Portable DAP for Tidal
Nov 28, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #107 of 136
I'm starting to get really frustarted with my X5 Gen3's Tidal support. Not using my phone as my music player is a godsend but I fear I may have to go back to it because of the glitches and stutters that come in during my listening sessions. Having Tidal means I have access to millions of songs but I'm quicly brought back down to earth after five or six. First world probz over here.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #108 of 136
I'm starting to get really frustarted with my X5 Gen3's Tidal support. Not using my phone as my music player is a godsend but I fear I may have to go back to it because of the glitches and stutters that come in during my listening sessions. Having Tidal means I have access to millions of songs but I'm quicly brought back down to earth after five or six. First world probz over here.
Yes, this has rendered the x5iii almost useless for me. It does the same thing with Google play music as well.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #109 of 136
Yes, this has rendered the x5iii almost useless for me. It does the same thing with Google play music as well.

It seems to work when it wants to. I've taken 90min train rides listening the whole time and after a few weeks it seems I have to reset everything to scratch and it gets less fussy. Currently I'm refusing the X5 any idle or sleep time and I reformatted my SD cards to NTFS. Hopefully this will help but I seriously doubt it. I knew this thing was too good to be true. They need to address this in a firmware update soon.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #110 of 136
Very doubtful that it is a firmware issue. On the actual thread for this dap, some of us collectively figured out its most likely a cpu problem. This dap and others use a very cheap cpu chip. I believe it was called rockchip. Basically it has so little processing power that it lags and that appears as skipping, crackling, etc during playback. Best any of us could do was shut down every process possible and disable everything other than Tidal and this still only extended the amount of time between when it would start acting up again.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #111 of 136
I started this thread nearly two years ago. Streaming had become a mainstream way of consuming music. DAP manufactures seen incapable of producing a player that streams flawlessly. My old iPhone 5s does the job perfectly. What is the problem? Get with the programme Fiio Onkyo Pioneer etc!

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #112 of 136
Hi. I’m going thinking about subscribing to tidal hifi on my iPhone 7 Plus. I’m using Spotify premium now. If I go with tidal hifi will my iPhone downsample or will I be fine? I guess what I wanna know is it worth the switch with using an Apple phone? Thank you

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #113 of 136
Hi. I’m going thinking about subscribing to tidal hifi on my iPhone 7 Plus. I’m using Spotify premium now. If I go with tidal hifi will my iPhone downsample or will I be fine? I guess what I wanna know is it worth the switch with using an Apple phone? Thank you
If you are switching purely for SQ then I honestly would not bother.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #115 of 136

Personally I couldn't go back to spotify. Many people say there's no difference but to me it's night and day. But if I were purely using it with just an iPhone dongle I'd skip it. As far as downsampling goes it shouldnt because Tidal is 16/44.1 on mobile but on the desktop app there are some MQA albums from artist like Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, and Goriallz that are 24 bit. I'd suggest trying to find a free trial just to give it listen though.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #116 of 136
Yes just want better sq. I really don’t mind Spotify premium. But for 30 bucks Canadian for tidal and not much different I’m thinking it’s reqlly not with it. Thanks buddy !

Personally I couldn't go back to spotify. Many people say there's no difference but to me it's night and day. But if I were purely using it with just an iPhone dongle I'd skip it. As far as downsampling goes it shouldnt because Tidal is 16/44.1 on mobile but on the desktop app there are some MQA albums from artist like Led Zeppelin, The Smiths, and Goriallz that are 24 bit. I'd suggest trying to find a free trial just to give it listen though.

I thought there was a big difference in SQ and was very excited until I realised that Tidal plays slightly louder than Spotify. Volume match even crudely and for n me, the difference disappears. I went with Tidal because I hope it is a more sustainable business model for artists. That's probably naive! Yes. Get a free trial and see what you think for yourself. Be very wary of placebo etcetera!!

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #117 of 136
I thought there was a big difference in SQ and was very excited until I realised that Tidal plays slightly louder than Spotify. Volume match even crudely and for n me, the difference disappears. I went with Tidal because I hope it is a more sustainable business model for artists. That's probably naive! Yes. Get a free trial and see what you think for yourself. Be very wary of placebo etcetera!!
That’s awesome thank you !

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #120 of 136
Which dap with play the MQA Tidal files?

I don't know any DAPs that support MQA. USB audio player pro will pass through the 24-bit files but it is not native MQA. Luckioy in March he Hiby R6 will be released which has a snapdragon processor and 3gb RAM and by passes Android audio protocols altogether; so that DAP and UAPP will be your best bet for portable MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back