Portable DAC/amp recommendations
Apr 7, 2021 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hawson

New Head-Fier
I'm a student and am trying to get some portable dac for when I'm using my laptop on campus. I bought the starfields and an Xduoo XD-05 basic as my source. While the starfields sound fine, I am hearing a slight hiss from the XD-05. It's not audible when listening to music but extremely annoying when I'm not. Also, it's annoying having to plug in two cables to the XD-05 when using my laptop (one for data and one for charging). Does anyone have any recommendations for a portable dac/amp that I can use easily with my laptop? My budget is around $150 but I could go slightly higher if necessary. Just looking for something to get a clean signal out of my laptop. I don't really need anything to use on the go because the dac in my phone is actually pretty nice. Thanks!

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 9
El-cheapo recommendation could be audioquest dragonfly or something similar. I have not heard them.

Just the fact anybody responded will now lead to thousands of pages of opposing posts :D

Don't thank me, just throw money...

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 9
you could go for the ddHiFi TC44B or the Zerda ITM03 based on the reviews in HeadFi.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Look at Earmen, Dragonfly Black, Periodic Audio has a small dongle that produces great sound. There are many great choices out there. And as soon as you select one you'll want another. And another...

Dec 9, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Even if you don't need anything on the go I would still go Qudelix 5K, you can use it as a desktop dac, it is quite powerful and you can move around your computer more freely if you go with bluetooth. Bonus : you get a parametric equalizer with it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Hidizs DH80S. Been very happy with mine. Zero issues with hiss. Plenty of power for any IEM and most over-ears. Supports MQA if you care about that. Has its own battery so it doesn't drain your phone. ~$125

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back