? The Fiio 6 and 11 aren't supposed to introduce hiss unless you are listening at a very high volume.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:
What is your typical listening volume according to a sound meter? The Fiio 6 and 11 aren't supposed to introduce hiss unless you are listening at a very high volume.

I only get hiss with my low impedance R-50 IEMs and at normal levels 3-4 on low gain on the E11.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #34 of 39
I just realized how out of date this thread is which is funny since it's my own.

Portable: iPod Classic > Custom 24AWG OFC Chris_Himself/Ted LOD > ALO The National > ATH-M35 (almost exclusively) or R-50.

I love this setup with the ATH-M35, but I need to upgrade my headphones and I'll probably buy the DT 1350, but I do like lots of things about the HD25-1 II more like the cable and their proven durability. I just won't get the HD25-1 II because I've read multiple times that the mids aren't that great, and as a jazz and classical listener, mids are most important to me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #35 of 39
I recently bought the JDS C5 portable Amp (in Red), to use with my iPod classic and Shure SE535 Red Ltd.

I am using the ALO Audio CRYO SXC 18 LOD with this setup and it's stunning.

I also bought the iBasso D-Zero to use as a DAC from my MacBook Pro. The JDS C5 came much more highly recommended as a portable Amp however, so I went with that for portable listening. Am very happy with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:
I recently bought the JDS C5 portable Amp (in Red), to use with my iPod classic and Shure SE535 Red Ltd.

I am using the ALO Audio CRYO SXC 18 LOD with this setup and it's stunning.

I also bought the iBasso D-Zero to use as a DAC from my MacBook Pro. The JDS C5 came much more highly recommended as a portable Amp however, so I went with that for portable listening. Am very happy with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like an awesome setup! I'm now looking for on-ear or more portable over-ear headphones, and not IEMs.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #37 of 39
i see you already bought an amp.... i was going to recommend an oldie but a goodie.... alo rx .... the original one.  Still one of the best amp's i've used...and i've used quite a bit of them

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #39 of 39

Quote:
i see you already bought an amp.... i was going to recommend an oldie but a goodie.... alo rx .... the original one.  Still one of the best amp's i've used...and i've used quite a bit of them

I was interested in that amp as well, but I like the price of The National, and I wanted the sound signature people have been describing it as having.

Not to hijack the thread...if the music is recorded well I generally like it...

I am not a fan of classical but a live show with a real orchestra is simply amazing.

I guess that's kind of also like me. I do like jazz and classical, but more than anything, the sound technicians, artists, and listeners actually care about the sound quality, so the end product is usually better whether you like the song or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back