Portable enclosure group buy? [extrutech chassis]
Oct 28, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #46 of 59
Well in case anyone wants to look at the full price sheet I was sent here it is:

Excel Worksheet

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #47 of 59
Do they all have to be the same type and size to get those prices?

I'd be more interested in a couple of the larger boxes, 1 inch tall wouldn't work for many of my projects.

Oct 29, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #48 of 59
I asked him this early on as I was interested in getting one of the larger ones as well, but the price cuts based on quantity are only good if you buy that many of one enclosure... also, I would imagine that the other enclosures would have different prices than the RS-5010.

EDIT: I would possibly be interested in changing the group buy to the RS-5020 if there was more interest... but I would have to request another quote. Let me know.

Oct 29, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #50 of 59
Pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about these cases vs. the 1455
series (and similar) from Hammond? I'm seeing minor differences in the ridges
on the cases, and that's about it. Are these minor differences worth the 3-5x
increase in price to you guys?

Maybe someone can do a side-by-side comparison for me, but, from the
schematics on the websites, I can't see why anyone is really interested in
this - especially at the given prices.

Lastly, are these prices in Canadian or American dollars? I'm in Canada, as
well, and the prices would be marginally more palatable if they were in my
native currency.

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #51 of 59
Philodox, not to step on your toes or anything, but I went ahead and requested a quote from my distributor in Seattle, Washington. If nothing else, we can compare prices - he's usually very responsive, although he was out of the office today. I'm sure that I'll get one by tomorrow afternoon and I'll post it here, then we can all look and see if there's a difference. Keep your fingers crossed!

-Drew

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #52 of 59
i agree with roadbuster. theyre too similar atm for me to say YES YES YES. perhaps we should look at the 3025 for a group buy? the 5010 only fits a pimeta. the 3025 is markedly different from the hammonds. drewd mentioned it may only be $40 in quantities of 10, much less then the quanty of 10 price for the 6" 5010

Oct 29, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #53 of 59
By all means drewd... I dont think we are going to get enough people to make it worth buying from extrutech directly anyways.

As for the differences between the hammonds and the extrutech... well they look like they have better built quality to me. I have a pimeta in a hammond and it looks flimsy when comparing it to the extrutech chassis. Look at how solid the cosmic looks... or that pic that we linked early on in this thread. I also think that the extrutech chassis look a hell of a lot better. But that is all subjective.

Perhaps drewd could give a better comparison assuming he has seena and held a hammond before.

Drewd... if you do get a better price let me know and maybe we should start a new thread [you can open it if you'd like]... I can continue to be the Canadian drop point if anyone up here is still interested.

Thanks,

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #54 of 59
i would be interested in a larger chassis... the 1" chassis dosent even fit a locking 1/4" unless you mount it sideways...

a 5020 at least would make a nice PPA case if you get it in like 8"

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #55 of 59
I need something that is going to fit in my traveller bag... I think I could fit the 2" one if I reorganized things a bit [since I dont need a CD wallet]... but the 8" length would make it too large for me.

Hopefully drewd finds that his supplier can give us more variety.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #56 of 59
I would like to participate in the group buy. I am new to this DIY stuff so I don't have opinion to size but I like the look and the info that I see. Have we checked with the manufacturer to see if we could combine a couple of different models and get a better price. They say that these are standard sizes so it would seem that it might be possible to get the 25 or 50 quantity if we could pool 2 or maybe 3 versions together. Maybe they would be willing to put us somewhere between the quantity prices. Have we asked if we were not in a hurry to let us add to a future production run. If not I think the idea of working with a distributer might work out ok if we can wait until his next bulk buy.

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #57 of 59
Unfortunately you only get the good pricing if it is the same enclosure.

so we would need 50 RS-5010's or 50 RS-5020's to get the 50 quantity price... We could not get 25 RS-5010's and 25 RS-5020's... hopefully drewds supplier can give us a good price at lower quantities though.

Nov 2, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #58 of 59
The Extrutech rep in Seattle quoted me these prices (in US$):

10 pieces: $50 each
25 pieces: $30 each
50 pieces: $21.75
100 pieces: $16.85

Unfortunately, that's not much of a better deal. They're just expensive cases, no matter how you work around it!

-Drew

Nov 2, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #59 of 59
Looks like it might not be worth it unless we get a lot of people... Most people dont seem to like them fro portable applications and for home amps the big long box types work just as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back