Portable DVD with mp3 only?
Dec 10, 2004 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

UAndy

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know if there is a small portable DVD-player (like portable CD-players) who plays only mp3 music, without all the video-stuff? That would be a great alternative for hard-disc-players. Would anyone buy such a device - or do you think it´s nonsense?
Greetings from Germany...
lambda.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 22
I was thinking of this just the other day!
I think it would be a great idea to have a DVD portable mp3 player - hours of music cheaply......
Wouldn't need a hard drive, would be just like a mp3 portable CD player, just with dvds......
I'd buy it... depending on cost!

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 22
Yes, I was thinking about that the other day too. Another good idea would be to manufacture a 3" DVD/mp3 player to make it even more portable.
I hope iRiver will support DVD/mp3 playback in their future iMP models, but who knows....
confused.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 22
I'm not sure how big this is but the TraxData TravelStudio is due for release in mid-December and might be just what you're looking for and more....
600smile.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 22
Thank you for all the answers. The Orbit-Sleek comes rather close to what I was looking for. It will be interesting to see what products the industry offers concerning multi-purpose devices like Traxdata.
Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 22
I have a portable DVD Player (APEX) and several home DVD players with MP3 capability and none of them will play a DVD disc with MP3's recorded to it. On all of them I get a "disc not recognized" or a "no disc" error. Seems like this would be such a simple thing to implement.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 22
same here. i have a pioneer dvd home stereo system here in the office. it can only play mp3-cd but not mp3-dvd.

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 22
Seems that I am lucky: I use Roxio DVD-Creator and Pioneer-05 DVD-burner with low-cost Princo DVD -R. I always record with single speed - takes longer but the player works perfectly with these discs. As analog DVD-player I use a Panasonic combi with VHS recorder in one housing. This unit is id3-tag compatible. As soon as a Mp3-DVD is inserted it reads the information in and displays the folders and files (Mp3 music data) on-screen. With the remote-control I can pick out any song which is on the DVD and play it. The only disadvantage is that it is not portable - therefore this thread.
Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by UAndy
Seems that I am lucky: I use Roxio DVD-Creator and Pioneer-05 DVD-burner with low-cost Princo DVD -R. I always record with single speed - takes longer but the player works perfectly with these discs. As analog DVD-player I use a Panasonic combi with VHS recorder in one housing. This unit is id3-tag compatible. As soon as a Mp3-DVD is inserted it reads the information in and displays the folders and files (Mp3 music data) on-screen. With the remote-control I can pick out any song which is on the DVD and play it. The only disadvantage is that it is not portable - therefore this thread.
Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

I never thought the process of burning the dvd affects the readability of the dvd to some players. Will try the 1x or 2x speed and see if my pioneer ev51 dvd stereo can read it. thanks for posting that information.

Dec 14, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 22
I tryed 2x speed with Princo -R´s and the better TDK -R´s and they both didn´t work: After reading in the playback jumps and the tracking is lost causing alarming noises from the DVD-player. So 1x speed is the only thing to do - at least in my setup. Maybe newer equipment works better...
lambda.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 22
Looks good although different prices appear on ebay and on the manufacturer web-site. I have specificially asked the Orbit-Sleek-manufacturer for DVD mp3 and id3tag compatibility. No answer yet - might be too early. Anyhow thanks a lot for all replies. Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back