Portable DAC/AMP for iPhone 7 w Low impedance headphones
Jun 4, 2017 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

flippant1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for a DAC/AMP of my iPhone 7 to use directly with my Shure 1540 and Shure 535 headphones.

I am had tested a Fifo Q1 and A3 and am now interested in the Fii0 17K and Dragonfly Black with Apple USB to lightning cable. I really want the utility/soiund of a DAC. I did not hear any significant difference and understand that it passed through if plugged directly form an iPhone and not a USB source.

Can someone straighten me out on my options. I have scoured the net but am still confused on using a device like the 17K with the iPhone, my primary source.

If the amplifier is plugged directly through the line input on either unit, will the DAC be disabled?
If so is there any work around perhaps using the Apple USB to lightning converter cable?
Can either of the units be used as a portable DAC directly with an iPhone 7?

Any recommendations in the price range or a bit higher. I hesitate with the Dragonfly as there is no eq. or tone control, and would prefer a separate power source not to drain my already underpowered phone/player.

Thanks for you input.

Respectfully submitted.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Before going out and buying a amp/DAC for your iPhone, just know that Apple changed something in iOS 10.3 and now most people are having severe issues running a wide variety of amp/DACs on Apple products now. So hold off on a purchase till it has been sorted out.

Currently, in your price bracket, I'm running a Zorloo Zuperdac with the latest CCK USB 3 version (the one with a USB and lightning port on it). It sounds great for the size and portability. Just need to deal with a long dongle chain and a roughly 7% battery drain an hour if you are only listening to music. I'm getting a Dragonfly Black later this week to compare with. I hear the Dragonflies are much more efficient and drain battery less.

As for EQ, any app you use you can EQ liked normal and it will effect the sound output to the attached DAC.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
I am also looking for a solution for my iPad mini 4 which I bought for offline Tidal library a while ago.I am thinking about a Chord Mojo but not sure if it is still the best option due to future compatibility with MQA.

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 13
I think the Dragonfly Black and Red are the only portable amp/DACs with MQA as of the latest firmware.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I think the Dragonfly Black and Red are the only portable amp/DACs with MQA as of the latest firmware.

I guess we have Meridian Explorer 2 and Mytek Digital’s Clef as well.

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 13
That's good to know. Gonna go read up on the Meridian Explorer 2 now.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 13
Before going out and buying a amp/DAC for your iPhone, just know that Apple changed something in iOS 10.3 and now most people are having severe issues running a wide variety of amp/DACs on Apple products now. So hold off on a purchase till it has been sorted out.

Currently, in your price bracket, I'm running a Zorloo Zuperdac with the latest CCK USB 3 version (the one with a USB and lightning port on it). It sounds great for the size and portability. Just need to deal with a long dongle chain and a roughly 7% battery drain an hour if you are only listening to music. I'm getting a Dragonfly Black later this week to compare with. I hear the Dragonflies are much more efficient and drain battery less.

As for EQ, any app you use you can EQ liked normal and it will effect the sound output to the attached DAC.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Hello,

I am looking for a DAC/AMP of my iPhone 7 to use directly with my Shure 1540 and Shure 535 headphones.

I am had tested a Fifo Q1 and A3 and am now interested in the Fii0 17K and Dragonfly Black with Apple USB to lightning cable. I really want the utility/soiund of a DAC. I did not hear any significant difference and understand that it passed through if plugged directly form an iPhone and not a USB source.

Can someone straighten me out on my options. I have scoured the net but am still confused on using a device like the 17K with the iPhone, my primary source.

If the amplifier is plugged directly through the line input on either unit, will the DAC be disabled?
If so is there any work around perhaps using the Apple USB to lightning converter cable?
Can either of the units be used as a portable DAC directly with an iPhone 7?

Any recommendations in the price range or a bit higher. I hesitate with the Dragonfly as there is no eq. or tone control, and would prefer a separate power source not to drain my already underpowered phone/player.

Thanks for you input.

Respectfully submitted.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 13
I bought the Dragonfly Black 1.5. It gives a significant boost to the output with the iPhone 7 10.3.2. It also seem to enhance the sound though to be perfectly frank, using the Shure 1540s without an A/B switch to test, I cant tell if the improvement is dramatic. Somethings seem "brighter" if I am using the term correctly. The Fiio A3 brings more volume but with the 44.1 files I AAC files I play, the difference is certainly not night and day. I hear more of an improvement in bass output with my Shure 535s.

I believe there is an enhancement of some of the music I play, mostly studio music that has been mastered or remastered in the lat decade. I am still searching for a "headphone system" that delivers clean natural sound with a slight V. I am puzzled that the Shure actually may be too bassy for me at louder volumes especially the the DAC/AMP.

I have been on the search for a great iems for the last 10 years and settled with the 535's after interviewing literally dozens or highly recommended sets. Now the quest for great sound was expanded in full cans and the Senn 650's seemed to fit the bill but were too high impedance and I really need a closed headphone. I'm driving my wife nuts as it is. I really don't want to have a cumbersome setup as I move from room to room. Perhaps if/when I have multiple headsets it may be easier.

To answer the reply, the Dragonfly works fine with the iPhone 7 and the amping is significant, but the jury is still out on the DAC. I appreciate the suggestions and replys.

RS

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 13
I am still searching for a "headphone system" that delivers clean natural sound with a slight V

I own an HD6XX (which is an HD650 basically) and I can tell you that there is no V shape frequency response in these cans. You better look in apps with EQ or something like iFi products or Oppo HA2-SE which gives a bass boost. Not sure about the impedance matching but as far as i remember, RHA's dac & amp had some treble/mid/bass EQ on their device. You may wanna check that as well.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 13
The $9 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter included in the box is a better DAC + amp than $2000 audiophile garbage. Measurements show it is near flawless.

The output impedance of 0.35 ohms is sufficient to drive even the super low impedance Shure SE846. The only reason to get an external amp is to increase the volume if it's insufficient for your headphones.

Any DAC you attach to the iPhone will degrade the quality to worse than the $9 Lightning adapter.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 13
Measurements aren't everything. Implementation of the electronics is. While the lightning to 3.5 mm adaptor is decent for IEMs and ear buds, it can't drive more demanding headphones properly. Also, for hi-res audio you need an external DAC.

My Zorloo Zuperdac, DFB 1.5, and iDSD BL all beat the snot out of the adaptor, whether it's hi-res or 320 mp3 even, for all my big and small headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 13
"Drive" is thrown around here as a bull term that doesn't mean anything. Measurements by definition are a test of its electronic implementation. The adapter measures flat for all frequencies, for all impedances. The output is flat for any headphone connected to it.

The only limit is the maximum volume. Note that a lower maximum volume does greatly skew the perceived frequency response, since the ear is increasingly less sensitive to lower frequencies as the volume reduces.

Hi-res is bull.
320 over 192 or 256 is bull.
Your DACs are defective (usually by design) if they sound different from the adapter at the same volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back