Portable DAP for streaming / desktop use <$200 budget
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

str0be

New Head-Fier
Hey all, looking to get my first proper DAP (outside of ipods in the past). I've got a few on my list so far to consider, but I wanted to share what my thoughts are and get any input. This will be primarily for a set of Fiio FH3

Wants:
WiFi (spotify/soundcloud support would be great - seems like android is my only option there)
Bluetooth - getting something like a btr3 / 5k seems like it'd be perfect for IEM's on the go. Not very reasonable with my phone since it only supports the lowest possible quality (BBkey1)
Desktop amp/dac support from windows

So far I'm considering: HiBy r3 pro saber, 190 shipped right now, does NOT support spotify/soundcloud
Pioneer xdp-100r-k, can be had for ~200 used on ebay but is also a 6 year old unit not sure if battery is replaceable on this

Any other suggestions?

edit: Most of the music I listen to is electronic of some sort. From lo-fi beats to deep drum & bass or electro if that makes any difference here. I know the fh3 are easy to drive, but I also know the low end will always benefit from having more juice there

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 13
There aren't a lot of streaming services that do high-res anyway, so you might as well just get an Iphone to replace your current phone and act as DAP / or just Ipod.

I've had Ipod 7 and it was a comfortable experience, sound was good enough.

Other than that, I think the only real option that can do flac is Walkman NW-A55 but it won't support external dacs, I think. No streaming there.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 13
I won't ever own an apple product purchased on my own dime... Good note on streaming services I know they don't get to FLAC level quality without Tidal or similar service. I have seen some people vouch for the LG phones, but I'd really like a smaller DAP and keep my BB as daily driver for phone use.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Hey all, looking to get my first proper DAP (outside of ipods in the past). I've got a few on my list so far to consider, but I wanted to share what my thoughts are and get any input. This will be primarily for a set of Fiio FH3

Wants:
WiFi (spotify/soundcloud support would be great - seems like android is my only option there)
Bluetooth - getting something like a btr3 / 5k seems like it'd be perfect for IEM's on the go. Not very reasonable with my phone since it only supports the lowest possible quality (BBkey1)
Desktop amp/dac support from windows

So far I'm considering: HiBy r3 pro saber, 190 shipped right now, does NOT support spotify/soundcloud
Pioneer xdp-100r-k, can be had for ~200 used on ebay but is also a 6 year old unit not sure if battery is replaceable on this

Any other suggestions?

edit: Most of the music I listen to is electronic of some sort. From lo-fi beats to deep drum & bass or electro if that makes any difference here. I know the fh3 are easy to drive, but I also know the low end will always benefit from having more juice there

I would strongly suggest a used Hiby R5 or R5s. I have seen them for less than $200. This is a fantastic DAP especially at that price. No real compromises here with the main complaint being somewhat weak wifi (which is true for many DAPs).

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 13
I would strongly suggest a used Hiby R5 or R5s. I have seen them for less than $200. This is a fantastic DAP especially at that price. No real compromises here with the main complaint being somewhat weak wifi (which is true for many DAPs).

Also this, for a little more. I own both of these. The Shanling has better wifi and battery life if that's important:

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/shanling-m3x.10089/

As always, do some research. Both of these have threads here.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 13
I won't ever own an apple product purchased on my own dime... Good note on streaming services I know they don't get to FLAC level quality without Tidal or similar service. I have seen some people vouch for the LG phones, but I'd really like a smaller DAP and keep my BB as daily driver for phone use.
Lol ok

they still make some of the most comfortable hardware. Are you a teen? I used to rebel against popular things when I was in teens.

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Lol ok

they still make some of the most comfortable hardware. Are you a teen? I used to rebel against popular things when I was in teens.
Not in the slightest, should have worded that differently. I feel that Apple died with Steve, it used to be a great company (not taking a jab at profitability, they do wonders for investors). When's the last time they did something innovative to justify the top tier price tag? They take tech from the android / linux space and put their marketing team to work to make it seem impressive 2 years later when they implement it and present to their loyal customers who are trapped (apple ID across numerous devices etc). It's a form of a digital prison, where moving outside of their ecosystem is more trouble than it's worth for most of their customers. In summary, I don't support their business practices, think they're a terrible value when you look at the price, and find android / Windows OS to suit me far better. Believe it or not, outside of a physical keyboard the integration of the BB software with Android is one of the main factors keeping me there.

Didn't mean to get on a rant there, but we could go back n forth all day as to why not Apple. I have to use a macbook for work, and outside of the premium, elegant physical build it's a POS. Promise you it has nothing to do with trying to 'rebel against popular things'

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 13
update: Looking to grab a fiio m6. It fits the budget, has wifi, will stream spotify, desktop dac function, and fit near perfect with my a3 if I want to stack a little amp. Might try to snag a used one off ebay for even less seems like a good all around bargain for streaming

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 13
update: Looking to grab a fiio m6. It fits the budget, has wifi, will stream spotify, desktop dac function, and fit near perfect with my a3 if I want to stack a little amp. Might try to snag a used one off ebay for even less seems like a good all around bargain for streaming

I don't think the M6 is as capable as my other suggestions but if it meets your needs, enjoy. Be aware that it doesn't have google play so apps will have to be side-loaded. I have never owned/tried the M6 so research is important. It is definitely a small device.

Here is the thread if you haven't already found it:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ic-player-embracing-a-wireless-future.895315/

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't think the M6 is as capable as my other suggestions but if it meets your needs, enjoy. Be aware that it doesn't have google play so apps will have to be side-loaded. I have never owned/tried the M6 so research is important. It is definitely a small device.

Here is the thread if you haven't already found it:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ic-player-embracing-a-wireless-future.895315/
Yea I definitely see losing some of the android freedom, all comes down to a price tradeoff. Seeing if any ebay sellers will take $100 for one to save some coin to spend elsewhere. Starts to lose it's edge approaching the 150+ range

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 13
Going to look up some hands on reviews & specs on this now. Looks pretty nice!

edit: that unit is already sold. Worth keeping on the radar though
Since you're talking radar.. you can check out hifishark (e.g. https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=shanling+m3x) for listings across multiple platforms. Currently there appears to be an m3x on eBay. You can also let them notify you by mail whenever a unit is added to the listings.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 13
M6 + A3 + FH3. Only had a couple hours playing with it so far but satisfying my basshead needs & the a3/m6 are a perfect fit to stack :ksc75smile:
IMG_20210904_1452137.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back