Portable DVD with mp3 only?
Jan 18, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #16 of 22
Feb 1, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000460027653/

Doesn't exactly scream "buy me!" based on looks and specs but it might be the only one of its kind right now.

Thank you very much for your reply. This DVD-portable looks promising to me - battery-life is not important for me. It will come out in February. I will hang on...
Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #18 of 22
Coby also has this unit:

c9d.jpg

It has an optical line out, rechargable battery capacity and screeen, and it retails for around 200 dollars here in Mexico. I am guessing it's even cheaper in the U.S.

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 22
Wow, I'd never thought about burning mp3s on dvds before, guess I'm a little on the slow side when it comes to tech stuff.
rolleyes.gif

So has anyone tried any of these players before? Reviews?

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Wow, I'd never thought about burning mp3s on dvds before, guess I'm a little on the slow side when it comes to tech stuff.
rolleyes.gif

So has anyone tried any of these players before? Reviews?

I have burned about a dozen mp3 DVD´s with playlists and they run great on my stationary Panasonic DVD-Player. On the TV the playlists with every track-name are displayed so that I can select what to hear. That´s a bit inconvenient but it works. To audio-out of the player I have connected the Porta-Corda from Meier which amplifies the headphone (UE10Pro). Ok, I agree that it´s a rather funny setup but it works. I use the DVD´s also as backup in case any harddisc fails. I burn them however with single speed only - takes long (about 50 minutes per disc) but works great. It seems that not all DVD players can actually play mp3-DVD´s - they can mostly play only mp3-CD´s. Therefore the question of portable mp3-DVD-able players came up. Funny that the industry doesn´t offer much - especially when the market for any mp3 device booms. Maybe the player would be to large for many?
lambda.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Coby also has this unit:

It has an optical line out, rechargable battery capacity and screeen, and it retails for around 200 dollars here in Mexico. I am guessing it's even cheaper in the U.S.

This appears to be a Coby TF-DVD500, and it is readily available in the US for about $170. Has anyone positively confirmed that this is really able to play MP3 DVDs?

Feb 3, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilbur
This appears to be a Coby TF-DVD500, and it is readily available in the US for about $170. Has anyone positively confirmed that this is really able to play MP3 DVDs?

I found out on a website that it doesn't play DVD-MP3. They also mentioned how fragile it feels, being all plastic. Anyway, I'll check it out to see if I can get it for my b'day in May. It has a one year warranty, so maybe I'll take the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back