portable DAC+amp suggestions to power DT880 and HD650
Feb 2, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gnychis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a portable DAC+amp combo to power a pair of DT880s and HD650s in my lab. I don't leave the headphones over night in fear of them getting stolen, so all equipment must be picked up and moved. So, a portable dac+amp would be ideal. However, it doesn't have to be super portable like the Predator, since it doesn't need to fit in my pocket or anything while listening to the headphones. Just needs to fit in compartment in my backpack
wink.gif

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

I was looking at this, but I don't know if it's powerful enough:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...-hpdac-277095/

Thanks!
George

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 6
The Pico above seems to fit the bill. It was tested on the HD650, unfortunately there are quite a few people waiting for them, including myself, btw I also will be powering a pair of HD650's.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 6
even though you have stated it doesnt have to be a predator. I still want to say the HD650 really synergizes with the predator very well.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't know about the Pico, I tested it with my HD650 yesterday and I really don't think it powered them enough, but than again, I don't think almost any portable amp will drive the HD650's properly. I think my PPAS does an OK job (I like it A LOT more than the Pico), but still it's not nearly as good as a stationary amp. The Larocco PRII and Diablo did a pretty good job too.

Not to bash the Pico, it sounds nice and compares well to other portables. It's great for what it is - a tiny portable solution, but I don't think almost anything portable should be "recommended" to drive HD650.

I have an HPDAC, it's OK, but again, not enough power to drive HD650's properly.

If size isn't an issue, check out the Lisa III (expensive, but a great amp). A portable Pimeta with LMH6321 buffers running off 2x 9V would also fit the bill (not many people get this amp, I don't know why, it's fantastic bang/buck).

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Interesting, now you got me thinking. For some reason I was under the impression that the Pico did quite well with 650's as this was one of the primary sets he did testing with.

I am now very curious to see this thread develop as I am in the market for the exact same thing to drive my 650's. I don't need something as small as the pico/predator either but something I can still put in a bag and take with me.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, the DAC in there is pretty wonderful - PCM2707 USB receiver, AD1896 re-clocker and a WM8740 DAC. A great little combination in a small package. The DAC is fantastic, no doubt about that. The amp though is still just an AD8397 and although it's a great chip, I still prefer the sound of a good opamp + buffer. I've built and owned quite a few amps that use this chip (PINT, XP, Mini3) and of course, matched with assorted opamps for ground (LM6171, AD8397 again, OPA690, etc). I still proffered my Pimeta, PPAS and when I had it, the Xin SuperMacro (4x buffers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back