portable dac/amp with burr brown chips
Jul 4, 2021 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i love the synergy of my hd25 alu and the ifi black nano idsd but the headphone input socket is beginning to cause issues as the headphone jack needs moving around in the socket to keep the signal.

What portable amp/dacs that will work with or without a battery ie the battery can be removed if wished have burr brown chips.

Any ideas?

d

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi i love the synergy of my hd25 alu and the ifi black nano idsd but the headphone input socket is beginning to cause issues as the headphone jack needs moving around in the socket to keep the signal.

What portable amp/dacs that will work with or without a battery ie the battery can be removed if wished have burr brown chips.

Any ideas?

d

Outside of the Objective2, can you give me an example of an amp/dac (with any dac chip) that has a removable battery and works stationary?

Don't own it, so can't be 100% sure, but I believe the Meier PCStep has BB/TI chipset & can accept removable battery or external DC via USB or seperate power supply.

Also FWIW headphone jacks are often repairable - either for an out of warranty fee by manufacturer, or diy/repair shop if a suitable part can be located (sometimes even just needs a bit of cleaning w/ deoxit etc..).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 6
Higher end Burr Brown DAC are out of fashion these days for portable / semi-portable use and iFi seems to be the only company that is still using it (though lower end Burr Brown DAC can still be found everywhere, though not nearly as good as what iFi is using). If you are really into the Burr Brown sound, iFi is probably going to be the only option.

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 6
ifi Hip-Dac is probably your best (or maybe only?) bet.

EDIT: I forgot that the iDSD range is supposed to be portable too. I wonder if any of them bypass charging once they're fully charged like some phones/laptops do to preserve battery health, would certainly help keep the battery alive in the long run.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 6
The HM1000 by Hifiman has 3 configurations available with BB chips.

Red version- 2 PCM1702K
Silver- 2 PCM1704K
Gold/Black- 4 PCM1704K

Hope this helps. If you have any questions just send me a PM

Alfredo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back